moving ships

Hello everyone.

As someone said on the forums, to get new nasa stuff we'll have to start over in a new save in order to get asteroids etc.

My question is:

Is there a way to move my stuff from the old save, or at least 1 ship?

I've got a space station orbiting kerbin which took me months of work to create and I really don't want to get rid of it.

You can edit the save file. But note the file is huge and a single ship is huge. Ive heard for small craft it can be around 10,000 lines of code. Large Space Stations i can assume to be much much larger.

Just make sure you back up both saves before hand.

Also you only need to start a new save if you want asteroids to spawn, you get everything else :)

I don't want to lose all my flags and landing sites on my saves. Can I transfer those as well to new saves?

I believe so. All player created objects are basically forms of ships, so they exist in the save file to my knowledge.

Ill be trying to save my own huge save once the day comes, i already have my kerbals back on the ground incase odd stuff happens and backed up my save.

I believe so. All player created objects are basically forms of ships, so they exist in the save file to my knowledge.

Ill be trying to save my own huge save once the day comes, i already have my kerbals back on the ground incase odd stuff happens and backed up my save.

Thanks for responding! Boy, what a relief! :)

I'm not seeing anything official about old saves being incompatible with .23.5 (ARM)

Got a link to that?

As for the question it's easy to transfer your designs from one save to another. It's harder to transfer flights in progress from one save to another...

You might also be able to talk one of our nice community members into editing the save file for you if this isn't something you feel comfortable doing yourself. I'm sure there will lots of posts asking for help of this kind when the day finally arrives! Wasn't somebody trying to build a program that would try to automatically edit things into new save files?

Yeah, this is something I'm trying to plan for. I wrote a perl script (under linux) that will split out individual TXT files for each ship, flag, etc, so that I can copy/paste what I want into a new save. It'll also make copies of the tech tree, crew roster, ScanSat progress and anything else saved as a "Scenario", etc. Not the best solution for everyone, since it'll still involve manual effort. But for those who want the script, I'm happy to share:

http://necrobones.com/photos/screenshots/KSP/SFS-extract.pl

Edited by NecroBones

Yeah, this is something I'm trying to plan for. I wrote a perl script (under linux) that will split out individual TXT files for each ship, flag, etc, so that I can copy/paste what I want into a new save. It'll also make copies of the tech tree, crew roster, ScanSat progress and anything else saved as a "Scenario", etc. Not the best solution for everyone, since it'll still involve manual effort. But for those who want the script, I'm happy to share:

http://necrobones.com/photos/screenshots/KSP/SFS-extract.pl

For anyone willing to edit their own save files, but want a quick way to extract individual ships/flags/whatever, I made the above script into an online version:

http://ksp.necrobones.com/extract.html

Why bother starting a new game if you copy over the save file?

What you need to do is edit the save file (Make backups FIRST).

Suggest you make a save in the new game folder, edit that, adding in the ships you want.

Then copy over the VAB folder to the new games VAB folder.

How to edit the save file exactly I don't know but you should be able to Google it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.