B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

Did you delete the deprecated folder?

I didn't originally, but I've tried it with both and I get similar results. The RAM usage is a little higher, but it still runs without ATM. You do get really close to crashing with depreciated installed, though. So if you don't need it don't install it.

I don't see 35 Skippers or 35 LN-V's worth of thrust....

Guess I will be gluing 30 LN-V's to my HX ships.

LN-V 2.25T and 60kN

Skipper 3T and 650kN

HPD 105T and 1872kN/5085kN

that one 2.5m KW engines puts out 11000kn, that might work better haha.

Just so everyone is on the same page, this B9 version is very RAM intensive.

EVERY version of B9 has been ram intensive. the 4.0 release was enough to crash my .22 game on it's own without texture reduction. mere gigabytes are simply insufficient to hold this much awesome space plane pretty.

it's a double tragedy is that the x64 version is so unstable, otherwise we could all bask in the HX fuselage system it it's existential high def glory.

So, I've downloaded this mod and after a day of using it, this is what's in my mind: Hugamongous! It's really fun building these big aircraft. I didn't really try out the HX parts. They seemed too intimidating ^^. Although I'd really like to make some sort of something. Maybe a Spacebase (not spacestation). I don't know how I could get it up in space though.

A small annoyance that I had was with the aerodynamic control surfaces. Everything is so huge...! The control surfaces are so massive they seem they'd more likely pull the aircraft down than make it fly. Even the SE ones are as big as wings. What's the reason for this? Personal taste of the creator?

Anyway, I think this is a great mod, which deffinately needs more than a day!

p.s. the attention to detail in the IVAs is amazing.

Edited by MrUberGr

A small annoyance that I had was with the aerodynamic control surfaces. Everything is so huge...! The control surfaces are so massive they seem they'd more likely pull the aircraft down than make it fly. Even the SE ones are as big as wings. What's the reason for this? Personal taste of the creator?

Hmm, they seem to work fine for me. Check out some of the tiny drones in the example crafts (the Barnard's Star is one of them). I think the stock wings are too tiny, so I like having some bigger ones from B9. However, there's lots of variety - small ones, medium ones, massively gigantic ones. The 2-meter winglet is perfect as a tailplane and is just a big longer than the stock one. At first I didn't realize they have steering control, but they do!

Okay guys. I've asked Taverius a while ago if I can make a WIP list of mods safe and not safe to use with the pre-release, and I've decided to post it here for now as reference.

Incompatible mods

ID Skillful (July 25 0.24.2 update)

- cause a symmetry bug on HX parts. Mirrored parts that have a dry mass above 10 will revert to a constant 10 whenever the vessel is reloaded. Avoid using this until InfiniteDice updates it.

TweakScale v1.43

- Graphics error in SPH and VAB w/ or w/o Pre-Release. Also caused a Memory Spike resulting to CTD w/ Pre-Release. Use with Pre-Release at your own risk. Will also test again in a while.

BD Armory v0.5.0

- Similar case with ID Skillful.

Note:

To kinda help avoid issues, update to latest Module Manager (v2.3.1) and avoid major mods. Part mods seem to work fine for now, but please use x86/32-bit KSP with ATM (any of the versions). x64 has a 50% chance of infecting your saves with the Dry Mass Bug caused by ID Skillful and other similar mods.

Compatible Mods (including those that change part characteristics):

KSPI v.11 and v.12.1 (Suprisingly works like a charm)

Dang it! (Only adds a 'reliability' characteristic)

Kerb Paint (Only affects textures. No need to worry)

TweakableEverything (Works fine)

NovaPunch (Parts pack. Doesn't affect part characteristics)

KW Rocketry (Parts pack. Doesn't affect part characteristics)

Lackluster Labs (Parts pack. Doesn't affect part characteristics)

RFM/MFD modules (as long as they're updated. Besides, the pre-release has something to fix this. So if something happens, well...)

Procedural Dynamics (No effect)

Errm, yeah, sorry about that, I forgot to commit the new S2 model previous to current one, I removed the old textures, put in the new ones but not the model using the new ones...

Upgrade to latest commit, should just slot in over the top.

How do I do that? I redownloaded it and reapplied and I still have the same problem. Sorry I'm new XD

Okay. I will try that. For 24.2 everything has been a fresh install for me. Threw out all mods and re-installed. The internal IVA's blew my mind btw. I'm flying IVA with cameras all over my ship. My front one keeps overheating and exploding though! =p. Incredible fun.

Ill let you know what happens.

Just so everyone is on the same page, this B9 version is very RAM intensive. Just on its own will push your RAM usage close to the cap. The only way you're going to be able to use it in conjunction with heavily modded installs is Active Texture Management. In some cases, you might even need it only running B9.

Using the basic version of ATM drops the RAM usage to half - about 1.6 GB. The aggressive mode drops it by around another 300 MB. I've found no significant errors running either x86 or x64. ATM seems to work in both, but remember ATM has specific x86 and x64 versions.

So if you're having problems, step 1 is definitely get Active Texture Management. Step 2 is to completely wipe B9 and its dependencies from your directory, and re-install. That should fix most of the issues.

