B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

Just a suggestion - the braces on hollow parts (pic) prevent creating long, open bays and whatnot where a very long object could enter/dock via the side(s). Would it be possible to have yet another mesh option on those without those bits, throwing structural strength to the wind, or would that be a gigantic pain?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/HXbraces.png

Bump. Also, is there any way that we could get a version with garage-style retractable doors on them? I love concealing my arsenal >:D

How much info do we have with Linux KSP x64? I'm getting weird malfunctions. Specifically, what I'm getting is that if I install ATM, FAR and B9 v5 (latest as twelve hours or so back), either Xorg or my window manager (Cinnamon, on Linux Mint 16) begins using 2-300% CPU time in short bursts, and the entire operating system's graphics display become unresponsive. This can be when clicking 'start game' in the main menu - here it will freeze up just before the new menu is in place on screen, or after loading into a game and going to the tracking station. I'm not completely sure this is B9's fault - hell, I'm not sure it's not because my CPU is flaky - but I figured I'd ask, against the possibility anyone else has seen anything like it.

Unityx64 is a lot more stable than the windows counterpart, shouldn't be an issue, plenty of people have used B9 5.0 on linux using the x64 version of KSP just fine, I highly doubt B9 could cause your entire computer to act weird, it's models and textures and config files.

Bump. Also, is there any way that we could get a version with garage-style retractable doors on them? I love concealing my arsenal >:D

cutting out pillars is very easy to do, adding animated doors, that's a lot more work, both are up to #1 boss-man obviously though.

Unityx64 is a lot more stable than the windows counterpart, shouldn't be an issue, plenty of people have used B9 5.0 on linux using the x64 version of KSP just fine, I highly doubt B9 could cause your entire computer to act weird, it's models and textures and config files.

cutting out pillars is very easy to do, adding animated doors, that's a lot more work, both are up to #1 boss-man obviously though.

Word. I could see how that might get very complicated - many possible combinations. Door on only one face; symmetrical version with one on each side; doors on other face, etc. Maybe even a door on the end of the part.. that's a lot of doors to animate and whatnot. However, they would be very cool.

Currently in the process of attempting to construct a 50,000-ish-ton gigantic tweakscaled 6x-size space carrier of doom in Kerbin orbit. Add me to the pile of people who think you've done an awesome job with the mod!

Just a suggestion - the braces on hollow parts (pic) prevent creating long, open bays and whatnot where a very long object could enter/dock via the side(s). Would it be possible to have yet another mesh option on those without those bits, throwing structural strength to the wind, or would that be a gigantic pain?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/HXbraces.png

I have added HX4 parts without inner pillars now, but I can't really remove those frames. Two reasons:

1. Lots of work, there are no faces underneath them so it's not removing one mesh, it's adding faces to multiple meshes.

2. I hate how most hangar variations look without them - a part that consists of two entirely disconnected pieces floating in the air makes very little sense. So yeah, I'd recommend to simply use designs that allow you to park stuff by entering from the front.

The sample pics you have on the first post are very nice. Did you use some kind of beautification mod, or are those fully stock (aside for the parts pack of course) and you're just really good at taking screenshots at the perfect moment?

I have added HX4 parts without inner pillars now, but I can't really remove those frames. Two reasons:

1. Lots of work, there are no faces underneath them so it's not removing one mesh, it's adding faces to multiple meshes.

2. I hate how most hangar variations look without them - a part that consists of two entirely disconnected pieces floating in the air makes very little sense. So yeah, I'd recommend to simply use designs that allow you to park stuff by entering from the front.

Sounds reasonable not to do it then. The HX4 without the pillars will be cool though! Another very minor thing I noticed with the hollow parts, and one that may only be apparent when they're scaled very large - I don't really know the right terms, but here goes: because of that frame at the ends (I think), and because the space on the interior between the frames is sunken slightly with respect to them (on the biggest inner face of the part), attaching things like docking ports on the inside results in them being visually not connected to the "floor." Very easy to work around by just putting a big flat panel on the floor, but might be visually nice to have a continuous flat surface for a runway/hangar bay/whatever effect. Not sure it's really important enough even to think about though.

