[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

Version 1.35

-Fix click-through bug.

-Fix data (notably group names) saving correctly when docking.

Download here.

New Docked ship functionality:

There are two new buttons on the main part select window: "Prev Docked" and "Next Docked".

Clicking these buttons cycles through docked "sub-vessels" that are currently docked together so you can control which vessel's settings are currently master. (All parts in the master vessel will highlight for a second after clicking one of these buttons.)

Note that this includes all data except actions assigned to action groups, those still save on a per-part basis.

The biggest advantage to this is that group names are saved and can be edited on either "sub-vessel" even while they are still docked. All other settings can also be edited this way.

So group names, group toggle monitoring and hold/tap settings, etc. are all affected by this. So if Group 1 on Vessel A is assigned to Hold mode and Group 1 on Vessel B is assigned to Tap mode, when they dock to form Vessel C, Group 1 will look to see which "sub-vessel" is assigned to the current master to determine if it is in Hold or Tap mode.

How actions are assigned to action groups is not affected by this change, those are still saved on a per part basis.

Note that due to KSP limitations, this feature only works on vessels that launch separately and then dock together. Multiple vessels assembled in the editor and launched as one vessel will be seen as one vessel by AGX, even after undocking and docking back together. (Nothing I can do about this, it's a KSP quirk.)

This will be the last release for KSP 1.0.5 as I believe AGX is now stable. (I will bugfix it if I missed something in testing however.)

The other issues brought up recently will be looked into after I've got all my mods converted to KSP 1.1.

Happy KSP'ing all.

D.

1 hour ago, Diazo said:

This will be the last release for KSP 1.0.5 as I believe AGX is now stable. (I will bugfix it if I missed something in testing however.)

The other issues brought up recently will be looked into after I've got all my mods converted to KSP 1.1.

Happy KSP'ing all.

Many thanks.  This has been a staple mod of mine and I love the automation it provides.  Nothing like thinking ahead and planning your mission better.

@Diazo any ideas on the 'AGX forgets assignment when action groups are assigned to tweakscaled parts' ?  It's not *breaking* since I can reassign them in flight (and they do work correctly), but often AGX will forget assignments between the SPH and the runway.  But seemingly only on tweakscaled parts like my 300% scale control surfaces that I assign 'flaps up' and 'flaps down' to... and seemingly any action groups coming after those, regardless of tweakscale usage.

@ss8913 Can I see a log file of when this happens?

I'm certainly willing to take a poke at it but with both mods (AGX and Tweakscale) looking at pretty big rewrites when KSP 1.1 drops it's not something I can spend a lot of time on.

D.

edit: Looking at the no control with the AGI core issue, can you check and make sure the AGI computer has MegaJoule resources on it? In my quick test the Electricity Resource didn't matter, as long as the AGI computer had more then zero MegaJoules on it the action groups worked as expected.

edit the 2nd: Doing quick tests with Tweakscale and some low count ships has no issues on my end. Going to need the output_log.txt (and anything else you can think of) before I can troubleshoot any farther.

Edited by Diazo

Hi, I've been getting NRE spam since the 1.35 update:

[LOG 21:05:41.412] AGX Flight Update Error 7h System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXFlight.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 21:05:41.453] AGX Flight Update Error 7h System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:05:41.492] AGX Flight Update Error 7h System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:05:41.541] AGX Flight Update Error 7h System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:05:41.581] AGX Flight Update Error 7h System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:05:41.638] AGX Flight Update Error 7h System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:05:41.678] AGX Flight Update Error 7h System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:05:41.721] AGX Flight Update Error 7h System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This happens in any scene with a vessel, and never ends. Re-installing 1.34 didn't stop the NREs, so I've had to uninstall for now. :( 1.34 worked fine except for the group names issue when docking, so I guess 1.35 changed the way the data was stored and now I can't go back?

4 hours ago, Diazo said:

Weird, I thought area 7h was stable so I didn't extensively log it.

Version 1.35 with more logging.

Can you grab this file (it is AGExt.dll only) and paste what the error you get please? I've added more logging that will tell me exactly what is going on.

Thanks,

D.

OK, I've reproduced it:

[LOG 02:39:24.878] AGX Flight Update Error 7h10 System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Possibly-relevant information: the NREs are produced by a save that has a kerbal on EVA as the focused vessel, in a scene on the Mun where I have a problem with KAS and I'm unable to undock my shuttle from the Mun base (the KAS pipe disappears but the base and the shuttle remain technically docked, although with separate physics). The NREs continue in any scene from that save, though. I don't know if the impossibility of undocking is related. It's a KAS bug because it remains even when AGE is uninstalled: probably a corrupt save. Still, it's an edge case.

