[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

I found this mod particularly useful in building large stations and ships (B9's HX-size, for example). It's wonderful to be able to change all my big, fat, HX engines to the same action groups once assembled in space! And was very tiresome, without this mod. Thanks!

FfWJ7dF.jpg

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXEditor.MonitorDefaultActions () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXEditor.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I seem to be having problems with AGX not reloading the Group Names I set. It works normally for any new ships. After some time, it just starts dumping the custom group names, but the group settings are kept. I found the above error in the output log. It repeats dozens of times.

Also, I've edit the group names back in. The AGExtEditor.cfg files updates and saves the config. Cool. As soon as I open up another ship, it reverts to a previous state, losing all the changes it had. (With the current instance of this issues, it will revert to an ~8kb file from a ~23kb file). This happens even if I reload the exact same craft I had just edited and saved. One other thing I notice is that my *.craft files have a lot of bloat for the AGX module. I'll find ACTION settings for groups I long since changed (or removed) and/or duplicate entries for the exact same action and group. In some cases, both. I do reused craft designs and fork them, so I know WHERE the old settings are from, but I have no idea why they are so persistent in residing within the saved .craft files. I can't tell if this is AGX's or just weird KSP behavior. (I do think it's KSP though, since KSP was doing something similar even before I install AGX.)

Any advice? I'm getting tired of having to re-enter my group names almost every time I load my saved crafts. (SPH-only so far, BTW, if that helps. I don't touch the VAB much.) On the bright side, I no longer get a weird mish-mash of cross-craft group settings getting merged together. Since I re-used and edit/modify designs to fit whatever use I need (rather than from scratch each time), I used to get VERY OLD settings getting loaded with newer designs. Or leftover groups from sub-assemblies not currently in use with a design...

First, can I get an output_log.txt where the error occurs?

I'm specifically interested in when you first load the editor, do you get an "AGX Started Okay" line in the log? Or do you get an "AGX Start Error" message?

Second, the 23kb to 8kb file means things are starting to save but not finishing the save. That was already clear from your description but the fact it starts saving and fails part way through is interesting as the file not saving at all is a more common error.

Third, this only happens when you load old vessels, or does it seem to happen randomly? The data format has changed a few times over AGX's life and while I tried to make everything backwards compatible, it is quite possible I missed something. If you do have a .craft file where this happens quite often, can I get a copy of that file and the AGExtEdtior.cfg file so I can see the raw data? That would help me out as well.

I did see you mentioned new vessels work fine, but is that new vessels can be saved and reopened, or just that they work fine the first time you are in the editor?

D.

Edited by Diazo

I'm starting to think it's something inherent (or at least partly) to how KSP handles some stuff. After my post, I went back and tried something:

I loaded a craft in the game I was playing when I made my post. FYI, this game instance had been running for a while (I passed out and forgot to exit...) I re-entered my group names for the craft and saved it. I alt-tab to double-check the AGExtEditor.cfg file for the savegame updated as it should. That checks out. I exit the SPH, exit the game, and quit KSP properly via the menus. I re-load the game, go back to the save, into the SPH, and load the craft file. BAM! Groupnames stuck this time. So something is breaking if I let the game run too long...

Now, just some more feedback so you can see when I tried:

The AGExtEditor.cfg does in fact save when I mod groups. It only reverts when I load a craft file while the bug is in effect (again, not really sure if it's AGX or inherent to KSP at this point...). If I do anything else, it keeps. I double check by Alt-tabbing out and opening the file in Notepad to be sure.

So far, now that I look back on it, seems to only really happen when a game instance has been running for too long (because of that, I have no idea what could be the actual cause for this in my case.) I do have a habit of using the Undo (CTRL+Z) function in the Editor. I've noticed many things KSP kinda dislike that function (I'll get sudden dupes of actions in the Actions groups; annoying when my engines DON'T turn off because they now toggle an even number of times...)

It happens with ANY vessel/craft file I use when it is in effect. It kinda pointless to try and send you any craft file, as far as I can tell.

I actually tried locking the file as Read-Only after a groupname mod was done and saved to the file. I prompt did a craft load, butt he names didn't stick (this is what made me try the exit-after-mod test, which made me think something in KSP is broken... No surprise there, I guess...)

