[0.23] [Released] ScienceAlert 1.3: Experiment availability feedback (updated Apr 7)

xEvilReeperx

I've only just started using this mod today but I really like it. The only thing I've seen so far out of the ordinary is an alert for EVA on the Launchpad won't go away. I saw on the first post there was still some question about alerts not deactivating so I thought I'd provide this feedback.

Which alert? Chances are good you're missing an EVA report from the LaunchPad. When your vessel is ready to be launched, it's considered "landed" but when you first hop out on EVA and are holding onto a ladder, the Kerbal looks as if it's flying instead which is a different set of conditions. Go for a walk on the launchpad and see if the alert reappears. If it does, do the eva report and then recover your Kerbal. You should no longer be alerted for that particular combination after that.

If that doesn't work, post back and we'll track it down :)

I've been having a lot of NullReferenceExceptions. I'm not sure what triggers them, but once they start, the icon doesn't show up in the toolbar and none of the functionality is available. My Player.log file shows:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ScienceAlert.ScienceAlert.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It appears to be from ScienceAlert/IDrawable/ScienceAlert.cs. Proposed patch (I don't have a bitbucket account to send a pull request):

diff --git a/ScienceAlert/IDrawable/ScienceAlert.cs b/ScienceAlert/IDrawable/ScienceAlert.cs

index 71ddab0..31a2203 100644

--- a/ScienceAlert/IDrawable/ScienceAlert.cs

+++ b/ScienceAlert/IDrawable/ScienceAlert.cs

@@ -492,10 +492,12 @@ namespace ScienceAlert

}

else

{

- if (!vesselStorage.IsBusy && watcher != null && animation != null)

+ if (vesselStorage != nul && !vesselStorage.IsBusy && watcher != null && animation != null)

{

- if (!PauseMenu.isOpen)

- if (watcher != null) watcher.MoveNext();

+ if (!PauseMenu.isOpen && watcher != null)

+ {

+ watcher.MoveNext();

+ }

animation.MoveNext();

}

}

Is that with the recently released version (1.6)? What's the full stack trace? Vessel storage should never be null unless something broke in initialization. Are there any messages or exceptions that occur right after a scene change into flight related to ScienceAlert?

I hadn't realized there was an update. I'm using 1.5, so perhaps the issue has already been fixed. The short entry provided is the only stack trace I could find in any of the log files. There was no core dump. Apparently debug logging on Linux isn't well supported, or I can't find anything helpful. I agree that my proposed patch doesn't deal with the root of the problem at all. I will try 1.6 and see if it happens again. Thanks for a great mod!

Is updated version coming up? any ETA? I think old one is causing nullreference, but i might be wrong about it. I am not trying to be a jerk, if you need some time, okay, just curious. Awesome mod by the way, really cool.

Great news. I was wondering though, is it possible to leave "eva report" button hanging when you go on eva? so you don't need to to click on it again, it would be wonderful. Also, i don't know if it's even possible or is it your intention to do such a thing or maybe someone else already did it, but i think it will be cool if you had an option to store your data directly to the crew pod, without a need to manually transfer it in EVA mode. Cheers.

Great news. I was wondering though, is it possible to leave "eva report" button hanging when you go on eva? so you don't need to to click on it again, it would be wonderful.

Yes, I can add this

Also, i don't know if it's even possible or is it your intention to do such a thing or maybe someone else already did it, but i think it will be cool if you had an option to store your data directly to the crew pod, without a need to manually transfer it in EVA mode. Cheers.

It could be done but it's a little too close to automation for me. I'm sure something like this exists already though

• 2 months later...
Ooh! I forgot about this mod -- need to drop it into .25 and see if she still works! :)
Didn't work for me on .25... let me know if anybody gets it working

Two quick things:

• You're in the wrong thread :)
  • That thread doesn't have an official update either but if you're willing to download something from a guy with a single post, there is apparently a fix. (I downloaded it and it passed my virus scan, but haven't tried it yet)

• 1 year later...

This is really a great mod! But this causes a problem with transmitting science data... Everytime I try to transmit a data after gathering it and clicking Transmit Data, nothing happens. Can't even transmit data from Science Labs. This is what shows up in the logs:

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'IScienceDataTransmitter.TransmitData'.

at ScienceAlert.MagicDataTransmitter.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Anyone has this problem? Maybe there's a known fix? I couldn't find nothing about this tho...

BTW, I'm using these mods:

ModuleManager

[x] Science!

BoulderCo

Chatterer

CustomAsteroids

DistantObject

EnvironmentalVisualEnchancement

img_viewer

KerbalEngineer

KittopiaSpace

KSP-AVC

NavBallDockingAlingmentIndicator

RCSBuildAid

ScienceAlert

Squad

TacFualBalancer

TriggerTech

Tried to delete ScienceAlert and then everything starts to work properly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.