Let me know if you need more info. :)

edit: actually, I'm getting the NREs whenever I focus on an EVA'd kerbal, even in older saves.

edit 2: OK, this is getting odd. I've noticed that an EVA'd kernal still retains the action groups of the vessel they just left, and can indeed use them. I don't think I ever saw this before. Stock actions like landing gear don't work in this circumstance. Screenshot:

Spoiler

Wk8vexK.jpg

Edited by Bluebottle

Version 1.35b

-Fix check for Kerbal on EVA that was causing log spam while on EVA.

Download here.

Alright, this fixes the log spam in version 1.35a from being on EVA with a Kerbal. I think it also fixes the KAS/KIS issue and I'm out of time for tonight so I'm pushing this release.

@Bluebottle Please let me know how things go with the KAS/KIS issue, however any further bugfixes will probably have to wait until Wednesday if they are bigger then a typo in a single line of code though.

D.

11 hours ago, Diazo said:

Alright, this fixes the log spam in version 1.35a from being on EVA with a Kerbal. I think it also fixes the KAS/KIS issue and I'm out of time for tonight so I'm pushing this release.

@Bluebottle Please let me know how things go with the KAS/KIS issue, however any further bugfixes will probably have to wait until Wednesday if they are bigger then a typo in a single line of code though.

D.

Yes, everything looks fine now with my test save. KAS pipes are functioning again too! :)

Many thanks for the quick fix.

@DiazoThis is more of a question than an actual feature request (since you so graciously granted my last one and I don't want to push my luck, and this might fall more in the realm of an entirely separate plugin for all I know), but I noticed sometimes I have the option to set action hotkeys for the stock resource pumps/locks (and I don't mean the crossfeed style ones, which AGExt does just fine). I'm unsure why that is, except maybe if it's an option somewhere in Unity the part designer has turned on or off. Or perhaps a "hideUIifUnavailable" type thing, which only enables when the pump is locked, but it doesn't seem so.

The fact that it's so sporadic is what makes me suspect I would need a separate "resource pump tweakable enabler" plugin before AGExt could act on it.

You're the "All the Actions" guy so so I figured you might have an idea.:)

Cheers.

@ss8913 Good to hear that issue was fixed as well. Tweakscale must be doing something to the partModules so that the checks I added for the Kerbal on EVA issue fixed the TweakScale issue also.

@Deimos Rast If you have my ModActions mod installed, it does add those actions. It adds Crossfeed On/Off/Toggle actions to all parts and ResourceLock On/Off/Toggle to all parts that contain resources which does sound like what you are seeing. Electricity is special and any parts that store it should also get an ElectricityLock On/Off/Actions as well. Not sure what you mean by "resource pumps" though.

If the actual behavior is different, do you have some specific part examples? I would be up for taking a look.

However, the 1.1 pre-release has hit so I'm looking to start converting my mods over. It's been almost 2 weeks since the last release and there have been no further bug reports so I'm going to call version 1.35b stable and the last version for KSP 1.0.5

D.

5 hours ago, Diazo said:

If you have my ModActions mod installed, it does add those actions. It adds Crossfeed On/Off/Toggle actions to all parts and ResourceLock On/Off/Toggle to all parts that contain resources which does sound like what you are seeing. Electricity is special and any parts that store it should also get an ElectricityLock On/Off/Actions as well. Not sure what you mean by "resource pumps" though.

If the actual behavior is different, do you have some specific part examples? I would be up for taking a look.

However, the 1.1 pre-release has hit so I'm looking to start converting my mods over. It's been almost 2 weeks since the last release and there have been no further bug reports so I'm going to call version 1.35b stable and the last version for KSP 1.0.5

D.

Actually there is big a difference between say Crossfeed/Resource Lock and Monopropellant PUMP. The pump is the little green triangle icon that turns into a red circle with a slash through it when you click it next to the resource bar in the right click menu on a part. Crossfeed is the resource transfer through the "skin" of the item, and governs transfer between items. Toggling the pump lock shuts down the resource usage entirely (will cause a probe to go dead for example), but switching off cross feed will not (unless the part is getting its resource through an intermediary). Currently only cross feed and similar resource transfer mechanics are usually hotkeyable.

Hope that clarifies things.