I just reloaded a game (it actually crashed earlier while I was testing RealChute settings for a spaceplane...). I checked the output_log.txt file just to be sure and found this for AGX:

AGX EditorSaveToFile FAIL 1 System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at EditorLogic.recurseShipList (.Part part, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 shipList) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EditorLogic.getSortedShipList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EditorLogic.get_SortedShipList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXEditor.EditorSaveToNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I just loaded a craft file (same one I was working on when KSP crashed on me) and the groupnames didn't save. Not sure if that was caused by the crash or not. If you're still interested, I can try to get back to a stable point (i.e. Craft loaded with retained groupnames on a freshly started KSP instance, rather than this restart after a crash) and report back later. I know this will affect me again at some point, but I'd rather get you involved once I get back to a "stable", controlled, predictable setting again for test purposes. (That crash REALLY didn't help matters...) I'll upload a log file when I get a more typical instance of my issue.

My apologies since it feels like I'm troubling you for something that now seems to be on my end more so than not... or inherent to KSP. The bloated ACTION entries for action group inside .craft files really makes me think it's something in KSP itself. I can usually trim a few kB just from removing duplicate ACTION entries. I had similar problem even before I got AGX. I got AGX in the hopes it would solve THAT problem, which it has, sorta... I can post a *.craft file for the action group bloat if you want, though I'm running a few dozen mods. The spaceplane example I have has dependencies on at least/around 5 mods minimum, so it might be hard for you to load in-game. You could still look at it via Notepad (or similar), though.

Thanks for your time, help, and, of course, the great mod!

EDIT: And I guess I spoke too soon. Here's a fresh log file: http://1drv.ms/19MGf85

Edited by StahnAileron
Adding link

Odd.

First, this error is a non-issue.

AGX EditorSaveToFile FAIL 1 System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at EditorLogic.recurseShipList (.Part part, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 shipList) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXEditor.EditorSaveToNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It happens when you leave the editor (including when moving to a new editor scene on loading a vessel) if there are no parts placed. I need to figure out how to stop it as it is expected behavior in that situation, I just have not figured out how.

Second, Ctrl-Z undo is technically supported by AGX, but it is only reliable going back one undo. If you are pressing Ctrl-Z multiple times in a row it can get unreliable. (KSP's undo function is kind of wonky.)

Third, the same action should not be able to be assigned to the same action group more then once. I specifically check for this when actions are added so something is slipping through. I'll see if I can figure out where that is happening.

Fourth, while AGX itself is not throwing any errors in the log, there is this line in the log several times:

[KIS] Module <ModuleAGX> is not set as stackable in settings.cfg

I have never seen that before and I will have to track down what exactly that means. Do you have an installed mod that "KIS" might be?

I'll see what I can dig up,

D.

Odd.

First, this error is a non-issue.

It happens when you leave the editor (including when moving to a new editor scene on loading a vessel) if there are no parts placed. I need to figure out how to stop it as it is expected behavior in that situation, I just have not figured out how.

Cool. Good to know.

Second, Ctrl-Z undo is technically supported by AGX, but it is only reliable going back one undo. If you are pressing Ctrl-Z multiple times in a row it can get unreliable. (KSP's undo function is kind of wonky.)

So I have noticed. I have had to do it more than once in a row. That might be compounding the issue (or initiating it...) The editor, IMHO, need some work (I would LOVE a horizontal scroll/pan in the SPH for one... SPH need positioning controls like the old Homeworld system or something.)

Third, the same action should not be able to be assigned to the same action group more then once. I specifically check for this when actions are added so something is slipping through. I'll see if I can figure out where that is happening.

Stock-ish KSP was giving me a similar problem. This might be inherent and KSP induced rather than something with AGX. From my experience, it's tied to the Undo function. (As if the undo tries to force actions groups that get removed back into place, even if they technically haven't bee removed yet. This tends to happen when I accidently click on part to pick it up and instead of re-placing it, I UNDO instead, before deleting the parts on the cursor. This methodology creates dupes parts and I think KSP doesn't bother doing a dupe check in the groups.)

Fourth, while AGX itself is not throwing any errors in the log, there is this line in the log several times:

I have never seen that before and I will have to track down what exactly that means. Do you have an installed mod that "KIS" might be?

Yeah, that's the newer Kerbal Inventory System. Had it for maybe a week, but my problem pre-dates that. I just hadn't said anything yet because I was trying to troubleshoot this on my own first.

D.

Thanks! I'm having issues once more after the crash. I think the way KSP is saving *.craft files is playing a part. Here's a link to *.craft file: http://1drv.ms/1FnOB0R

This is the one I've been working on and is intended to be the workhorse for my current game session. I know for sure it relies on:

B9 Aerospace

B9 Procedural Wings

OPT (Orbit Portal Technologies) Spaceplane Parts

Kerbal Inventory System (maybe KAS as well...)

