Why i cannot recover science module?

I haven't playing ksp a long time so decided to start from the beginning.

I was constructed basic rocket with basic capsule plus the science module beneath capsule, the science module has it's own two parachutes, so when i decoupled the science module from capsule it's should opened parachutes and land apart the capsule. I even saw as science module parachutes opened. So wen i recovered capsule with kerbonaut inside i opened the mission control to recover the science module and get 25 tech point:D But it was not there. i was not get this, i attached to it parachute so where is the science module??

I haven't playing ksp a long time so decided to start from the beginning.

I was constructed basic rocket with basic capsule plus the science module beneath capsule, the science module has it's own two parachutes, so when i decoupled the science module from capsule it's should opened parachutes and land apart the capsule. I even saw as science module parachutes opened. So wen i recovered capsule with kerbonaut inside i opened the mission control to recover the science module and get 25 tech point:D But it was not there. i was not get this, i attached to it parachute so where is the science module??

I'm guessing you moved too far away from the detached science module during re-entry. KSP simply removes vessels or debris that are in Kerbins atmosphere under 40 km (Really not sure on that threshold) that are more than 2.5 km from an active ship. 2.5 km is the "physics simulation" range. ANything outside of that is "on rails", and anything on-rails too close to a planet or in an atmosphere just gets destroyed.

In the future, use the same number of parachutes, but keep it all together, don't decouple the science from the pod.

You need to make sure your science module lands before you recover the vehicle with a Kerbin or automated control. So the order I use for my science modules is:

open science module(s) chutes, decouple if it the chuted didn't decouple them automatically, land the main vehicle, wait until the science module(s) land, switch to them, recover them, switch to controlled vehicle and recover it

You need to make sure your science module lands before you recover the vehicle with a Kerbin or automated control.

I'm 98% sure this is untrue: You don't need a probe core or kerbal in/near a pod to recover it.

However, if you decouple and deorbit your science module separately and watch it fall to Kerbin (that is to say, make the science package the "active vessel) until it hits the ground, and then deorbit your crew capsule and take it down, separately, you should be fine.

I think they need to give the science modules attributes other than "debris" when they are detached. Though it won't fix the issue with the 2.5km range in atmosphere it will probably fix issues like the one I just had where I landed both a science module and a capsule, I switched to the capsule to eva and grab a quick surface sample only to have the science module randomly explode when I switched back to recover it as the game often does with any useless piece of debris, except my science module wasn't exactly "useless".

I do the same thing in my career game. I call it carpet bombing Kerbin with science! When you do that there are two rules I follow:

1. Make the release within the lower atmosphere, up to 8km altitude. So there is no chance of being more than the dreaded 5km away.

2. Never use physics time warp. As all other vessels with parachutes open get erased from the game.

I would say number two happened to you. You hit the ground then physics warped.

Edit: Or, physics warped to the ground. Big no no.

Edited by O-Doc

I have done it in 0.23 and found that if the debris is not in permanent orbit or landed, it just disappears. Debris does not land if you are not with the 2.5 km zone and hitting recover before your debris lands takes you out of the 2.5km zone.

This doesn't directly solve your problem, but I started leaving my science modules (SC-9001 and Mystery goo) at the biome I used them in, as long as it was a manned mission. For example, on Mun I would have the crew gather the data then leave the hardware there so I don't have to use fuel to haul it back. Of course I believe you can only store one of each type in each command module, so it depends on your mission. I found that useful on Laythe, for example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.