[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

Installed latest version. These are the three windows displayed in Editor and in-flight. I cannot assign numeric keys as I did previously. I had to remove this mod to get that functonality returned.

What do I need to do?

aL1krFO.jpg

Edited by Apollo13

Well holy crap... 1.31h seems to have solved my stuttering problem with long flights and high-speed travel. I never would have thought to check AGX. I kept thinking it was related to a physics-calculating plug-in or something along those lines (I have several flight assistance/related plug-ins, like MechJeb, NEAR, Trajectories, NavHUD, etc.)

I only thought that because the stuttering only hit under certain conditions, namely high-speed atmos travel (>1000m/s and/or aropund the near transition from atmos to space) and long/hard burns in space. And my 32-bit sessions have been lasting longer per play; back to what they used to be, give or take... That memory leak was horrid...45-60 minutes of flight time max from a 2GB initial load. The stuttering required quicksaves and loads to manage.

Looking back, I guess my problems did occur around the same time I updated AGX to 1.3 or so. Unfortunately, I had updated several other mods AND added others (both plug-ins and actual mods). Actually, I think this started around the same time I contacted you earlier about my craft file problems... Go figure.

Anyway, THANK YOU for the excellent and very timely support! Large craft tend to have lots of actions that need direct, fast control and AGX is the way to do it. It's been a staple plug-in for me ever since I tried it. Keep up the good (though perhaps hard?) work!

@Apollo13: Wait, what functionality do you think is missing?

The windows in your screenshot show a level 1 VAB/SPH with no access to custom (numbered) action groups, therefore since you can't assign actions to those groups, you can't change those groups keybindings.

AGX has never offered the ability to change the keybinds on the named action groups (lights/brakes/etc) either.

Are you saying you have a fully upgraded VAB/SPH that AGX is detecting as only a level 1 building? Or are you asking for something else?

If you are asking about overriding this limitation, so you can use numbered action groups before having a fully upgraded VAB/SPH, the OverrideCareer line in the GameData\Diazo\AGext\AGExt.cfg file needs to be "Override Career = 1".

@StahnAileron: Yes, sometimes Unity (the game engine KSP runs on) does odd things and I ran afoul of one of those oddities when I release version 1.31e that resulted in a massive memory leak which version 1.31h fixes.

Sorry about that. :/

D.

Yeah, it was starting to screw up a craft for some reason, getting the same behavior I was seeing with some of the tweakable everything stuff.

I think it MAY have been because I put the activestrut bits on.

*sigh* FFS, why is it doing this crap with this mod? I'll post the stuff shortly.............

Any idea why it's doing this behavior with the actiongoups extended mod?

This is what happens when I try to load the ship in the VAB, the ship is supposed to have over 500 parts, that thing up there is the command pod on top, well, WAS on top.

screenshot130_zpsivandvyr.png

What happens when I try to launch it:

screenshot131_zpsgatarjza.png

Wierd behavior that I didn't see before, it launched some tiny thing, couldn't zoom in on it:

screenshot132_zpsezfrsvdc.png

Output log: http://sta.sh/01xwfa538nwu

What the craft is supposed to look like:

screenshot122_zpsbmthiu7x.png

There is one difference in the modlist though, and that's the tweakable everything folder which I don't have in atm.

modlist_zpsbqdmwwuh.png

So, any clue WHY it's doing this???? It's frustrating me to no end.

Edit: Actually, that craft image is a bit old, the bottom stage there is redesigned a bit, but otherwise the craft is the same.

Edit: I looked at my other ships and thats the only one that's having the issues.

Edit3: You know what, I'm going to deconstruct that damn craft until I find whatever is causing this, maybe starting with the clampotron sr docking ports.

Edit4: ARG! You know what, I think this craft got corrupted somehow, heres the craft file: http://sta.sh/01x42r2js1eo

Edited by smjjames

My suspicion would be KIS.

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,KIS.KIS_Item].Add (Int32 key, KIS.KIS_Item value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.AddItem (.AvailablePart availablePart, .ConfigNode partNode, Single qty, Int32 slot) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.LoadModule (.ConfigNode node, System.Int32& moduleIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipConstruct.LoadShip (.ConfigNode root) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipConstruction.LoadShip (System.String filePath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EditorLogic.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

That is a critical error in the LoadShip method and so it stops the LoadShip method meaning you only see the one part load.

D.

My suspicion would be KIS.

