[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

@Jacke: I think that is actually behaving as intended.

To confirm, could you please go into the KSP settings screen from the main menu and check that Custom Action Groups 1-10 are bound to something? When AGX starts, it reads those key assignments and assigns them to Keyset 1, Groups 1-10 so when people first install the mod if they have changed their keybinds those are carried over.

Now, this is only supposed to happen once when first installed, not every time, so something is going on here. (Also, please check that you are on 1.16b. An earlier version, 1.14 I think, had a bug where it would always wipe groups 1-10 as you are describing.)

D.

edit: And I suspect that you (or another mod) is going to the settings window during flight. Looking at my code I can see several potential issues if that happens. Should be an easy fix though.

Edited by Diazo

@Jacke: I think that is actually behaving as intended.

To confirm, could you please go into the KSP settings screen from the main menu and check that Custom Action Groups 1-10 are bound to something? When AGX starts, it reads those key assignments and assigns them to Keyset 1, Groups 1-10 so when people first install the mod if they have changed their keybinds those are carried over.

Now, this is only supposed to happen once when first installed, not every time, so something is going on here. (Also, please check that you are on 1.16b. An earlier version, 1.14 I think, had a bug where it would always wipe groups 1-10 as you are describing.)

D.

edit: And I suspect that you (or another mod) is going to the settings window during flight. Looking at my code I can see several potential issues if that happens. Should be an easy fix though.

Went to Settings, saw Custom Action 1 through 10 were assigned to Alpha1 to Alpha0. Exited KSP, restarted. In Settings still assigned. Load game, go into VAB and load last rocket, KeySet1 now has correct Alpha1 to Alpha0 assigned. Exit game, check AGExt.cfg, KeySet1 string is correct. Exit KSP, restart KSP. Check AGExt.cfg, KeySet1 is blank again. Don't change it. Load game and then rocket, in game KeySet1 is empty, in AGExt.cfg KeySet1 is blank. Exit VAB and game, check Settings, Custom Action 1 through 10 are unassigned. Exit KSP.

Output_log.txt is here.

Okay, colour me confused. :P

Found using the SPH tonight actions assigned to 1-10 worked fine, but ones on the higher numbers saved the name but not the action. I assigned an action to both a base group and an extended one to test and the one on the base stayed but the extended one was lost when loading the plane. I got the log and included the save, I hope I got everything you need to try and find what is going on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31f92l1u0cuk9tb/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n202hs7fks9a7tx/save.zip?dl=0

In progress AGExt.dll here.

@Jacke: Alright, you are 3rd or 4th report of things going wrong with the KeySet integration with KSP so I've gone and ripped it out. Rather then try and keep things sync'd between AGX and KSP, AGX now simply ignores the KSP keybinds.

@JeffreyCor: Ugh. Alright. I'll start going through the files. Did you test the same thing in the VAB? I'm still focusing on the SPH as the reports I keep getting are all from the SPH. I'll update this post with any details I find when I go through the files you linked.

D.

edit: Coordinates? Ugh. What are you doing KSP? Why is the SPH off in it's own world? Digging into it but fixing this is going to require me figuring out just what the SPH is doing for part locations and why they are different numbers then in the VAB or in Flight.

edit the second: Tweakscale? Hmmm. How much do you do with tweakscale Jeffrey? Not sure it's the issue, but it is changing a part's location on me.

edit the third: Really, this is a stumper. I have tweaked things a bit.

Having said that, I have not actually tracked this issue down yet. Will continue to investigate.

edit the fourth: Okay, further tweaks, this time with some additional logging. The biggest thing that is stumping me at the moment is that AGX is not throwing any errors so I have nothing to go on to troubleshoot. Hopefully the logging I have added will help out.

D.

Edited by Diazo

In progress AGExt.dll here.

@Jacke: Alright, you are 3rd or 4th report of things going wrong with the KeySet integration with KSP so I've gone and ripped it out. Rather then try and keep things sync'd between AGX and KSP, AGX now simply ignores the KSP keybinds.

Diazo, I download and installe the AGExt.dll in this post's original form at 10h00. That .dll fixed the wiping-KeySet1 bug.

I suggest you put a patch number on these .dll's, Diazo, either in the name or in the internal metadata (Windows says they're all version 1.0.0.0). Right now I'm going by the modify time of your post that I use the download link from. Right now it's last modified time is 13h01, but to tell if that .dll was different from the one at 10h00, I'd have to do a binary compare.

