B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

I've just noticed a symmetry problem. Seems like symmetry doesn't register the mother part's dry mass, and will always revert to 10 when the vessel is loaded in the SPH except when the original dry mass of the part is lower than 10. On the bright side, it seems like it's only isolated with the HX set of part and doesn't affect the other parts.

lpXXYWJ.jpg

Aerodynamic expansion means it's supposed to be a VASMIR-style magnetic nozzle, rather than a MHD plasma thruster?

I could be wrong but I believe a MHD thruster is a magnetohydrodynamic thruster which is exactly what the VASIMR is. The only thing special about the VASIMR is that it can vary it's thrust and ISP depending on the burn that it needs to make. It does stand for variable specific impulse magnetoplasma rocket after all.

I just checked wiki at the time of this post and I believe you mean MPD for magnetoplasmadynamic thruster. Well that is what what you meant and this is semantics for real engines. I can't actually answer your question but I enjoy real space related topics. Carry on.

on an unrelated note - bac9, Tav, and K3 I want to thank you guys again for spending the time to bug test and release by far my favorite mod of KSP. I just want to let you know that I am a spaceplane enthusiast and B9 makes KSP the epic game that I can play hour after hour. Without it, KSP just wouldn't be the same experience.

Are you guys taking suggestions for parts to be made in the future for post 5.0 release? Or will you be making what you feel is best for the b9 pack.

Just a quick note- I have almost 3.5 GB of mods- and the new cockpit for this mod is the only one that causes it to crash.... Any ship built with it works- at least, until I try to reset to the VAB or SPH. It tends to crash then...

I'm feeling a little guilty here about all my yesterday panic. So here's my stable assembly for x64 client of KSP with new B9. Thank you again for proving me your are right.

And warning that "repack" do require 8+ mb of RAM at load. (mine is i7, 16Gb, nvidia 760)

I was suspicious abot TAC FB and LS. I was wrong... particulary. Problem is between different mods. And none of it is B9 so you are cool.

Here' s list:

http://i.imgur.com/ZaB9OaA.png

PS all mods are up to date. If not (i.e KAS) look its forums and do find fan patches.

Just a quick note- I have almost 3.5 GB of mods- and the new cockpit for this mod is the only one that causes it to crash.... Any ship built with it works- at least, until I try to reset to the VAB or SPH. It tends to crash then...

May be it will help you.

Edited by Meltafire

Just pushed a commit that adds the cameras to the cockpits and "Synthetic Vision Display" options on the MFDs, under FTL -> SVD, yes it's technically not synthetic it's a camera but KSP doesn't have 3d modeled maps so, and it's more useful while landing imo to have a camera.

Camera page updated with fixed options for the cameras added to the buttons, next/prev cycles though additional external cameras as you'd expect, going to make a B9 styled aerodynamic version of those JSI external cameras.

The M27 is the only cockpit without cameras now.

If you update to latest version from an old version delete old first, some files got re-named and moved around, if you don't delete old you'll get duplicates.

What the SVD looks like:

YxJ7sIp.png

It's on the left, on the right is the landing assistant.

Gallery showing them in use, and somewhat re-configured Mk2 IVA:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by K3|Chris

Actually, come to think of it, could we have sample files for those ships you've put in the original post?

Bac9 has mentioned he's going to try and make https://i.imgur.com/Nz8P3LQ.jpg a stock craft, he just wants to ensure it actually works and goes somewhere, first picture is an outpost that's basically something you need to build in orbit using EL or similar.

The outpost is what I'm most interested in. I was trying to figure it out and recreate it piece-by-piece myself from references, but honestly I'm stumped and if it's available I'd love to have a look at the finished version.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. There already are hollow parts of all sizes.

Sorry english is not my native language, i may have trouble to express my ideas.

so i made a picture with my unbelievable pro skills.

The HX parts are awesome, we can remove the "walls" and change them as we want, and i like it. thank you for that. But my suggestion is this one:

qFKyBS2.png

Bac9 has mentioned he's going to try and make https://i.imgur.com/Nz8P3LQ.jpg a stock craft, he just wants to ensure it actually works and goes somewhere, first picture is an outpost that's basically something you need to build in orbit using EL or similar.

Considering the HDP/URC had lead poured into them yesterday I would say no, it wont fly.

Just pushed a commit that adds the cameras to the cockpits and "Synthetic Vision Display" options on the MFDs, under FTL -> SVD, yes it's technically not synthetic it's a camera but KSP doesn't have 3d modeled maps so, and it's more useful while landing imo to have a camera.[snipped]

*giggle*

To the person having issues with B9-a/SP+. They run fine for me in x86 even using parts together from both mods. with Another gig and a half of mods on top of those two.

What version? x64 crashes for no apparent reason with everything from time to time, as long as it does not crash all the time anyway.

X64 crashed at the 4gb memory limit for me, and that's before all of the other bugs. Success rate with X64 working seems to be around 50%.

I've just noticed a symmetry problem. Seems like symmetry doesn't register the mother part's dry mass, and will always revert to 10 when the vessel is loaded in the SPH except when the original dry mass of the part is lower than 10. On the bright side, it seems like it's only isolated with the HX set of part and doesn't affect the other parts.

http://i.imgur.com/lpXXYWJ.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for this, I'll make a note to research it.