TAC-LS

A mod that adds an Advanced SAS part for the Mk2 system (Maybe SXT?)

...And maybe some others. Anyway, if you look at the file in a text editor, you'll notice some action groups get duplicate entries for the same part, same action. I've been trying to figure out how to prevent this as it seems to be compounding my problem. I've edited the dupe entries out and it seems to help a bit (with the save craft, exit game, reload game, load craft method), but yeah... Quite tedious and by the time I realize the bug is in effect, it's too late to do anything to correct it other than go through the whole process again. This is my second install of KSP (my first one got bugged out when I tried to mix ATM and DDS4KSP together... That instance didn't have AGX install and was giving me the Dupe actions bug I've outline previously, so something has got to be inherently wonky with KSP and action group saving.)

Odd.

D.

Thats from Kerbal Inventory System. It checks which modules a part contains to see if the part can be stacked inside a container. I added the ModuleAGX to the StackableModule list in the KIS/settings.cfg because else no part would be stackable. Maybe this can be added using modulemanager? (Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113111-0-90-Kerbal-Inventory-System-%28KIS%29-1-0-1)

Version 1.31a

Download here.

-Tweaks for upcoming kOS 1.17 release.

Nothing major, just a few usability tweaks that came up in discussions with the kOS devs for the upcoming kOS 1.17 release.

@Ohm Machre: The download link on the first page should take you to the release post on the last page that has the changelog notes. If for some reason your browser is not taking you there, you can use the all releases link to go to my github where the releases are available from.

@StahnAileron: In 1.31a I added some expanded logging to catch the "MonitorDefaultActions" error if it happens again. Beyond that, your comment about there being "double actions" is what I suspect. In the craft file, you mean the

ACTIONS
{
}

node itself, or actions within the node, are being duplicated right? If that is the case, I'm going to have to say that the root cause is not AGX. While AGX reads the actions to use them, it does nothing to the default actions on the part so something else has to be duplicating them. However, if those actions are being duplicated, that would explain pretty much all the wierdness that AGX is doing as those extra actions would throw AGX for a loop.

D.

Version 1.31a

@StahnAileron: In 1.31a I added some expanded logging to catch the "MonitorDefaultActions" error if it happens again. Beyond that, your comment about there being "double actions" is what I suspect. In the craft file, you mean the

ACTIONS
{
}

node itself, or actions within the node, are being duplicated right? If that is the case, I'm going to have to say that the root cause is not AGX. While AGX reads the actions to use them, it does nothing to the default actions on the part so something else has to be duplicating them. However, if those actions are being duplicated, that would explain pretty much all the wierdness that AGX is doing as those extra actions would throw AGX for a loop.

D.

Speaking of that:

So I did a refresh of my install because SOMETHING got FUBAR'ed at some point or another. It was evident when I started a brand new save to test stuff out and my CoM for craft was non-existent (i.e. I had no wet mass; dry mass and average mass still functioned though, oddly enough.) So yeah, time to start anew, willingly or not...

New install, new game, new aircraft. AGX is functioning fine. I kept my old saves to test out and loaded the one I know I was having issues with. Those still existed. So I know it's NOT the mods themselves: fresh install. It has to be something about the older craft. So I compare a fresh, new craft file to the one I've been wrestling with all this time. I hunt down parts in each I know I set actionGroups for and compare:

New, functional craft:

[inherent Part Action Block]

ACTIONS
{
OnAction
{
actionGroup = Custom03
}
ShutdownAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
ActivateAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
}

[AGExt Module Action Block]

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAGX
isEnabled = True
placeHolder = Hello World
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}

Older, bugged craft:

[inherent Part Action Block]

ACTIONS
{
OnAction
{
actionGroup = Custom04
}
ShutdownAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
ActivateAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
}

[AGExt Module Action Block]

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAGX
isEnabled = True
placeHolder = Hello World
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
ACTION
{
group = 4
groupName = Rocket Ctrl
activated = 0
partModule = ModuleEngines
actionGuiName = Toggle Engine
actionName = OnAction
custom1 = NA
}

The bugged version is the how I've been seeing things before the more recent update you made that revamps AGX. The older, bugged craft was made under the older version. It seems the new version never cleaned out the craft files or something (or I installed it wrong...). Did the older version of AGX save the groupings to the craft files directly as well as the main cfg file? Otherwise, I THINK I know what I can try to do to un-SNAFU my older craft files so they actually keep groupnames (and hopefully not perpetually reset the main AGX cfg for the savegame.)

