[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

Version 2.1b

Github download here.

-Fix Solar Panels so they work now.

-Change "Toggle:Yes" to "StateVis:Yes" on the main window to make it clearer what that button does. StateVis is short for State Visibility, if set to yes the action group will display in green text if it is activated/extended/etc. and in red text if it is deactivated/retracted/etc. If set to no, the action group just displays as gray text all the time.

So, apparently Solar Panels were just broken. Squad changed them to use the new ModuleDeployablePart and I missed this as I use the "Kerbal 2" for testing and it doesn't have Solar Panels on it. Everyone who's been having issues with panels should find they work again as expected.

@Chachi123 Sorry I missed your video when you posted it, I missed it at the time due to real life issues. My comments on it are as follows:

-Broken solar panels. This one was all me, should be fixed now.

-Keyboard buttons not working. This kept happening shortly after you had typed in the group description and so the Description text box still had focus and was intercepting the keystrokes. You can see the cursor flashing in that text box in the youtube video indicating this.

-One-off actions. This is not intended, those are supposed to be the same as the default actions and trigger every time you click them or press the associated key. I can't access the output_log.txt you've posted as I don't have access to the google docs where you posted it, but it worked on my machine tonight after fixing the solar panels issue and I believe it was a cascade error where fixing the solar panels should fix the groups so they will activate multiple times.

-Symmetry button. What this does is control your selection mode. If set to Yes when you click a part, any parts placed in symmetry are automatically selected as well. If set to No, only the clicked part is selected. This is an advantage over stock KSP where stock limits you to have the same actions set across all parts in symmetry, AGX allows you to set actions on a per-part basis at all times.

-Toggle button. Based on Nittany Tiger's comment of your video I've renamed this to StateVis to clarify that this button controls whether that group displays the state of its actions, whether they are on/off, activated/deactivated, etc.

-Overall, based on your comments at the start, this mod should do exactly what you were looking for. Unfortunately it was basically 100% broken the way you tried to use it in the video due to the Solar Panels bugging out and breaking things.

@Nittany Tiger Your issue about actions in the same slot on different sub-ships activating when docked is working as intended. When you activate a group, all actions on the current vessel by KSP's definition activate. What the sub-ships allow you to do is edit the AGX stuff such as group name on two different ships while they are docked so you can fiddle with the settings on your lander while it is still docked to its mothership while in transit.

@Deimos Rast This release does not deal with the KerbalEVA issue or the CommNet bypass issue as I rushed it out due to the solar panels being broken. Will look into those tomorrow.

Happy KSPing all.

D.

Edited by Diazo

@Nittany Tiger There is no way to seperate the actions within a group. One hard limitation imposed by how action groups are implemented in stock is that an action group must activate in it's entirety on a vessel.

In your case, I added a feature called KeySets that is supposed to take care of that. Unfortunately the fact I've never been able to get a good user manual put together means you've probably not aware of them. :blush:

KeySets are assignable to a sub-ship and change depending on which is in control and how they would work in your situation is as follows:

KeySet1: Keys 1 through 10 activate groups 1 through 10. (Default, the keyset all your ships are currently using.)

KeySet2: Keys 1 through 10 activate groups 11 though 20. (You would have to set this up.)

Then assign the actions you want to activate in group 3 on the first ship to group 3 and group 13 on the second ship. Then assign KeySet1 to the first ship and KeySet2 to the second ship.

Now, when you press the 3 key it activates either group 3 or 13 depending on which sub-ship has control and is automatic once you get the KeySets setup on the appropriate sub-ships.

If you want to experiment the KeySets are accessed by the button in the bottom right of the main window, it displays "KeySet1" by default as the first keyset is that.

D.

3 hours ago, Diazo said:

Then assign the actions you want to activate in group 3 on the first ship to group 3 and group 13 on the second ship. Then assign KeySet1 to the first ship and KeySet2 to the second ship.

Thanks, this helps me, too.  I understood everything except the assignment of a KeySet.  I'm working from my memory of the AGEx UI so how do I assign a KeySet to a vessel?

21 hours ago, Diazo said:

Version 2.1b

Github download here.

-Fix Solar Panels so they work now.

-Change "Toggle:Yes" to "StateVis:Yes" on the main window to make it clearer what that button does. StateVis is short for State Visibility, if set to yes the action group will display in green text if it is activated/extended/etc. and in red text if it is deactivated/retracted/etc. If set to no, the action group just displays as gray text all the time.

