[Collection] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau (SSPP 4.1 6/12/12)

Normak

Beautiful engine!

And once you have an RD-180, you\'ll be half way to having an RD-170 to make a Zenit ;)

And once you have a Zenit, you\'ll be half way to having an Energia ;)

The Zenit launcher uses the RD-171 the RD-190 was based off in it\'s first stage, but is otherwise not closely related; it was based off of the Zenit boosters on Energiya, and is much larger than the URMs of Angara.

The RD-180 is a 2 chambered version of the RD-190. The RD-170 is the 4 chambered version (and the largest liquid engine ever built).

450px-RD-170_rocket_engine.jpg

The RD-170 (4 chambers) was first used in the Zenit booster (the 4 boosters on the Energia-Buran)

AA5005_Polyus_real_4.GIF

After cancellation of Energia and the separation of Ukraine (where the Zenit is built), the Zenit booster became the Zenit 2 launcher (or Sea Launch) 1st stage.

zenith-transport-grand.jpg

The 2nd stage of the Zenit-2 uses a single RD-120 (4 of which were used on the core stage of the Energia).

The Angara project was launched mainly because Russia is reluctant to use a Ukrainian rocket for their military launches.

Perhaps, in the distant future, you could make both Zenit and Energia, and maybe Polyus parts for KOSMOS station pack.

That would require, what, two engines (half of one of them you already have), an interstage for the Zenit, A decoupler flange for Energia, a quad adapter engine adapter for it and a handful of fuel tanks. Polyus would be more complicated, but should be doable.

The 2nd stage of the Zenit-2 uses a single RD-120 (4 of which were used on the core stage of the Energia).

That\'s a common misconception; the one on Energiya was RD-0120, which was, rather confusingly, a completely unrelated engine about three times the size; so you\'d need at least three engines.

Russians and their numbering system...

Anyway, Energia and Zenit are related enough that it wouldn\'t be a huge leap for a pack including one to include the other. And with trims being added in 0.15, it\'s possible that Energia would be able to fly straight without any trickery.

According to the spec sheets, M-1 and F-1 were virtually identical in terms of output (6.6 to 6.7 Meganewtons) while the RD-170 is closer to 7.5.

I\'m as big a fan of giant single chamber beasts as the next guy, but the 170 family has proven to be a good one, still widely in use (even in the US) while the F-1 and M-1... are not. Though it would be awesome to see the F-1 fly on the SLS again :) )

yes but in terms of power per chamber the F-1 beats it. M-1 was still largest. reguardless of power. you are combining a bunch of things to make rd-180 to be biggest.

I was saying based off size (no power) and then power per chamber.

I am well aware that the rd-170 is the most powerful currently. until merlin 2....

if only F-1a flew :( 33% more powerful than F-1

Do you plan to use normal maps for parts when 0.15 is out, or continue using the high-res meshes themselves?

depends on the quality of the shader. Ina ll honesty the models are pretty devoid of detail. if I had normal maps i could add lots of it. all the polies are spent on making the pipes and structure. However i will certainly try and have less polies. but since my engines for angara should be removed shortly into the flight and not drawn anymore i hardly see why high poly count counts.

Those are nice, but a bit too weak for landings. I\'d definitely like to see a dedicated landing engine.