@Diazo I noticed something weird about how AGX interacts with RemoteTech.  KSPIE has an AGI Core module which is a probe core but it's.. artificial intelligence.  Without AGX, this part acts as though the vessel is locally crewed.  AGX however still sees it as a probe core, and using action groups is subject to light-speed delay where it should not be since the upper-left indicator under the clock says "Local Control".  Stock action groups work instantly as they should, AGX action groups do not.

@ss8913 With the in-game communication network thing now, RemoteTech is looking at a major overhaul for KSP 1.1 and I have to wait for that to come out before I can make AGX work with RT in KSP 1.1

I'll add it to the list to confirm as working when I do, but until then I'll have to ask you to use the RemoteTEch override option on KSP 1.0.5

D.

2 minutes ago, Diazo said:

@ss8913 With the in-game communication network thing now, RemoteTech is looking at a major overhaul for KSP 1.1 and I have to wait for that to come out before I can make AGX work with RT in KSP 1.1

I'll add it to the list to confirm as working when I do, but until then I'll have to ask you to use the RemoteTEch override option on KSP 1.0.5

D.

I didn't realize there was such a thing; where is this option?

Under the right-click menu on the AGX button in flight is where it is.

When that is enabled AGX ignores RT and just activates the action group immediately, bypassing both signal delay and the control source check.

Note it doesn't bypass the stock "is vessel controllable" check, just RT's.

D.

@Diazo I know you're probably busy fighting 1.1 krakens and what not, but I know you had some issues recently with EVA kerbals. Not sure if this is related, but when you EVA a kerbal and then reenter the vessel, it seems to trigger the new docking mechanism you implemented, requiring you to go into the AGExt options and hit the next vessel button once, then it works and the vessel hotkeys return. Maybe it's working as intended (I've heard eva kerbals exists a sort of quasi-vessel, so this might be necessary for all I know), in which case, feel free to ignore. It's just a tad awkward is all.

Case in point: I did a last minute eva to grab a report before the reentry fire and flame effects started, but when I reentered the capsule, I lost access temporarily to all my preset decoupling and braking hotkeys. By the time I realized what had happened and fixed it, it was too late, and I ended up just switching to Part Commander and mashing all my decoupler buttons frantically. The reentry was rubbish to start with (hence the elaborate setup I had planned), I survived, but my ship kind fell apart:( (to be fair they usually do anyway). Not sure how to fill out the insurance form though...

The point of my story is when it's just a normal EVA space walk, it's not that big of a deal, but in my situation, it probably should have cost me a kerbal. Totally not trying to make you feel guilty or anything.:sticktongue:

Like I said, I imagine you have your hands full with 1.1 business. Just some food for thought.

And if you get an insurance claim in the mail, maybe you'll understand the context:lol:

Cheers.

Hello there,

When starting a flight, even without setting any action group, I get big lag issues with this constant message making my game freeze a little so it's noticeable and it says :

[...]

[ERR 14:38:48.306] Cannot find module 'ModuleAGX' (451858150)

[LOG 14:38:48.307] AGX LoadGroupNamesFail 3 System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXFlight.LoadGroupNames () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 14:38:48.309] AGX Flight Update Error 7i System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXFlight.LoadVesselDataFromPM (ActionGroupsExtended.ModuleAGX rootAGX) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[ERR 14:38:48.334] Cannot find module 'ModuleAGX' (451858150)

[LOG 14:38:48.335] AGX LoadGroupNamesFail 3 System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXFlight.LoadGroupNames () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 14:38:48.336] AGX Flight Update Error 7i System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXFlight.LoadVesselDataFromPM (ActionGroupsExtended.ModuleAGX rootAGX) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[ERR 14:38:48.362] Cannot find module 'ModuleAGX' (451858150)

[...]

Yesterday I removed your plug-in, even took it to duplicate my savegame and remove all references to AGX in my save file and trying to install it again. It worked fine defining my groups on my station but as soon as I tried to launch a new ship, I get this until I'm docked onto the station.

It could be related to a few parts, SSTU maybe or OKS or NFT ? Don't know but it's really frustrating.

I like your mod so much but in the current state I just can't use it as it make the game unplayable.

This is on 1.0.5 version x32 (not x64, be sure) and freshly installed with latest 1.0.5 version (I triple checked).

Kind regards.

@Deimos Rast That isn't working as intended, it sounds like instead of a Kerbal reboarding a vessel being detected as a vessel switch, it is being detected as a vessel dock which is not intended at all.

@FrancoisH That is odd behavior, could I get the .craft file of the vessel you are trying to launch? Also, you do have ModuleManager installed as well?

D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.