@Jacke: To transfer a craft file, you do need to move the ConfigNode relating to that ship as-well. In the AGExtEditor.cfg in the save game you are moving a craft from, find the correct node and then copy that node to the AGExtEdtior.cfg file in your new game.

When copying a ship .craft from one save to another, I noticed something that can cause a bug. When a ship design is deleted, the section in AGExtEditor.cfg isn't deleted. If a .craft file with the same internal name ("ship = NAME") is copied into the VAB, but the section in AGExtEditor.cfg isn't adjusted, when the .craft file is loaded, the resulting AGExt action groups get their names from the AGExtEditor.cfg file but their actions become the union of the AGExtEditor.cfg file and what's in the .craft file (likely the default first 1 Action Groups, or maybe your other AGExt .cfg files in Ships).

I suggest if possible, you find a way to delete the AGExtEditor.cfg sections when a .craft file is deleted (assuming Squad gives you a hook to do so :P).

Edited by Jacke

@Jacke: On the ship name thing, rhere is a clean up routine that runs (or is supposed to), but it runs infrequently and only deletes a single ship max each time. I'll double check it is actually running correctly and see if I can make it more aggressive.

Good point also on the identification of the .dlls. I did not do it this morning because I was really releasing my dev code as I worked so I did not consider them separate versions on my end even though they really are.

For now, I'm going to sleep on this. I poked at it a bit after uploading the previous .dll but I'm pretty stumped at the moment on why SPH-flight actions are not loading correctly.

D.

On that ship nothing was changed with tweakstale. Several mods do require it, such as the current KSPI for example. I have used them a lot on VAB builds without any AGExt issues.

SPH should not have been off world and the aircraft always spawns on the normal stock runway. The only thing I have that would spawn in a different location is the simulation mode of KCT which spawns in orbit but I was not using that feature at that time.

In that particular one I sent even just loading the save fix in the SPH would cause extended group setting to be removed without any launching at all.

This had been working properly under 1.15 with this fresh start. The groups disassociating on higher groups began in this save after upgrading to 1.16

I hope I got all the questions answered :)

SPH should not have been off world and the aircraft always spawns on the normal stock runway. The only thing I have that would spawn in a different location is the simulation mode of KCT which spawns in orbit but I was not using that feature at that time.

The source of KCT would have to be checked, but from watching KCT off-world simulations, I see them momentarily spawns on the pad, then the craft is shifted to either the target surface or orbit, sort of like HyperEdit, which also starts on the pad but gives you tools to shift your spacecraft.

The in progress .dll seems to have fixed the problem with action groups being lost when loading a spaceplane :)

As this problem I've been reporting is the SPH and NOT when spawning I seriously doubt KCT would have anything at all to do with the problem with loading a aircraft in the SPH not having associated AGExt functions saved as KCT's functions are not in play at this point. Also, both normal launches and simulations using KCT with builds from the VAB have always worked fine and use the same function as for SPH builds.

There may be an issue, which I need to test to confirm or rule out, where if a vehicle is built with a different name than the save if this causes action group setting to be lost.

Actually, how are you switching away from the editor?

Right now I monitor the buttons at the top-right of the screen (Save/Launch/Exit) and save when one of those buttons is clicked.

I downloaded Tweakscale last night and played around with it. I did not note any problems with Tweakscale itself but the mods that depend on it may still be causing problems.

Does KCT offer a different way to leave the editor, such as a Simulate button? If so, it is quite possible AGExt is not saving before leaving the editor.

Also, if a vehicle is built with a different name, that will cause actions to fail and the name is what I use to identify vessels. Note that this is only when the vehicle is first built and I'm reading the actions from the editor, once a vehicle is built you can freely rename the vessel and that with not cause AGExt any problems. (Does KCT name vessels during simulation something different?)

Regardless, reading back over the thread I'm starting to lose track of the status of the various issues and who is reporting what, so here are all the issues I am aware of and intend to work on. These notes are as of my latest dev post from this page.

Keyset 1, Actions 1-10 unbinding themselves

The person who reported this has also reported the latest build fixes is. Issue is done and closed.

Actions not saving: Flight to Flight

The big rewrite in 1.16 was intended to fix this. I do not recall seeing any issues further reports of this so I'm hopeful it is fixed but want to see people using the latest version for a few more days before I consider this fully resolved.

Actions not saving: Editor (SPH) to Flight

My latest dev build has several tweaks I hoped would help with this and I have one report that they in fact do. However, I had several people report this issue so I want to see more reports that the issue is fixed before I consider this resolved. If you are still seeing this, please make a post about it and link the output_log.txt so I can see what the logging I added in my latest Dev build says.

