[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

Using v 1.34. In early career play, if I click the stock action groups button in the editor and then try to click on the stock crew button, a different subset of the AGExt windows appears and the crew screen is not accessible again until I restart KSP and reenter the editor. If you can't repro, let me know and I'll provide screen shots, logs, and a list of mods...

Thanks,

Danny

Odd.

AGExt respects the career mode lockout (if you haven't overridden it) so the different windows appearing is normal.

Not being able to select the crew screen certainly isn't normal and I'll have to look into that.

(On my mobile, will be some hours until I can get home to do so unfortunately.)

D.

@CrashTestDanny: I can not replicate from your description.

I did find an issue where opening another craft file or hitting the New button could break things as you describe, but you don't mention either of those things in your post so I think it is a different error.

Could you do a more detailed report please? The KSP\KSP_Managed\output_log.txt will be the file that can help me the most.

D.

edit: Okay, the bug with the New and Load buttons is fixed, but I'm out of time for tonight to make sure the release is actually stable. The workaround is to switch to the Part or Crew mode before hitting these buttons and you will be fine. I should be able to release it Saturday morning if my tests then don't turn up any more bugs and that will let me look into Danny's issue as well.

Edited by Diazo

Ok here goes - you're probably not going to like it... I have advanced more in my career and after having done so I am not able to reproduce the issue at will as before. In fact, after advancing the career, I only had that issue once in about 20 attempts to break it. The one time I did manage to break it this evening was with the same craft as previously, 103 parts. It appears to me that 1.0.5 really hasn't helped my ability to load large part-count ships and I still get lag issues when I exceed 100 - especially in the editor...

Craft

Log

Hope this helps, man... and I really appreciate you spending your time on this mod...

Danny

Hmm, I actually don't see anything in the log file I would associate with the buttons in the Editor not working.

Overall it is a pretty clean log file really.

I paid special attention to the last editor session in the log file just before you quit as presumably that is when the error happened, but there were no error messages for me to parse in that section of the log.

When it happens next time, can you check two things for me?

First, when you click the buttons at the top of the screen, do they change mode? IE: The button for the current mode is greyed out, when you click the crew button while this error is happening, does it gray out or does the actions button stay grayed out?

Second, if you hit Alt-F2, that will show the in-game log. Are you able to get any error messages to display in that window while trying to switch modes?

If you can get me that information (or other related information) I'll keep looking at this, but with what you've gotten to me so far I can't identify the problem to fix it.

D.

So I'm reproducing it again, but only after having hit new or load, so probably what I'm seeing is what you already fixed and I just did a poor job of describing it the first time. The buttons do change mode. Neither parts nor crew will come up. I pressed alt-F2 and got the debug window, but it is not producing any errors when I try to switch modes. Hopefully your update will fix it. If you need a beta tester just drop me a line, but I may not get to it until tomorrow... busy night tonight...

Danny

Based on your description which exactly matches the issue I fixed, I believe that the next version will fix your issue.

I won't do a full release, but I'll see if I can throw the .dll file up for you to test tonight.

D.

This version does not fix the bug where control surfaces can not be toggled. The next version will fix that and that should be out in a week (or less, hopefully).

I only get so much time to work as real life comes first and it is rather busy for me, the fix is incoming.

D.

I guess it's uninstalling, then...

Have you read much of this forum? I just scrolled through the last few pages worth of posts and found this:

Diazo,

I'm not sure if this is something with your mod or something with stock, but toggling control surfaces to extend/retract doesn't quite work right.

Control surfaces have 3 Action Group commands: Toggle, Extend, Retract. For some reason, I can't get Toggle to work via hotkey action groups. I've only been able to get that to work under a built-in action group (like Brakes). Extend and Retract work like you expect them.

NOTE: I haven't tried using control surface toggling in stock-only yet.

Is this a stock issue or is it the mod? I invest in spaceplanes (thanks to mods like OPT), so I'm learning that "flap" control helps during re-entry (in particular to "feather" plane into a natural nose up attitude instead of having to keep my finger on "S").

It would've been nice if Squad included a "Flaps" stock action group to go along with brakes, lights, etc. (I still dislike how the Airbrakes are permanently tied to the Brake group though...) But until they decide and implement better action group control (ha!), AGX is the go-to mod for this.

Any help would be appreciated. It's a minor thing, but I try to keep my action group numbers low if I can. (Why have 2 groups when 1 should suffice?) If it's a bug you can't fix (because stock...), I can live with the workaround of having 2 actions groups; better than using the right-click menu... (Especially on a tumbling plane...)

Sounds like a similar problem to the one Zwa mentioned and what you said was happening to you as well, and the posts after the above quoted one discuss the issue and possible workarounds or reasons why that happens.

Edit: And also, there's a fix coming when Diazo can find enough time to add it in, as shown by the post above mine.

Odd.

AGExt respects the career mode lockout (if you haven't overridden it) so the different windows appearing is normal.

Not being able to select the crew screen certainly isn't normal and I'll have to look into that.

(On my mobile, will be some hours until I can get home to do so unfortunately.)

D.

i have noticed this also on a level 0 vab/sph - are the later comments about fixing something relating to this?

thanks

casper

Version 1.34a

Download here.

-Fix several cases of the editor windows going screwy.

-Fix toggle action on control surfaces.

Alright, I think I've fixed the editor windows acting up. If it still happens please let me know with as much reproduction information as possible so I can look at it again.

Also added a workaround for some weidness in Squad's code so the the Toggle action now works on flight control surfaces.

D.

/sigh

Looks like I missed a trigger then, can you let me know what steps are causing it please?

With the way the Editor UI is setup, I have to hook into each individual part of it individually and it looks like I missed one.

A screen shot would also help to make sure we are actually talking about the same issue.

D.

edit: Just found an issue that will spam the log with errors when controlling a Kerbal on EVA. Has no gameplay effect so you won't even notice without the game log open. If you do however it looks a lot worse then it is because it writes the error over and over again every update frame.

Edited by Diazo

I also have the issue; it might even get worse after the update (though I'm not 100% sure).

What I did to replicate it:

1. Open VAB

2. Create new craft

3. Add a crewed part

4. Click Crew tab (it opens ok)

5. Click any other tab

Now, the Parts tab does not show the parts panel at all, only three mode buttons (offset, rotate and root) in the left of the screen. The Action Groups part is ok. The Crew part, however, now shows the stock Action Groups panel.

Edited by garwel

i have had this error too. before update going from action groups to crew page would cause crew page to disappear but could back to parts. after update i can use the crew page but the parts list disappears. reloading the VAB makes the problem stop until you click action groups again.

Okay, I just spent 30 minutes trying to replicate what is happening here and was unable to make the editor panels screw up like you are reporting.

However, over time as I've added more and more features this part of the mod has gotten unnecessarily complex and I'm going to gut everything and redo how I interact from the panels from scratch.

This is long overdue, I'm going to deleting probably about 150 lines of convoluted code and replacing it with only 25 lines of code. I'm actually losing track of variables as I bounce back and forth between lines of code trying to troubleshoot because what I currently have is so spaghetti at the moment.

I already know exactly how I'm going to do this, it will only be a day or two depending on how much time I get in tomorrow evening, until then I'll have to ask you to put up with the behaviour you are seeing.

D.

[quote name='garwel']I also have the issue; [...] Now, the Parts tab does not show the parts panel at all, only three mode buttons (offset, rotate and root) in the left of the screen.[/QUOTE]

I get this, too, but I found a workaround; click on the Action Groups tab, then the Parts tab again, the Parts list displays properly (until the next time you use the Action Groups tab).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.