[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

@Runescope: See the issue I tried to fix with 1.4b regarding partModules having the same name in code. All four of those modes all use a piece of code called 'KethaneConverter', just configured to output the different resource types. Version 1.4a and earlier only see the first instance of 'KethaneConverter', in this case the Liquid Fuel, and assigns all the actions to that when you load into a new scene. Version 1.4b does fix this, but I apparently introduced some other bugs in that version that make it unplayable. I'm hoping to get 1.4c that is stable out tomorrow night that should fix this for you.

@Eleven: I just tested and I am unable to replicate your issues. Quicksave, returning to the spacecenter (from both editor and flight), and switching vessels all work. Note that this is on a stock install with just toolbar and modulemanger. (Testing both modulemanager 1.5.6 and 2.1.) Can I get a list of which other mods you are running please? I'm suspecting there's a conflict somewhere.

D.

Edited by Diazo

@Eleven: I just tested and I am unable to replicate your issues. Quicksave, returning to the spacecenter (from both editor and flight), and switching vessels all work. Note that this is on a stock install with just toolbar and modulemanger. Can I get a list of which other mods you are running please? I'm suspecting there's a conflict somewhere.

D.

I use KW, KAS, Quantum Struts, Real Chutes, 6S storage compartments, MP Nazari Toolbox (For KAS) and Universal Docking Ports. Parts from B9, AEIS, Procedural Fairings and NP (but not all). I also use the science parts from Tarsier Space Tech and the capsule from TaurusHCV.

Plugins are VesselView, Simple Parts Oranizer, Precise Node, Part Wizard, Docking Port Alignment, NavBall Texture Replacement, MechJeb, ShowNavBallInMap, HyperEdit, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Raster Prop Monitor, FloorIt, Enviromental Visual Enhancements, Enhanced NavBall, Kerbal Engineer, Toolbar and your plugin. Also have the dependencies for RPM and EVE.

Wow...that's a lot, didn't realize I had that much, although most are plugins, not parts. I'll copy my game over and try 1.4b and again and post the log from it.

Here is the logfile. I just checked real quick and was able to revert to VAB and relaunch with no issues, but after picking a vessel in space and then trying to switch to another, I was unable to do so, and unable to go back to the Space Center. Had to kill the process again. Hope this helps!

Edited by Eleven
Adding DL link for logfile

Alright, I saw your post as I was logging off for the night.

Have you switching to "Jool Science Lander Gamma" with AGX 1.4b before this error happened? (In the log file.)

I suspect it is the 'upgrade' code from old versions of AGX screwing up for the new data structure in 1.4b.

However, out of time tonight, will look at first thing after work tomorrow.

D.

Alright, I saw your post as I was logging off for the night.

Have you switching to "Jool Science Lander Gamma" with AGX 1.4b before this error happened? (In the log file.)

I suspect it is the 'upgrade' code from old versions of AGX screwing up for the new data structure in 1.4b.

However, out of time tonight, will look at first thing after work tomorrow.

D.

I can do everything normally with1.4a, switch between vessels in the map mode, go back to Space Center and switch that way...as well as the launch from VAB, revert and launch again bug...Although like I said when I tried that for reference tonight with 1.4b to get you a log file, that bug did not happen, just the 'switch vessel' one. I don't know enough about the log file or structure to decipher whats what and see where the issue is myself :(

Okay.

Trying to polish up the bugs in version 1.4b revealed some issues with my save/load routine I had to go back and fix.

I got things mostly fixed up last night and I just have one bug left to squash before I can release version 1.5 when I get home from work tonight.

On the brightside, these extra issues I found explain a lot of the randomness of the errors people have been reporting and Version 1.5 should be both more stable and the error handling should work better so when something goes wrong it does not crash KSP like it has been doing.

D.

And Version 1.5 is out.

The big change is the mod now correctly supports multiple, similar actions. Both when a part has multiple copies of the same part module (Kethane Converter) and copies of the same action (View Data on Pressure Sensor and a Grav Sensor).

The other big thing was I changed how the backend code runs to fix several weaknesses that were revealed in my save/load code. This should result in significantly fewer errors.

To further streamline things, I also simplified my error handling. Now, instead of trying to handle errors (and breaking anyway on the bad errors), if an error is encountered it simply stops loading and goes to the next part. If this happens, you will notice actions vanish from your configured actions list and there should be a "AGX Fail...." message in the error log.

However, to support the multiple actions with the same name on a part, I had to change the data storage structure in the data file. Because of this downgrading to a previous version of AGX will not work, but I've made sure I can be around all weekend to fix issues as soon as they are reported.

D.

Edited by Diazo

Great mod, but while using it I noticed that it isn't saving the titles for each action group when I exit and re-load the game. While I am in flight the action group names are displayed, but when I reload the game the action group names are gone, though the groups seem to be unmodified. I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I couldn't find any better place to comment. Either way though, this is an excellent mod and I am glad to have added it to my game.