Speaking of big flat panels, only other suggestion I can think of off the top of my head - it's handy for building various floor-like surfaces or whatnot to have rectangular versions of the structural panel, e.g. cut the 8x8m panel in half to make an 8x4 and make two versions - one that surface attaches on long edge, one that surface attaches on short edge. I made a quick & dirty pure-white version of the B9 panels for my own personal use if it would interest you example-wise. I did similar things with the various triangular panels.

True. I think we were all assuming people would put something on the end of it, and this would just allow for really long flat exits that you could fit entire rockets into.

Also, two other parts I'm curious if you guys have considered:

1) Animated cap-gates for opening and closing the ends of these corridors.

2) really huge HX4-style landing legs and/or landing wheels, for in case we want to land one of these monstrosities on the Mun without it tipping over :D

Again, amazing work with the new mod, can't wait for release!

Thanks!! I'll definitely use them :)

For the S2W intake air adapter, can you add a tank variant? From the looks of it, there appears to be some solid mass in the center portion that could concievably hold LFO, LF, or Monoprop.

Sadly not possible, in stock aero the drag of an intake is directly calculated from the total mass, though I guess we could do it using an MM.cfg that checks for FAR/NEAR.

A possible alternative would be to just add double and/or triple length variants. You could possibly even get away with not modifying the textures much. Of course, it would be more (partially redundant) parts in a mod which already has a lot of parts, so maybe not. Just an idea though.

Sadly not possible, in stock aero the drag of an intake is directly calculated from the total mass, though I guess we could do it using an MM.cfg that checks for FAR/NEAR.

Just so I understand, you mean it is possible for a FAR/NEAR setup? I'll be patient, then. They'll have to pull FAR from my cold, dead harddrive before I run KSP without it. :D

Also, has anyone considered allowing the B9 cockpits to make use of the transparent windshield tech they're using over at Nohark's tread?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84054-v-24-2-NohArk-s-Pick-n-Pull-Transparent-Pods-v1-1

Just wanting to make sure it's brought up, as it'd be neat to see our little kerbals in the driver's seat more often :D

Is there something wrong with the copy of FS in this DL? I loaded the stephenson and had all kids of weird textures and could not close the cargo bays, switched to 32 bit same thing. So I thought can't close the bays it's gotta be FS replaced it with the one from Helldivers KSO and all works fine on 32bit. I'm going to check out x64 and will edit with results.

EDIT: same with x64 I replaced the FS dll with the one from the KSO and all works fine now.

Edited by Woodstar

A possible alternative would be to just add double and/or triple length variants. You could possibly even get away with not modifying the textures much. Of course, it would be more (partially redundant) parts in a mod which already has a lot of parts, so maybe not. Just an idea though.

That would be pretty usefull too for reducing the part counts of a ship - but yeah, at the price of more parts in the mod and more work for the authors =(

Since I seem to be full of ideas tonight... Another part that would be neat would be a version of the HX1-A-SA Structural Module in 2x1 dimensions.

Also, has anyone considered allowing the B9 cockpits to make use of the transparent windshield tech they're using over at Nohark's tread?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84054-v-24-2-NohArk-s-Pick-n-Pull-Transparent-Pods-v1-1

Just wanting to make sure it's brought up, as it'd be neat to see our little kerbals in the driver's seat more often :D

I see no point in using that, kerbals have very significant impact on performance and showing them at all times is not good, especially with crowded cockpits or large crafts.

Yeah I tried it, made the game slow to a crawl, it's a neat idea but the IVAs are already pretty performance intensive, add the IVA and the external vessel at the same time and well... slowness.

It's a cool plugin and it's pretty nifty for stuff like 1 man pods with 1-2 MFDs etc but not really an option for us currently. Post Unity 5 I'll try it again, might not slow the game too much then, though realistically speaking you shouldn't be able to see through the windows in most circumstances.

bac9: I added toggle-able flags to the cockpits and crew tanks (not S2 CTs yet, fighting me) think placement works? If not tell me where and I'll change it. Didn't put it on the drone probe or 1m inline probe, squad seems to only put them on manned stuff.

bac9 & Tav, I'll be out most of the day, my sister's birthday, if you need me you can get to me at [email protected]

Edited by K3|Chris

Yeah, honestly, I'm suspicious enough of my machine that it seems more likely that it's an upshot of some particular combination of DLLs and my particular CPU throwing a wobbly, or somesuch. Anyhow, thought it was worth asking about.