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,KIS.KIS_Item].Add (Int32 key, KIS.KIS_Item value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.AddItem (.AvailablePart availablePart, .ConfigNode partNode, Single qty, Int32 slot) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.LoadModule (.ConfigNode node, System.Int32& moduleIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipConstruct.LoadShip (.ConfigNode root) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipConstruction.LoadShip (System.String filePath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EditorLogic.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

That is a critical error in the LoadShip method and so it stops the LoadShip method meaning you only see the one part load.

D.

Huh, I'll go let KospY know.

EDIT: Hey, its the same thing as this! https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/30 I remembered some issue thing about only root part loading and I looked and it's exactly the same thing apparently.

Edited by smjjames

StahnAileron: Yes, sometimes Unity (the game engine KSP runs on) does odd things and I ran afoul of one of those oddities when I release version 1.31e that resulted in a massive memory leak which version 1.31h fixes.

Sorry about that. :/

D.

So I am noticing. :confused::(

No worries, though. :P You've been providing excellent support :wink::). 1.31e does sound like around the version I updated to that started that.

In the short time I have been exposed to Unity (about a month now), I am not a fan of it :mad:. KSP seems to be more hampered then helped by it at this point, though I guess Unity's served well enough early in development. It's hard to change engines wholesale after all. I'm taking a Network Systems Admin course and part of it requires use of VMPlayer. Seems VMPlayer is also based on Unity. That plus corporate greed on VMware's part (or whoever now owns them) has been causing issues for my class and the instructor...

Yeah, not a fan of Unity here... But gotta work with what we're given. And Squad gave us a Unity-powered KSP, so yeah... :sealed:

@Apollo13: Wait, what functionality do you think is missing?

The windows in your screenshot show a level 1 VAB/SPH with no access to custom (numbered) action groups, therefore since you can't assign actions to those groups, you can't change those groups keybindings.

AGX has never offered the ability to change the keybinds on the named action groups (lights/brakes/etc) either.

Are you saying you have a fully upgraded VAB/SPH that AGX is detecting as only a level 1 building? Or are you asking for something else?

If you are asking about overriding this limitation, so you can use numbered action groups before having a fully upgraded VAB/SPH, the OverrideCareer line in the GameData\Diazo\AGext\AGExt.cfg file needs to be "Override Career = 1".

My VAB is Level 2. Prior to my posting, I was able to assign numbered action groups. I was NOT attempting to change keybindings for named action groups. I was showing that those were the ONLY option I was given.

qZS1qrt.jpg

As an experiment, I upgraded the VAB to Level 3. Custom action groups were now available. So, there was a bug. That is, I was able to assign numbered custom action groups, however, I was at Level 2, not level 3.

Edited by Apollo13

Okay, I think things are working as intended.

Please go into the KSP\GameData\Diazo\AGExt\AGExt.cfg file and change the "OverrideCareer" value from 0 to 1, this should return the behavior to what you are expecting.

Version 1.31 of AGX changed how the AGExt.cfg options file is saved and I believe that your file got reset to defaults when you upgraded, which would have changed the OverrideCareer setting back to 0 so AGX was only displaying the action groups you had unlocked.

The changes made in version 1.31 are intended to keep this from happening again, you should not have your settings reset to defaults the next time you update AGX.

To be clear, with an OverrideCareer of 1, the current level of your VAB/SPH is ignored and all action groups are available at all times. (I believe you had previously set this to 1 and then it got reset to 0.)

An OverrideCareer of 0 means that AGX will only show action groups you have unocked. So a Level 1 VAB/SPH will not even show AGX, a Level 2 VAB/SPH will only show the named action groups and a Level 3 VAB/SPH will show all action groups. (Note in my previous post I had the numbering wrong and was calling the partially upgrade Level 2 facility a Level 1 facility.)

Does this match what you are seeing?

D.

Version 1.32

KSP 1.0 Update. No functionality changes. (KSP 1.0.2 also)

This is a breaking update, KSP 0.90 users need to stay on version 1.31h.

Also, while I did try to test everything and it should all work fine, this is a complex mod and I would not be surprised if I missed a few small things.

Post up any issues you run into and I'll get them fixed ASAP.

D.

Edited by Diazo

Diazo, feature request, (unless I'm dumb and it's already in place): AG's set as TOGGLE? have a second name field so we can name the state the toggle is in.

e.g. I have an AG for engines that uses the engines' Toggle Engine command. I set the Toggle flag for the AG. Now I have a second Name Field I can customized to remind me of what state the AG is either (a) currently in or (B) will be in when pressed again (depending on the names I give the group.)