EDIT: Chris, you might need to be blunt and a bit more direct in your OP about the RAM limit. If you want to add the RAM figures to the post, I've got them here. These were taken at the main menu with only B9 (without the depreciated files) and ATM.

x86

3.01 GB - No Texture Management

1.58 GB - Basic Compression

1.30 GB - Aggressive Compression

x64

(Unknown) - No Texture Management

1.67 GB - Basic Compression

1.39 GB - Aggressive Compression

I couldn't get the usage from x64 without texture management, as it crashes on load for me. I'm assuming it's crashing due to RAM.

Mind trying again with -force-opengl added to the end of a shortcut?

Mind trying again with -force-opengl added to the end of a shortcut?

I could, but it wouldn't provide any useful data. OpenGL gives me terrible performance and it's far easier to use Active Texture Management. If I really wanted to use B9, not use OpenGL and not use ATM I'd just use x86. Given how close B9 comes to the RAM cap it's just safer to use ATM, whether or not you plan on using other mods.

OK, since you asked nicely :P Using OpenGL in x64 it runs at 1.61 GB.

EDIT: OK I have to retract something. OpenGL doesn't run that bad on my system. The last time I tried it, I was on my older computer and I lost a bit of performance. My new system is markedly faster and doesn't suffer the performance hit.

Edited by Rayder

Firstoff, great to see this getting developed further. The new IVAs look stunning!

Now to my question: did you reduced the specularity on the navballs or did my eyes decieve me? If not, can you actually reduce the specularity on them? Because that is one of the most annoying things in the stock game currently.

Keep up the great work!

I dont have the very latest one atm, but i when i was building i noticed one part that i thing would be a great addition. this comes primarily cause i love the endcap parts for the HX class parts. particularly the HX0 endcap. an HX2 to HX1 but with places to connect 2 HX0 parts next to the HX1. probably could do this with a HX4 to HX1 as well. just a sugestion ^^.

Not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but after 4 hours of watching this thing slam into the ground I'm kind of at the end of my rope. Not sure if the plane even has enough lift to get off the ground but that's really the problem. If someone would be so kind to take a look the craft and see if you can tell why it wants to constantly swerve to the right you don't know how much it would mean to me.

Here's a dropbox link, I'm going to bed. https://www.dropbox.com/s/favahgw79rojszz/USS%20Plz%20fly.craft?dl=0

Edit: might be redundant but just to clarify this is a b9 spaceplane.

Edited by delta1452

<snip>

Being the jerk that I am, I didn't try downloading your plane, but I've encountered the same issue as you, and the solution is... to place your back wheels further up on the plane so that they're pretty much right on the center of mass. Yes, this can cause the plane to tip back easily, and you have to watch out for tailstrikes, but it will take the weight off of the front wheel and prevent it from wanting to crumple left or right.

I hope this helps, even though I never even saw your plane! :P

Not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but after 4 hours of watching this thing slam into the ground I'm kind of at the end of my rope. Not sure if the plane even has enough lift to get off the ground but that's really the problem. If someone would be so kind to take a look the craft and see if you can tell why it wants to constantly swerve to the right you don't know how much it would mean to me.

Here's a dropbox link, I'm going to bed. https://www.dropbox.com/s/favahgw79rojszz/USS%20Plz%20fly.craft?dl=0

Edit: might be redundant but just to clarify this is a b9 spaceplane.

I did try downloading this but it didn't work for some reason. Are you using any other mods, and what game version do you have?

Because this thread is not only about complaining, i post those pics for showing how much fun i have with this mod!

I love to make dry dock with it, it's so easy!

thank you!

Wow, this looks awesome! Could you post a pic of the whole space station?

man, those big fuselage parts are so awesome.. but i already have toooo much mods.. :(

well, maybe i'll only keep the HX parts and delete the rest.

@ K3|Chris

i know you mentioned somewhere that you are working on a HX cockpit. are there crew and stronger sas modules too somewhere in the pipeline?

Edited by Umlüx

I really enjoyed building a fatass plane with it but the game crashed while i was flying it and now it wont load past "squad/spaces/podcockpit/model007". I couldn't find an answer earlier in this thread but does anyone know how to fix this because i dont get this error when i remove B9.

Because this thread is not only about complaining, i post those pics for showing how much fun i have with this mod!

http://i.imgur.com/q9HGbyj.png

http://i.imgur.com/53qSIdG.png

http://i.imgur.com/2SGMVDo.png

Wow, that looks epic! I'm going to try that out too, but I'm trying to hold off until the main release. That's a nice SSTO you've got there. I tell you, the space stations you'll be able to build with HX parts are awesome! I also want to put a giant HX part on another planet to act like a hangar for my planes and rovers there (most likely Laythe or Duna).

man, those big fuselage parts are so awesome.. but i already have toooo much mods.. :(

well, maybe i'll only keep the HX parts and delete the rest.

It seems to me that with aggressive Active Texture Management and -force-opengl added to the end of a KSP shorcut, you can have a ton of mods and still run fine! I personally don't see how I could easily get over 3.5 GB with using the above tips (also note that one of the mods that can use up the most memory is Texture Replacer if you use 8k planet packs. However, you can't even see that kind of detail from orbit anyways, and when you get close to the ground the texture switches to default stock ones anyways, so you may as well use lower texture quality).

Edited by Andrew Hansen