So, apparently Solar Panels were just broken. Squad changed them to use the new ModuleDeployablePart and I missed this as I use the "Kerbal 2" for testing and it doesn't have Solar Panels on it. Everyone who's been having issues with panels should find they work again as expected.

Aha!

I could have sworn it was just me with the solar panels. Nice work.

Can't say I like "StateVis" as it seems a bit awkward, but whatever, I'll live. Granted, Toggle doesn't really describe it either, but it's at least one word. Not going to lose sleep over it.:)

Cheers.

By the way, was the log in anyway useful? If you haven't had a chance to look at it, that's fine too.

Okay, I've figured out what is going on with CommNet but I'm not sure what Squad was intending by it.

When in limited control you can not rotate the vessel (WASD keys) or control the throttle with Shift or Ctrl.

However you can activate action groups and set the throttle to max with Z or cut engines with X.

I didn't test other functions but that is enough to confuse me.

As you can activate action groups while in limited control  in stock, I've tweaked AGX so that it can also activate action groups while in limited control for the next release. (The current release AGX will not activate groups.) This is to keep consistent with AGX's goal of it's action groups being the same as the stock action groups. Should it be different?

@Deimos Rast I'm not happy with "StateVis" either, but I have very limited room and struggled to even come up with that. I'll take suggestions but have thought of nothing better myself.

Still have not looked at the Kerbal EVA issue, that will happen tomorrow night.

@Brigadier To assign a KeySet, it's the bottom right button in the main window, it probably says KeySet1 if you have not messed around with it before. Once a vessel is assigned a different keyset, assign keys as normal, all vessels that use that same keyset will now use those keys to activate action groups. You can also rename the 5 available KeySets if you wish.

That's all for tonight, happy KSPing all.

D.

Edited by Diazo

37 minutes ago, Diazo said:

Okay, I've figured out what is going on with CommNet but I'm not sure what Squad was intending by it.

When in limited control you can not rotate the vessel (WASD keys) or control the throttle with Shift or Ctrl.

However you can activate action groups and set the throttle to max with Z or cut engines with X.

I didn't test other functions but that is enough to confuse me.

As you can activate action groups while in limited control  in stock, I've tweaked AGX so that it can also activate action groups while in limited control for the next release. (The current release AGX will not activate groups.) This is to keep consistent with AGX's goal of it's action groups being the same as the stock action groups. Should it be different?

I think that's a fair goal (parity with stock), and probably the safest route (as far as not getting grief from players). It would seem like a "bypass CommNet" isn't necessary after all.

12 hours ago, Diazo said:

@Deimos Rast I'm not happy with "StateVis" either, but I have very limited room and struggled to even come up with that. I'll take suggestions but have thought of nothing better myself.

What about "ShowAs:Toggle" and "ShowAs:Plain" or something similar?

@Diazo I was wondering what groups and Key Sets did anyway.

Either way, just putting action groups in slots that won't be occupied by actions in the other vessel works fine.

4093F828D2BC066C1A36A575373B08CF2EB86AA5 (1280×720)  If you notice the AGX panel how the label jumps from 14 to 27, that's what I did to get around the game combining action groups.  It's actually a good thing I'm using your mod then because in the stock action group setup, I would have had to deal with groups triggering things I didn't want triggered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there.

I love AGX so much but i have a little issue with SSTU parts, in fact with the fairings bases.

When I put one, I get a flood in log (see below) with this message. It makes my game lag a lot... If I remove this part, it's working nicely.

LOG 17:27:09.317] AGX Flight Update Error 7i System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXFlight.LoadVesselDataFromPM (ActionGroupsExtended.ModuleAGX rootAGX) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ActionGroupsExtended.AGXFlight.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Is it AGX related or related to the SSTU parts in any way? 

Thanks.

//// UPDATE ////

It seems it not related either to SSTU nor AGX but to Procedural Fairings which is altering behavior of SSTU Parts...

Edited by FrancoisH

@FrancoisH It looks like something is happening that is causing the SSTU parts to lose the PartModule that AGX uses to store data so when it tries to load it can't find the partModule and throws the error.

Even if this specific case is caused by SSTU/Procedural Fairings, this is still something I need to get AGX to handle more gracefully so I will take a look at it.

D.

• 3 weeks later...

I searched for a way to let me see my actiongroup bindings and wow, i found this. One question i have (answer maybe hidden in all that text before), is it possible to "import"/use the already given assignments to actiongroups in vanilla to the mods one?

I tried the mod, but it doesn't "know" about already assigned actiongroups on a vessel inflight. I could not reassign them again with the mod, because i have stacked parts (hell to click 10 parts sharing 1 space :wink: ).