I know you color code the Toggleable AG's (and they seem to actually reflect the Toggle state of the parts as well, which is awesome!), but sometimes I feel like I'm dumb and need a more blatant reminder of what my AGs do/are doing :P

I think I'm going to have to deny this request, it is a significant amount of work for not a lot of gain. Adding two new fields to each action group and then re-jigging the GUI to display them correctly would take quite a lot of work. (Two fields because to do this request correctly the field displayed when the group is off and when the group is on would be two different text strings.)

Having said that, if you hide the Keycodes in the flight window, that is not long enough a text description? I tried to make that window as wide as possible so you could enter reminders like this as the group description. If it isn't, making that window wider to show a longer text string would not be a huge deal.

D.

How do I keep getting in this GD mode where I cannot see the GD keyboard assignment anymore?

Okay sorry for the frustration. I read back a couple pages and saw someone else with the same question. I am in career mode and the VAB is only level 1. Can you please put a line in the post #1 in big ass RED letters warning that functionality is limited in career mode. This has to be the fifth time I ran into this and I keep forgetting why and literally spend hours banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I cannot get the key binding window. It would be very helpful to have something in the first post so I do not have to scrub though dozens of posts to stumble on the answer. It might not even be a bad idea to put the option button there and ghost it out and pop up a tool tip explaining why it cannot be activated?

8h3T9M2.png

Edited by ctbram

Can you please put a line in the post #1 in big ass RED letters warning that functionality is limited in career mode. This has to be the fifth time I ran into this and I keep forgetting why and literally spend hours banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I cannot get the key binding window. It would be very helpful to have something in the first post so I do not have to scrub though dozens of posts to stumble on the answer. It might not even be a bad idea to put the option button there and ghost it out and pop up a tool tip explaining why it cannot be activated?

From the OP:

-Option to override Career Mode action groups lockout on low level buildings to use action groups immediately if desired (Disabled by default)

There's also a link to the instructions how to override the career mode setting. To ease your frustration, here's the link.

As this does seem to be a recurring issue, I've moved the mention in the opening post about action groups respecting career mode so hopefully it will be more visible.

@ctbram: I'm not sure what you mean by "GD mode"? If you are talking about the key assignments for the named action groups, those are done via the KSP settings menu. Your brakes are your brakes, I did not expect players to be wanting to change that key assignment so I don't offer that functionality.

D.

Just a short notice: Don't know whos fault it is but it doesn't seem to work in 1.0 with Aviation Lights v3.7. (edit: I can still click them manually, but I can't use them on a action group e.g. lights)

Anyway I love this mod.

I'll look into it.

Is the error the action shows up in the action list and can be assigned to an action group, but nothing happens on activation, or is the error that the actions don't show in the actions list to be picked?

D.

The toggle action on aero control surfaces (ie. 'Elevon 1') doesn't seem to work with AGX. Extend/Retract actions work as would be expected however toggle just doesn't seem to do anything. I've also tried enabling the AGX toggle option but while the action group changes color when clicked it still doesn't affect the part's state.

The toggle action works correctly when removing AGX and using stock action groups.

I'll look into it.

Is the error the action shows up in the action list and can be assigned to an action group, but nothing happens on activation, or is the error that the actions don't show in the actions list to be picked?

D.

Info: Ok, all I did was in 1.0.0. Haven't used anything above, yet.

I can assign them to any group. They work in the "normal" extended action groups, just like intended. But they done nothing when I had put them into the lights group.

Info: Ok, all I did was in 1.0.0. Haven't used anything above, yet.

I can assign them to any group. They work in the "normal" extended action groups, just like intended. But they done nothing when I had put them into the lights group.

Okay, with KSP 1.0.2 and AGX 1.32, I am unable to replicate.

My test was to start a new vessel in the VAB, plunk down a capsule, add both a white and red aviation light on to it. I then used the "Other" tab of agx to assign the "Light Toggle" action on both lights to the "Lights" action group.

Launching the vessel onto the launch pad everything behaved as expected with the "Lights" action group turning the two lights on and off.

If it is still not working for you I'm going to need more detailed replication steps and a copy of your Output_log.txt to see what errors are being thrown.

D.

Is there some way to bind firing guns to an action group? Using a controller and it's just impractical to reach for the mouse just to fire static guns. The weapon manager shortcut only works for missiles.

Btw, independent of this mod: Does someone else have the issue of custom action groups (0-10) not working on controller? Had to bind functions to stuff like Stage or RCS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.