@DMFirmy: Thank you for the report, this is the place to let me know about things like that.

So it's Design Ship (Editor) -> Fly Ship -> Exit Game -> Fly Ship (via Tracking Station)

that the names are gone?

Also, you are exiting the game via the menu? If you exit via Alt-F4 (or a crash), that does not save so any recent changes made since the last save will be lost and are there any "AGX Fail..." messages in the log? (Alt-F2)

D.

edit: @DMFirmy: Okay, in 10 minutes of testing I can not replicate your report. Can you please post a more detailed step-by-step on how you are getting this error please?

Edited by Diazo

Just tried 1.5, and doing all the stuff I normally do, there were no issues. I tried everything that gave me issues previously, and even did some in-flight editing and I did not come across anything out of the ordinary.

Usually I only post when there's problems, but after those issues with 1.4b I figured you would want to know when things work right as well :)

Version 1.6 out.

To manually update AGExt.cfg file:

Open the existing AGExt.cfg file.

At the bottom add the following line:

EditShow = 1

It should be formatted the same as the FtShow = 1 line directly above it.

Release notes:

And version 1.6 is out. This is fully integrated with KSP's default action groups. Importing an existing vessel? It's action will be assigned to the correct action groups.

Assigning action groups via AGX? Actions assigned to groups 1 through 10 will be assigned in default KSP so if you uninstall AGX, or transfer the .craft file to another computer, those actions will still be assigned.

Need more screen space? Now when AGX is showing, the default KSP action group editor is hidden so you have more screen space to work with.

Working with a small vessel and want to use KSP's default editor? Hide AGX via the toolbar and it will reappear.

Due to the issues with previous versions, I will note that it is safe to downgrade back to Version 1.5 without losing any assigned actions.

Also a big thanks to xEvilReeperx for the help on working out the details with KSP's default action editor for this.

Here's the Action Group Edition window with KSP's default editor replaced with the AGX windows.

HideActionGroupEditor.jpg

Edited by Diazo

it seems there is no way to edit the gear, lights, breaks, or abort built in options now...

edit: just saw the part about using the toolbar to hide AGE in exiting to get the original to reappear. That should allow the functions mentioned to be edited. oops :)

Edited by JeffreyCor

No worries, I need to do a total revamp of the first post, maybe do an off-site tutorial with pages somehow.

(Imgur album?, youtube maybe?)

The mod is nearing feature complete, the two big things left are getting parts to highlight so you can see which action you are actually going to effect, and staging queues.

Once I get those two things in I will look at doing an official tutorial that covers everything this mod can do.

I also have some back end clean up to do (the biggest being removing the ModuleManger dependency), but those won't be visible to the player.

I'm also open to a UI revamp if people have suggestions on that, but nothing guaranteed on that.

D.

Time to consider final touches with this mod, then (about features, those are really awesome :)).

Having played plenty with it, I would like some options to better configure its GUI. I tend to keep its window with the AG list open in flight, but situations change with each vessel so some configurability options could be of help.

1. The anchor point for the AG list window seems to be its top-left corner. Fine if the list goes to the top of the screen, not so if to the bottom (either tht list is too long and goes outside, or too short and stays too much in the middle). ALready have lots of tools that are better in the top, so need to place AGX in the bottom, would be perfect if the anchor point was the bottom-left corner. Maybe make that an option?

2. Skin and Font used, would be nice if changeable.

3. Size of the list windows: would be nice if could be enlarged, both vertical (so o choose how many AG are shown, rest to be scrolled) and horizontal (so to allow more or less of strings to be displayed with AG names)

4. Would be real nice if a color could be assigned to each AG, and the string of that AG name shown in that color. Would help distinguish different sets of AGs (e.g. a color for basic controls, another for scientific experiments, a third for engines management...)

Hmmm.

Does anyone know of a GUI tutorial for Unity/KSP? I did not want to be learning how to program a GUI at the same time as I was programming the mod so I went with the built in default GUI.

That makes it easy to setup a GUI, but makes it hard to change the GUI as you have to use the defaults presented.

I have not seriously investigated the built-in GUI, maybe it is more flexible once I dig into it, but I'm not sure all those requests are possible. I do like them though, especially the one to move the anchor point to the bottom left corner, I might try to get that one in for next version.

The colors one is problematic though, what about being able to assign actions to groups (as in a group of actiongroups, not a game 'action group'), so you could show/hide groups? That sounds like it would do what you are after also. As long as I make sure an action can be in multiple groups, you could have a "Launch", "Flight" and "Landing" group that showed the actions needed for that stage of the flight.

D.

Edited by Diazo

Sure I also like the option of grouping AGs together, even conceived that idea but didn't tell as I believe it to require a lot more work.

I don't know enough of Unity to help. I see other mods can do something similar to what I suggested, so believe those are possible. If needed, I may try to find what other modders did in sourcecode to implement similar features (though, you are probably better than me reading code, once you know where to look).