Anyone happen to know how to add resources to the configurable tanks? (I don't care about having unique textures, just the capacity fill those spaceplane tanks with something else)

You're best off waiting for the MFT config. taniwha's just gonna send them to me direct, but he needs to do al the new parts first.

Considering the HDP/URC had lead poured into them yesterday I would say no, it wont fly.

Yeah, now they're actually balanced. Ie they weigh as much as 35 skippers and 35 lv-ns would mass :D

Yeah, now they're actually balanced. Ie they weigh as much as 35 skippers and 35 lv-ns would mass :D

I don't see 35 Skippers or 35 LN-V's worth of thrust....

Guess I will be gluing 30 LN-V's to my HX ships.

LN-V 2.25T and 60kN

Skipper 3T and 650kN

HPD 105T and 1872kN/5085kN

Edited by Donziboy2

I could be wrong but I believe a MHD thruster is a magnetohydrodynamic thruster which is exactly what the VASIMR is.

An MHD/MPD (same thing) thruster uses magnetic fields to accelerate an ionized fluid (plasma). VASIMR is a traditional thermal rocket, using an RF emitter as a heat source instead of a chemical reaction, and using shaped magnetic fields as a virtual nozzle instead of a physical element.

In thermal rockets, ISP is dictated by combustion chamber temperature. The higher your temperature, the higher Mach number you can aerodynamically expand your exhaust up to. It's variable specific impulse because for a given electrical energy input, you can vary the temperature of the "combustion" chamber, more mass at lower temperature for high thrust, or less mass at higher temperature for high ISP.

I'm about to install this, but I've already got some B9 planes on my career save. Are there any issues I should know about?

Might not work, the depricated folder is meant to give you a away to load/convert old craft, but it's not perfect, backup your save, I don't recommend using pre-release versions on your main KSP install with your career with progress in it.

Regarding Landing Assistant screen on MFD, I would personally like to see rather the radar altitude during the landing instead of the ASL altitude, which is kinda useless at that moment.

Regarding Landing Assistant screen on MFD, I would personally like to see rather the radar altitude during the landing instead of the ASL altitude, which is kinda useless at that moment.

Agreed, it has a "terrain height" number which you're somehow meant to subtract in your head on the fly, that display isn't originally mine, it's a display with no camera primarily meant for rocket landing it seems, I'm considering reverting that display to the way it was (for landing B9 cockpit equipped rockets/vertical SSTOs etc) and make my own from scratch, with better focus on what you need for landing a plane, glide slope, sideways slip, vertical speed with "analog" sliding overlays like the SVD.

I guess when landing a rocket you're less likely to move over the terrain and thus the terrain height value - real value is less of an issue, though yeah still weird.

I also want to make a help function for the MFD pages, not sure if there is a button I could dedicate to it or not but I'd want basically one button on the MFD to toggle all pages with a 3 letter acronym/shortened version of a word with an alternate view that explains what each section is.

In reality I guess people using these displays get training to understand all the lingo or there is a manual on hand, I had neither and was pretty confused by all the 3 letter not quite acronyms, it's not so hard in the navigation because you can figure out what it means by trying the buttion, it's worse for information labels though.

There is a lot of work to do on the MFDs, especially re-styling the ScanSAT page, and having scansat, vesselview and MJ on their own menu heading away from everything else is a bit clunky to me, only reason for it I can think of is that if you don't have those mods you'd get an empty page mixed into the rest.

There are some bugs as well, not sure what the cause of them are yet but ScanSAT can make the SVD white overlays blue, and VV can make them red.

Also tried putting a camera behind the HUD in the Mk2, that doesn't work for some reason, half the image is 100% white, the rest looked good though, be because the base material is transparent? Hmm.

Edited by K3|Chris

I don't see 35 Skippers or 35 LN-V's worth of thrust....

Guess I will be gluing 30 LN-V's to my HX ships.

LN-V 2.25T and 60kN

Skipper 3T and 650kN

HPD 105T and 1872kN/5085kN

HPD (HX1): 42.62m2 cross-section

Skipper (2.5m): 4.909m2 cross-section

LV-N (1.25m): 1.227m2 cross-section

650 * (42.62/4.909) = 5643

60 * (42.62/1.227) = 2084

Now penalize for being multi-mode, and you get the current value.

I might reduce the penalty a bit, but frankly it seems to be working as intended right now.

Edited by Taverius

Does anyone else's S2 reusable pod show only as completely white?

http://imgur.com/KcFO6dP

If this isn't expected to be like this i'll go ahead and report this. I realize this is the pre-release.

I recently moved those assets around, though if you did a fresh install of the latest commit there shouldn't be an issue. And if you did a on top upgrade it should just have given you duplicates. Only way I can see it happen is if you updated the model but didn't include the textures.

<checks his commits to make sure>

Errm, yeah, sorry about that, I forgot to commit the new S2 model previous to current one, I removed the old textures, put in the new ones but not the model using the new ones...

Upgrade to latest commit, should just slot in over the top.

Edited by K3|Chris