Actions not saving: Editor to Editor

Satus: Currently being worked on

I think I've been confusing reports of this issue with the Editor To Flight bug and have not spend any notable time working on it. I have some ideas however and we'll see what I can do.

Tweak KeySet usage

One of the core features of this mod is the ability to swap between keysets to support the many action groups offered.

At the moment, this is clunky at best and not used at worst. I want to go over how keysets are interacted with so they are simpler to use.

Vessels not saving their group names and visibility after a dock/undock cycle

The ability for vessels to remember their group names was lost in the big 1.13 rewrite and I've been meaning to add it back in ever since.

Constrain windows to computer monitor

Due to schenanagins AGExt's GUI windows can get hidden off your monitor. Will add code constraining them to your monitor screen so this can't happen.

Rewrite API for kOS and RemoteTech support

I plan to rewrite the external interface that AGExt exposes to other mods to support kOS and RemoteTech. kOS support will come first as it will be easier to implement then RemoteTech support.

Add staging queues

One things that as been in the back on my mind is to offer staging queues somehow. (The same as the Spacebar.)

Both for flexibility of having multiple staging queues and to get around a couple issues with the Spacebar queue that annoy me. This is a long ways off though, I only have some vague ideas on how to implement and have everything else to deal with first.

Have I missed anything?

So, that is the state of the mod as it stands.

D.

Edited by Diazo

Regardless, reading back over the thread I'm starting to lose track of the status of the various issues and who is reporting what, so here are all the issues I am aware of and intend to work on. These notes are as of my latest dev post from this page.

Must say, I really appreciate that you listed those issues, it is certainly of help for players who want to contribute/test your mod :).

At the same time, I'm a bit puzzled: you have your mod on Github, certainly know better than me how to put issues on Github, and how useful that would be to keep track of things.

Must say, I really appreciate that you listed those issues, it is certainly of help for players who want to contribute/test your mod :).

At the same time, I'm a bit puzzled: you have your mod on Github, certainly know better than me how to put issues on Github, and how useful that would be to keep track of things.

I Agree, Putting issues on github and encouraging users to submit issues there has saved me so much time and effort tracking issues on the forum

Can people without Github accounts post there though?

I don't think they can which is why I posted this here so people can comment.

I may still transfer everything there to help me keep track of stuff, but the forum will remain the primary discussion location I expect.

D.

edit: I just put the Actions not Saving, Editor to Editor issue on GitHub to experiment, feel free to make a test comment if you wish (reports on the issue are even better if you have that.)

Edited by Diazo

I'll quote the questions to try to avoid confusion on what I'm answering :)

"How are you switching away from the editor?"

I exited using the standard Exit button in order to introduce the fewest possible variables while testing for this mod.

"Does KCT offer a different way to leave the editor, such as a Simulate button?"

As of the prerelease prior to 1.0 KCT uses the top green "Launch" button for both building and simulating functions.

Only when editing an existing ship does KCT use a different system for exiting the editor, in which case one would click save edit on a separate window. The normal save button at the top is still available so a workaround for this would simply be for the user to click the normal save if any changes were made to action groups. Been doing this one myself for edits :)

"Does KCT name vessels during simulation something different?"

No, the name assigned to the ship during build or simulation is the name which is entered into the stock name box. After construction has begun there is an option to rename ships already built or under construction which I was planing to test specifically to see if this causes any problems with the action groups.

"Actions not saving: Editor to Editor

As of testing last night and this morning using 1.16b and the in progress .dll you posted has fixed this problem when I have tried it. There was no issue with either the stock (1-10) or extended group assignments or names in the SPH.

EDIT: added comment posting to GitHub regarding testing on this issue

EDIT UPDATE: "Actions not saving: Editor (SPH) to Flight

This seems to be functioning properly now also. Aircraft spawned from the SPH have all groups and names assigned as they should be upon deployment to the runway.

As was suspected, changing the name using the rename function of KCT does lose the groups. Oddly, while they are lost when deployed they show up properly in the during editing under the new name.

Question: I noticed returning from an EVA caused all actions to be gone. Is this related to the dock/undock cycle problem that is known or is this a separate issue?

Edited by JeffreyCor
New test information

I'm still getting this bug, but further investigation has discovered new information.

Actions for the command pod are only save if they are in slots #1 to #10. In #11 and higher, the name is saved, non-command pod actions are saved, but not actions for the command pod. This is both when saving to a file and when exiting the VAB either to the Space Centre or to Launch.

Output_log.txt is here.