@AlfFromKerbin I'm not 100% clear on what you are talking about. If you are talking about assigning actions to actiongroups, those are supposed to be detected and automatically assigned to the correct action group.

If you mean the keybindings (so which key on the keyboard activates a group), no it doesn't do that. By default keys 1 through 10 activate groups 1 through 10 the same as stock, otherwise you can rebinding them and use KeySets to have the same key activate different groups on different vessels.

@Kotagi Having not tested it, I would expect that KRPC will not work with this mod currently. It would be easy enough to add, but it would require changes on KRPC's side of things as well so it's not totally straightforward. Note that action groups 1 through 10 should still work (when you assign an action to those groups, this mod assigns the action to the stock action group system as well), but only those 10 will.

D.

Edited by Diazo

16 minutes ago, Diazo said:

@Kotagi Having not tested it, I would expect that KRPC will not work with this mod currently. It would be easy enough to add, but it would require changes on KRPC's side of things as well so it's not totally straightforward. Note that action groups 1 through 10 should still work (when you assign an action to those groups, this mod assigns the action to the stock action group system as well), but only those 10 will.

It does not currently after testing. Krpc throws an exception after 9. I think I found the code that I believe needs to be changed(changing the exception from 9 to 250), but I have very little experience in c#. I just started learning python. I posted on krpc's thread as well so hopefully we can get that working :D Thanks for the answer. 

Edited by Kotagi

44 minutes ago, Diazo said:

Note that action groups 1 through 10 should still work (when you assign an action to those groups, this mod assigns the action to the stock action group system as well), but only those 10 will.

I assume this means that this is now compatible with DefaultActionGroups as you mentioned over there a week or so ago.

Nice job. Gonna try it out now.

@Johnny2000 No, AGX will still not recognize parts that already exist on parts when first placed in editor.

My comment about groups 1-10 working was that KRPC can still activate stock groups 1-10 and that AGX is supposed to recognize all actions assigned through the action group editor (either stock or AGX) and set them in the stock system for KRPC to activate.

@AlfFromKerbin Can you check that the key is assigned in the main window? It is the bottom-right button, it should say "Alpha1" by default for action group 1. Note that the keys across the top of the letters are Alpha1 through 10 and the numpad is Keypad1 through 10, they are two separate keybinds. if neither of those things explain what is going on I will need a copy of your output_log.txt file to see if any errors are occurring.

D.

@AlfFromKerbin That error implies that the partModule is not attaching to the parts correctly.

Can you check that you have ModuleManager installed? If you do could I ask you to upload the entire output_log.txt file so I can view it? The actual error is somewhere in the loading process and I'm going to have to parse it out.

The .craft file would also be helpful if possible.

D.

20 hours ago, Diazo said:

Can you check that you have ModuleManager installed?

Well, that was it. Now i can access my defined actions. Now i have to find out how to view them :wink:

Edit: Think i got it now. Was confused because actions defined without mod, weren't recognized by the mod inflight (no green buttons and "no actions available" in list).

Edit2: Autohide won't work for me, no matter at what screen edge i move the window to.

Edit3: I removed AGX, because it's producing delays of ~1sec placing or taking parts in SPH (didn't check VAB). Too bad ;.;

Edited by AlfFromKerbin

Here's a preview release of the next update.

Note it's the .dll file only, overwrite the existing AGExt.dll file in your GameData\Diazo\AGext directory to install it.

Download the .dll file here.

This version only fixes 2 of the 3 issues I want to look at before the next release.

@santiagokof This should fix the error with the SmartParts radio.

@Deimos Rast I never did find the source of the Kerbal reboarding issue, so I just tried to handle it a different way. See if this version is any better please.

@Johnny2000 This file does not fix your issue with DefaultActionGroups, that's the issue I still need to look at before next release.

That's it for tonight,

D.

One more!

Is there any way to change the options of a part so that it is not "toggle part" but "activate" and "deactivate"? For example landing gear. Thus it is possible to create an action group that is specifically to extend landing gear and retract landing gear and not to generate errors when using an action group for the purpose of preparing for the landing and by the "toggle" do not take extend, but to retract ?

@santiagokof This mod does not have the ability to add actions to parts, it is an alternate action group manager that increases the number of action groups available.

Having said that, my other mod, ModActions, (found here), is specifically designed to add new actions to parts such as what you are asking for.

I am actually surprised that those actions don't exist already, but I'll look at adding them for the next ModActions release.

D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.