How do i get back from the mun

I\'m aware there are many threads on this, reason i\'m making a new one is i can\'t understand what those are saying. What is an eastward orbit ? An orbit is either clock-wise or counter clock-wise. Anyway, so here\'s my situation, tell me what i\'m doing wrong

I land on the mun with half a tank of fuel and 3 quarters of RCS left. I usually manage to land close to the the equator. I make a counter-clockwise orbit, i adjust the orbit so the Ap faces towards kerbin, I boost at the Pe so Ap is closer to kerbin (i\'ve tried various Ap distances and angles). Every time I end up orbiting kerbin with huge Ap and Pe values (last time it was 6million to 21 million) and i simply don\'t have enough fuel to correct that.

What can i do to end up with a smaller Ap value ?

Should I make a clockwise orbit instead ?

What should my TKI orbit look like ? Any pictures or a video would be appreciated. If you\'re going to describe it could you tell me what should the Ap and Pe values be and what should be the angle between |Ap Pe| and |kerbin mun| given |Ap Pe| is on the same plane as |Ap Pe|

Thanks in advance

You could try to fly opposite to the direction where the moon is going, preferably at 0 velocity if you look at it from kerbin-space, so when you have been hovering still for long enough (looking from kerbin)/flying high enough(looking from mun), you will exit the SoI of mun and end up falling straight to kerbin :3

Thats what id do if i got to the mun >_>

'East' and 'west' rely on arbitrary reference choices...but so do 'clockwise' and 'counterclockwise' ;) In my case at least, 'east' and 'west' always refer to the arbitrary reference frame chosen by the NavBall, i.e. east=90 on the NavBall and west=270. I don\'t think anyone else is likely to have used them differently.

Viewed from the north, the most natural perspective, a counterclockwise orbit is indeed the correct choice for lowest-energy transfer and you want to burn at a position 180 degrees opposite Kerbin, as you\'re already doing. I can only guess that you\'re putting too much juice into it. Your TKI orbit doesn\'t have to be hyperbolic to leave the SOI.

I\'m afraid I\'m not going to spend time collecting videos for you, since the dozens of threads in this area are full of tutorials.

Ok so i finally understood my problem. You have to aim towards left of the kerbin (looking from the top, kerbin on the middle of the screen and the mun directly below it) for you to be able go directly to it. Which is caused by the movement of the mun on it\'s orbit around kerbin. When you aim directly to kerbin the mun tilts your path over time and causes you to end up with a gentle orbit.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=4003.0

Helped me understand it thanks to the pictures, it\'s on the front page too. Silly me, on my defence the title is a bit misleading. Anyway thanks for the replies both of you.