I shall return at some later point after some testing (editing these craft files is tedious). Thanks for the help so far!

EDIT: Just some extra results...

Tried the file edit, no help. On a whim, I tried some other craft files, same save. THOSE work. There's a family of SSTO's I designed that have issues, it seems. This might be a mod incompatibility. The mod in question is OPT Space plane parts. I have one craft that only uses 2 parts from that part and it works fine. The one that I have problems with are using several parts from that pack. I'll have to do some part testing from that mod to narrow this down a bit more, assuming it's at fault... At this point, I don't care as long as I find out what is causing this (relatively minor) inconvenience for me. At least once I figure it out I can then attempt to actually fix it. Or find a workaround...

Now if KSP would stop crashing so damn often...

EDIT2: Okay, seems to be something inherent to just those craft files. I have NO idea what it could be now. *sigh* Guess I'll just have to build those SSTOs from scratch (once more) and give them a completely new *.craft save. Damn you, KSP!

Anyway, again, thanks for your help and time. One of my older posts has the affected craft file if you're interested in it for curiosity's sake.

Edited by StahnAileron
More content from limited testing...

Okay, this Actions thing might actually be working correctly.

First, every partModule in the game has an

ACTIONS
{
}

with any actions on that part having an entry. The block in your previous post you've labeled Inherent Part Action block looks like a correctly formatted for a ModuleEngines partModule. There should only be one of these ACTIONS blocks per partModule.

Then my ModuleAGX comes along and confuses things.

Because ModuleAGX is a partModule, it still has the ACTIONS block but it is empty because AGX does not have any actions itself.

Also, in some situations, AGX uses the ACTION (note no S on the end) block to save actions if any are present and as AGX uses one ACTION block per assigned action in the game, multiple ACTION blocks on the ModuleAGX partModule is expected behavior when a part has more then one action assigned. Note that only happens in specific circumstances, namely sub-assemblies. AGX's primary data storage is in the AGExt#####.cfg files and an assigned action in-game not showing in the ACTION block on the ModuleAGX is not a problem.

Now, you say the .craft file linked in your previous post screws up? I'll take a second look at it and see if I can spot something wrong with it. (I only looked at the AGX specific stuff last time.)

D.

edit: Okay, taking the .craft file from your last post, my suspicion falls upon KIS.

Downloading the .craft file and all the mods needed, when I try to load it in the editor only the root part is placed. One of errors in the log is a Wrong Dictionary Key error by KIS.

Deleting the KIS.dll file (so leaving the parts so the craft still loads), the plane loads sucessfully in the editor.

Note that even though the plane loads, there are still errors in the log, notably from the procedural wings and from my install being different and so loading the partModules in a different order, but if you delete the KIS.dll also, does it work for you? (I recommend trying a fresh game so deleting the KIS.dll file does not corrupt your save in some other way.)

Edited by Diazo

Thats from Kerbal Inventory System. It checks which modules a part contains to see if the part can be stacked inside a container. I added the ModuleAGX to the StackableModule list in the KIS/settings.cfg because else no part would be stackable. Maybe this can be added using modulemanager? (Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113111-0-90-Kerbal-Inventory-System-%28KIS%29-1-0-1)

I was able to look into this this morning as well.

Unfortunately, the file is hard coded so I can not use moduleManager to add ModuleAGX to the settings.cfg. The player will have to do it by hand with notepad, I'll add a note to the first post about it.

D.

Funny thing is it's been working properly with my current fresh install WITH KIS so far. I'll let you know if I get conflicts again. I've been using this install to try out FAR and compare it with NEAR (I've been using NEAR to date).

The last install with the problem was an evolving install (it was my second). It started with several core mods added, but other stuff was slowly added and/or removed as I tried out mods. I know at one point I did SOMETHING to confuse KSP because it stalled when trying to load up KAX (MIGHT have been DDS4KSP related though...)

Current install has had less fiddling with it. I've been just swapping FAR and NEAR in. (I like the idea of FAR, but holy crap does it make designing space planes HARD; probably sticking with NEAR for the more arcade-y but still sensible physics.)

KIS is a WIP; it's meant to replace KAS, I think. It's still a prerelease work, so you can probably throw a request to the devs there to change that behavior, if possible. I know the new IR plug-in rework is spamming my log with... something. (It seems to do a pass every time something is done in the Editor.)