EDIT: I first noticed this under AGExt v1.14. Upgraded to v1.15a and it still exists.

It still exists under AGExt v1.16b. But it's not just a save issue.

I loaded that craft and recreated the actions groups 1 and 11 through 13, 1 being Mk1-2 Crew Report, 11 being Aviation Lights nav lights' toggles, 12 and 13 being for the RW for the Mk1-2 command pod, Activate RW and Deactivate RW respectively. All 4 show as green on the list of action groups. I go Launch and (because of KCT) select Simulate. Only groups 1 and 11 show on the AGExt list. I exit out and see this on the screen. Names for groups 12 and 13 show but no actions.

But here is the AGExtEditor.cfg stanza for the rocket while the game is still running. See that ACTION code for those actions 12 and 13 still appear, even though they appear to only have a name in the editor interface.

And here is the AGExtEditor.cfg stanza after the game exits. Note those ACTION codes are now gone.

Here is the output_log.txt for this run (also contains copies of the screenshots and the 2 .cfg stanzas).

@Jacke: Okay, this is technically a seperate error.

From the output_log.txt:

AGX actsToCompare.count != 1 0

means that AGX could not load the actions from file. Looking at the AGXEditor bits you copied the actions that fail have a BTSM in front of them while the actions on other parts work.

So whichever mod is named BTSM is handling its actions in a way I did not expect and I'll need to add the code to support it.

I see that you are using a stock part however so some mod is adding that to the Command Pod. Do you know which mod is doing this? I can probably find it in a quick search if needed, BTSM is pretty unique.

This is the same issue that caused the problems for Similie with KSO a few pages ago.

It is starting to sound like the save/load code itself is reasonably stable so I'll push version 1.17 with support for those parts tonight and a tweak so that AGX saves if you leave the editor in a non-standard way. I'm then going to let things sit for a few days to make sure everything is stable before I look at doing anything else to the mod.

D.

edit: I am trying to move to GitHub tracker at this point, added both of these parts to it.

Edited by Diazo

Version 1.17 Release

Download link Version pulled due to bug.

-Expand saving in editor, now when mods offer a non-standard way to leave the editor AGX will save correctly.

Note that this means there is no way to leave the editor without saving, although I believe an Alt-F4 quit will not.

-Add BTSM mod support.

-Add on-screen warning when an action loads incorrectly.

One of the biggest issues in tracking down errors is telling the difference between a code error in AGX and a part that has non-standard actions that I need to add support for.

Now, when a part with non-standard actions that AGX can not handle is loaded, an on screen message will show:

AGX Load Action ambiguous. Count: 0 PartModule: ModuleExampleError

When this happens please post your output_log.txt, and if you know it the mod that caused the error, and I will add support for that part. It only takes me about 5 minutes to do so, I'll be as prompt as I can in getting a version of AGX out that supports the part you are using.

If you lose actions or group names without getting the Action Ambigious error, that is probably a bug in my code. When that happens please make a full bug report so I can work on tracking down what went wrong.

At this point, I'm going to try and leave things alone for a few days to make sure everything is working as intended. I will hotfix any bugs that appear and add support for any parts people post, but otherwise I want to allow things to settle and make sure everything is working as intended.

D.

Edited by Diazo

I've had an interesting problem with the version BEFORE 1.17, where I had 2 actions set for the same propeller. One action was toggle folded state, and the other was toggle engine. Launched, it worked, then I wanted to make changes to the craft so I reverted to the hangar and the fold action was empty (it "forgot" what parts and actions were assigned to it) but the toggle engine worked, and it was applied to the exact same parts.

I've had an interesting problem with the version BEFORE 1.17, where I had 2 actions set for the same propeller. One action was toggle folded state, and the other was toggle engine. Launched, it worked, then I wanted to make changes to the craft so I reverted to the hangar and the fold action was empty (it "forgot" what parts and actions were assigned to it) but the toggle engine worked, and it was applied to the exact same parts.

That sounds like a part with non-standard action names.

The toggle engine action was standard so AGX could handle it while the toggle folded state was not and so could not be handled.

If you tried that on 1.17 I would expect the Action Ambigious message to come up. Can you remember which part it was?

D.

I just discovered this mod and this seems like the perfect addition to my set up so far. One question though, are the any plans of introducing raster prop monitor support? Having a touchscreen, kerbtrack, kerbquake, chatterer, an xbox controller with pinnacle game profiler, the level of immersion is getting pretty high. Being able to fully control my vessels, from IVA, would make my missions a whole lot more fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.