Community interest in Gas planet 2

How interested are you in seeing GP2 added to stock KSP  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How interested are you in seeing GP2 added to stock KSP

• I am very interested in the addition of GP2 (or another gas giant) to the stock game
    • I am somewhat interested in the addition of GP2 (or another gas giant) to the stock game
    • I don't have strong feelings about adding GP2 to the stock game
    • I'm not interested in seeing GP2 in stock, but I want to see other planets added (share below)
    • I don't think any other planets should be added to stock KSP

I agree that with KSP 64 bits, the Outer Planets Mod is first on my list (so was Kethane, but it's kinda made stock, more or less, and KAS).

Hopefully, the expert behind RSS can take these extra additions turn them into Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto (Plus moons). Then RSS will be next on my list as well with these maximum, 8megs textures for everything !

Doesn't change the fact that more stock (cannon) planets would be nice. And saying no adding them because most ppl don't go beyond Minmus and Mun would be like saying you're not putting flights to Australia and Japan because the usual person never goes further than Las Vegas, California or Florida.

But it's their game, they do what they want.

I think it would be cool. I haven't even been to all the celestial bodies in KSP yet and I think it would be cool. (I'm looking at you, eeloo)

woah, I just now realized I've almost been to every body....well, I only flew by moho, but meh, i was there. :P

In my Opinion another planet shouldn't be implemented just yet. Career mode and other major additions to the game should be a top Priority for squad. But yes it would be nice to have another planet in the Kerbol System for more exploration finding new eastereggs and Etc.

I'd rather have a 1,000,000x warp ability. Just getting to jool takes minutes of Earth time....

Before any new planets get added to the game, I would like to see terrain scatter and the atmosphere visually improved (clouds). As far as making planets exciting, unless they have and active core or an atmosphere, most planets aren't going to be that exciting; it's what you do on those planets that generally make them exciting. Easter eggs bore me so adding more of those would be a waste of time to me.

My issue with discovering planets is that we've known about the other planets in our system far before we've sent anyone to space. If there is a discovery mechanic, it should be for revealing details about the know planets, track asteroids as it is now, only finding the smallest/farthest dwarf planets, and discovering exoplanets.

As far as adding more planets go I'm fine with another gas, but a ring planet is too expected. There doesn't need to be an analogue for everything in our solar system. I'd like to see a ringed giant, just save it for another solar system, assuming they add a few more. I'd like to see something like a super-jupiter or a mini-neptune. That'd be more exciting to see something that's "uncommon" to us because it's not in our solar system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-Neptune

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Jupiter

Also, I want a planet with a bunch of buttes and hoodoos because they're cool, but that's not what this thread's about.

Edited by ImJake

I agree that with KSP 64 bits, the Outer Planets Mod is first on my list (so was Kethane, but it's kinda made stock, more or less, and KAS).

Hopefully, the expert behind RSS can take these extra additions turn them into Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto (Plus moons). Then RSS will be next on my list as well with these maximum, 8megs textures for everything !

Doesn't change the fact that more stock (cannon) planets would be nice. And saying no adding them because most ppl don't go beyond Minmus and Mun would be like saying you're not putting flights to Australia and Japan because the usual person never goes further than Las Vegas, California or Florida.

But it's their game, they do what they want.

A typical person doesn't fly at all. A typical flier flies within Beijing, Shanghai and Guizhou.

I'd rather see a significant level of detail added to the current planet/moons before adding more. I also think the poll should have included that as an option. Because duh- who wouldn't want another planet?

I go back and forth on this idea. If space travel is the game, then the planets need to look great from orbit, but do not need diverse environments to explore in the surface. On the other hand I often feel 'meh' when I've jst reached a planet only tontouch down long enough to plant a flag as there is no point exploring.

Nit really picked a side on the issue. Maybe link KSP to Spore?

- - - Updated - - -

Before any new planets get added to the game, I would like to see terrain scatter and the atmosphere visually improved (clouds). As far as making planets exciting, unless they have and active core or an atmosphere, most planets aren't going to be that exciting; it's what you do on those planets that generally make them exciting. Easter eggs bore me so adding more of those would be a waste of time to me.

My issue with discovering planets is that we've known about the other planets in our system far before we've sent anyone to space. If there is a discovery mechanic, it should be for revealing details about the know planets, track asteroids as it is now, only finding the smallest/farthest dwarf planets, and discovering exoplanets.

As far as adding more planets go I'm fine with another gas, but a ring planet is too expected. There doesn't need to be an analogue for everything in our solar system. I'd like to see a ringed giant, just save it for another solar system, assuming they add a few more. I'd like to see something like a super-jupiter or a mini-neptune. That'd be more exciting to see something that's "uncommon" to us because it's not in our solar system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-Neptune

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Jupiter

Also, I want a planet with a bunch of buttes and hoodoos because they're cool, but that's not what this thread's about.

Perhaps for Jool and GP2 only large moons can be tracked accurately from KSC, but Pol and other grains are discoverable only with orbital telescopes?

Maybe the 'grains' have a limited amount of variabilrity and have a randomly generated orbit for each new save?

• 10 months later...

They are late. I think that Squad can not give any sane ideas what OPM mod does not already do without rewriting the whole surface model. Maybe they could put procedurally generated scientifically interesting places based on seed value to make real exploring possible. However, as far as I know, it is against their principles and do not believe they change them.

Whatever they do with adding new planets--PLEASE, Squad, don't change the current ones! There's notes in the "upcoming features" list about turning Eeloo into a moon for a new gas giant. That's like trying to make a reboot of Scarface. Don't mess with classic material.

5 hours ago, GeneralVeers said:

Whatever they do with adding new planets--PLEASE, Squad, don't change the current ones! There's notes in the "upcoming features" list about turning Eeloo into a moon for a new gas giant. That's like trying to make a reboot of Scarface. Don't mess with classic material.

You are wrong, eeloo would make an excellent gp2 moon. With the new horizons success and data we can then have a better Pluto analogue as well.

I think more planets are not essential to the game, no matter how interesting and fun those new destinations would be. The Kerbol system doesn't need to be just like ours. If there were to be a planet overhaul, I would suggest:

-Rings around Eve

-Volcanism and cryovolcanism (maybe a huge geyser on Eeloo's south pole, like Enceladus?)

-A proper asteroid belt between Duna and Jool (and also possibly things like comets in highly elliptical orbits)

Gas Planets Are Very Fun to explore! But their is only one in Stock KSP, Outer planets does not work for me since i have a mac and other planet pack Gas planets are not very good. I think Gas Planet 2 and 3 should be added and be creative with their moons like a place like Saturn's Titan . Also NOTE i am NOT AT ALL trying to force you but i would just be pretty happy if you did. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.