Again, thanks so much for helping me troubleshoot this. It's very much appreciated. <(^_^)> If something like this pops up again, I'll be back. (Hoping not, of course ^_~)

@StahnAileron: The KIS issue seems to be that KIS saved invalid data in the .craft file that has the problem and can't handle the bad data when it tries to load it. I've made a bug report on the KIS github so hopefully a future version of KIS will fix it so it can't save bad data, or can load a file with bad data without the error you are experiencing.

And with KSP version 1.0 around the corner things are going to get exciting fast. Looking at the expected change log I think every single mod of mine is going to break catastrophically when the new version hits.

I'm hoping to get one last small release of AGX out before KSP 1.0, but we'll see how it goes.

D.

edit:

Version 1.31b

Download here.

-Sub-Assemblies now save their hold and toggle group states.

Very minor release, been working on this on and off for a bit now.

This is the last release of AGX until KSP 1.0 hits. I will still release bug-fixes if people report any issues, but I want something stable to work with when 1.0 hits and breaks everything.

Edited by Diazo

First time user. Downloaded latest version 1.31b. Very cool mod, but GUI seems a little hosed...? That top window would benefit from being wider. And that bottom window can't be read clearly.

The mod worked like a charm, though! Thanks!!!

35ip477.jpg

Edited by 11Bravo49417

That is weird.

Both windows are FUBAR for some reason. Is there any error message being thrown in the log file? (Alt-F2 in game, or KSP\KSP_Managed\output_log.txt)

The top window is supposed to show one row per assigned action group, not multiple groups stacked on top of each other like that.

I'll see if I can replicate.

D.

edit: Actually, I see you only have a single action. Right-Click the AGX button and click the "Show Keycodes" button will help that situation.

Still working on why the bottom window is FUBAR.

edit the 2nd: Something is overriding my GUI preferences so things are not showing up as I intend. I'll figure out how to lock it down here and get a fix out for you.

edit the 3rd: Okay, this GUI mess is stumping me. I'll keep working on it tomorrow, but for now that should be usable as while that looks odd, it does not actually affect the button placement despite how wierd they look.

Edited by Diazo

Can I use AGX 1.31 with the RemoteTech 1.7 releases provided by the developer, or do I need to follow the procedure documented in the release notes (install 1.6.3 and then replace the DLL with one that's downloaded from Google Drive)?

Also, if I don't feel like running a pre-release version of RT, it possible to use AGX 1.31 with RT 1.6.3? Will it just bypass RemoteTech's signal delay and connectivity logic, or will it blow up in my face?

Can I use AGX 1.31 with the RemoteTech 1.7 releases provided by the developer, or do I need to follow the procedure documented in the release notes (install 1.6.3 and then replace the DLL with one that's downloaded from Google Drive)?

Also, if I don't feel like running a pre-release version of RT, it possible to use AGX 1.31 with RT 1.6.3? Will it just bypass RemoteTech's signal delay and connectivity logic, or will it blow up in my face?

AGX 1.31 should be compatible with RT 1.6.3 in that when you activate actions they will correctly apply the signal delay. However you will not be able to queue actions into the flight computer.

And Remotetech 1.7 as provided by the RT devs should work, the link I provide is the RemoteTech 1.7 .dll file that I tested with as I don't know what other changes the RT devs have since added to version 1.7

D.

The GUI issue is resolved. The top window was me learning how to assign action groups to a key. Looking good.

Bottom window fix looks great. Thanks for the prompt attention!!! And very useful mod!!! :D

xpoidg.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Posted a screen shot but the forum wasn't showing it...so tried again...

xpoidg.jpg

Edited by 11Bravo49417

The screenshot is showing up fine for me (has the green circle around the Flight and RemoteTech windows).

Glad to hear it is working for you. Does the RemoteTech window make sense? I still need to finish the documentation for that and would like some feedback.

D.

I am new to this mod and to Remote Tech so a thorough test will not be possible for some time.

However, a quick test this morning seemed to indicate things were working correctly. I was able to bypass Remote Tech and manually trigger action groups on my no antenna craft using the top window even when outside the range of KSC.

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic a bit...

By the way, my not being able to see my own images seems to be a Firefox issue. Able to see the images in IE or Chrome, although the post was created in Firefox. In case anybody else experienced the issue...

Um... bug report! I'm building a Space Shuttle replica, and I have a few action groups assigned, and they work great! Except when loading the vessel in the VAB again... then they have duplicated... for example, I have a cargo bay, and it has one group, so I press the button it toggles. but when I save, load the vessel there are two toggle groups, so it toggles the bay two times! I am using a BUTTLOAD of mods, so I don't know if there's a problem there but I just wanted to see if any1 else has this problem?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.