"getting" 3d models from games

Welp this isn't 100% but i got it to work a couple of times for games.

It is called [glow=red,2,300]3DRipperDX[/glow]

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

and a quick start guide http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm#quickstartguide

in a nut shell you launch the game in window mode from 3dripperdx

and take a 'screenshot' of the models and textures that you can export easily to 3dsmax

make sure you point to the game itself and not a launcher

The program works but is very crude and may not get the best results

*i got it to work with World of Tanks

*i am not sure of the legality of this but either way DO NOT CLAIM others people work

that is never cool

I figured before someone whipped out an epic 3d model of ridiculous standards that this should be said and looked for

i just did some cutting edge research by that i mean searched google while eating popcorn

and i found this

16 The acts restricted by copyright in a work

(1) The owner of the copyright in a work has, in accordance with the following provisions of this Chapter, the exclusive right to do the following acts in the United Kingdom—

(a) to copy the work (see section 17);

(B) to issue copies of the work to the public (see section 18 );

© to perform, show or play the work in public (see section 19 );

(d) to broadcast the work or include it in a cable programme service (see section 20);

(e) to make an adaptation of the work or do any of the above in relation to an adaptation (see section 21);

and those acts are referred to in this Part as the “acts restricted by the copyrightâ€.

(2) Copyright in a work is infringed by a person who without the licence of the copyright owner does, or authorises another to do, any of the acts restricted by the copyright.

source: 1988 Copyright Designs and Patents Act: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/contents

This is for the UK and so im not 100% sure about global laws.

i would only use it if you where going to change a very large portion of the model *and still give credit

AND NEVER SELL IT

o crud, i take it no one from the forums is a international copyright lawyer that can vouch with 100% certainty.

o come i cant even find info for my own country (usa) how is the 'average man' so post to know this stuff?

come on government i am trying to be legal here

Probably won't. As long as they're released as mods, should be fine (ie Garry's Mod). But I'd like to see more original work using models built for the game than a flood of video game adapter items.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.