Version 1.6 out.

To manually update AGExt.cfg file:

Open the existing AGExt.cfg file.

At the bottom add the following line:

EditShow = 1

It should be formatted the same as the FtShow = 1 line directly above it.

Release notes:

And version 1.6 is out. This is fully integrated with KSP's default action groups. Importing an existing vessel? It's action will be assigned to the correct action groups.

Assigning action groups via AGX? Actions assigned to groups 1 through 10 will be assigned in default KSP so if you uninstall AGX, or transfer the .craft file to another computer, those actions will still be assigned.

Need more screen space? Now when AGX is showing, the default KSP action group editor is hidden so you have more screen space to work with.

Working with a small vessel and want to use KSP's default editor? Hide AGX via the toolbar and it will reappear.

Due to the issues with previous versions, I will note that it is safe to downgrade back to Version 1.5 without losing any assigned actions.

Also a big thanks to xEvilReeperx for the help on working out the details with KSP's default action editor for this.

Here's the Action Group Edition window with KSP's default editor replaced with the AGX windows.

http://members.shaw.ca/diazo/HideActionGroupEditor.jpg

hm, when I went to manually edit my file the last line read {FltShow = 0} not 1 is that important?

@vardicd: No it's not a big deal.

FltShow (and EditShow) control the visibility of AGX in those scenes. 1 is show and 0 is hide so the last time you left the flight scene you had AGX hidden is all that means.

@Diomedea: Any mods off the top of your head that you would suggest I look at? I think I know what you are getting at, but a picture is worth a thousand words and all that.

D.

@Diomedea: Any mods off the top of your head that you would suggest I look at? I think I know what you are getting at, but a picture is worth a thousand words and all that.

About the colored text, would suggest to check VOID from Toadicus, it does allow both to have colored text and to change that color based on user interaction. Protractor as well has colored text. Another one is ScienceLibrary, text changes color based on situation.

ScienceLibrary also has resizable window. Other mods do, but are much more complex, so I would look at that first.

VOID includes the ability to change skins. Other mods do, more or less with similar effect.

Can't really say about changing the anchor-point. I reckon Toolbar (by blizzy78) has some mechanic that allow it for toolbars touching an edge, a solution I would consider adequate also with AGX.

Found a couple problems with 1.6 editing while in flight:

Having 2 of the same items cased the action group to not respond correctly. In this case, 2 cargo door items. When assigned separately they open and close per the group button as expected. But when both are assigned the door on only one of the two jumps then returns to the original opposition as if it is receiving both commands in rapid succession to the same part.

Also, when assigning during editing only one part action is assigned no mater how many parts are selected. Example, selecting 2 parts in semitry, both show as being selected, select an action only one is added to the action group. The same result with multiple parts of the same type being selected manually.

@diomedea: Alright, I'll take a look at those and see if there's anything usable for me to port over.

@JeffreyCor: Using stock (specifically the 1x6 solar panels), both issues you report work correctly for me. I suspect it has something to do with the specific mod parts you are using, can you give me the name and/or the part pack that is acting up so I can test the same parts you are please?

Have the problem with selecting items for an action group with every part not just the listed examples and in both flight and VAB. All show as selected, but when an action it assigned only one is assigned.

Cargo bays are part of Cargo Transportation Solutions http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77505 these worked perfectly with previous version and only started having a problem with 1.6.

In all cases if assignments are made by selecting first part, selecting action, removing part, selecting second part and so on the end result works perfectly.

@JeffreyCor: While I could not replicate your issue, I did find a weakness in my part select code I've fixed in this version that I think will fix your issues. Download Note this is only the .dll file, drop it into the GameData\Diazo\AGExt folder.

I'm hoping this will fix your issue. I'm downloading the Cargo bay to test that specifically as I post.

D.

Edited by Diazo

I will try it ASAP and get back to you with the results. :)

Update: Seems to have the same problem assigning parts to a group. 4 selected but only 1 action assigned. Took screenshots to illustrate. I'm almost positive it's related to the other problem and is just a manifestation of the results of odd assignments.

Parts selected: https://www.dropbox.com/s/28tcsgazj6jda76/screenshot7.png

Action assigned: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4p315admf6gohf/screenshot8.png

Edited by JeffreyCor

Odd.

Can you open the logging console (Alt-F2) and tell me if there are any "AGX Fail..." messages please?

D.

edit: I see you have Procedural Fairings in the screenshot, just booted up KSP and tried that mod and it worked as expected. (Although I have a different version with only 2 panels, not 4, per fairing base.)

edit the second: Okay, I'm really puzzled now. Here's a version with some logging enabled. Please go into Flight mode and select multiple parts and try adding an action. This will log a bunch of "AGX..." messages to the log. Please grab the ksp.log and either send me the entire file or copy-paste the last part of the log so I can see what is happening please.

Edited by Diazo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.