I'm a little worried about the future of this game...

Renaissance0321

275 hours in less than 7 days is indeed impressive.

Clearly you people aren't familiar with the concept of playing four instances of KSP at the same time. :P

Edited by DMagic

Cleary you people aren't familiar with the concept of playing four instances of KSP at the same time. :P

No most of us like the idea of having a life :sticktongue: In fact I have only logged 244 hours since the end of October when I purchased the game, so logging in that much time is both impressive and slightly disturbing.

I think the reason he clocked that much time in KSP is because he has the steam version... and steam never gives that good depictions of how long you spend, its records like 2 hours for every 1 and a half...

I think the reason he clocked that much time in KSP is because he has the steam version... and steam never gives that good depictions of how long you spend, its records like 2 hours for every 1 and a half...

It also reports the time the game has been running, like me having clocked a lots of time with Skyrim construction set as I had it minimized for some weeks.

one lol from steam timing was once, saw somebody installing portal2 on his gaming computer and it said the installation time was 1 year :D:sticktongue:

hint : it took less than 20 minutes

Edited by Nemrav

Ding ding ding ... we have a winner folks. You figured out my secret. While everybody was thinking time travel or warp speed it's actually just Steam. Considering I first played this game for about 10 minutes and steam said I had played for 4 hours lol...

Also I had my KSP time reset once.

It was well over 200 hours, then reset to 0, back over 300 now - you're right it doesn't really make sense sometimes.

I'd liken devs/modders to this..

The Devs build an office block one floor at a time.

Modders fill that office block with furniture and workers.

I always play with the BTSM mod, love it and would never go back to standard KSP - having said that I can't wait for the next patch because the new stuff also gets added to mods :)

Ding ding ding ... we have a winner folks. You figured out my secret. While everybody was thinking time travel or warp speed it's actually just Steam. Considering I first played this game for about 10 minutes and steam said I had played for 4 hours lol...

I've had that happen to me, and I'm not using Steam. I'll just pop on for a few minutes, build a nice Moon mission, perhaps a space station or two, maybe go interplanetary, ah let's just go to Eeloo...

I'll look up to find that it is 11 pm at night and the entire day has gone by.

I'm rather glad that my time isn't tracked (I use the KSP store version). Pretty sure I could have renovated my house in the time I've put into KSP, better off not knowing.
I stopped playing Animal Crossing for a similar reason. It hit me that I was spending time gardening in a video game when I've got a real garden out back that wants attention.

Not that I've actually given it any, mind.

And now sometimes I do think I'm spending too much time playing with fake space in KSP when I could be looking at real space through my telescope.

Mki the devs said somewhile ago they intend us to have better reentry effects and affects. When they get there they said nothing. But it is coming. Which means atmospheric drag which means we will need fairings. Logic says if they want to do this they must stockify fairings either proc fairings or something.

I'm worried about market saturation from the early release being so far in advance of the final product.

Is there a danger that SQUAD will find that by the time the game is finished everyone who would potentially have wanted to buy it already has bought it early, so there's nobody left to sell it to and the income dries up?

The devs tend to work with the community. Take for example Chad. Chad used to be a modder like all modders on this forum. He decided the hack the wing parts the game had (way back in time) so he could make spaceplanes. HarvesteR was really enthusiastic about his work which was the direct reason to make a landing strip and the space hangar. And now Chad is working with Squad.

So yes, modders make some really awesome stuff and some of it will get into the stock game.

Besides: Squad is investing a lot into the code in a way that it's dynamic enough for modders to do whatever they can think of. That's really impressive!

I'm worried about market saturation from the early release being so far in advance of the final product.

Is there a danger that SQUAD will find that by the time the game is finished everyone who would potentially have wanted to buy it already has bought it early, so there's nobody left to sell it to and the income dries up?

I doubt it. The 1.0 release will be a big milestone and a splash of publicity, and even without that there are still going to be new purchasers.

In any case, even if 1.0 actually doesn't bring in much more revenue, what they've already had has kept the cashflow going.

I think there's a little too much panic here. Remember Microsoft Flight Simulator? From what I recall, there was really no goal in that game. It was just there so you could have fun flying around. But there have been... HOW many versions sold of that game now?

I share your worry here. And I think regardless of what Squad says, and regardless of what versioning system they use: they have already released their product.

It's only a matter of time before they hit a sales growth curve. It's also only a matter of time before a different company develops a brand new competing game which has the advantage of starting on newer and more capable architecture.

Edited by JedTech

I share your worry here. And I think regardless of what Squad says, and regardless of what versioning system they use: they have already released their product.

It's only a matter of time before they hit a sales growth curve. It's also only a matter of time before a different company develops a brand new competing game which has the advantage of starting on newer and more capable architecture.

You hit the nail on the head here! No matter what they call it at this point the product is released, and if squad is doing dlc then they should have. called it 1.0 and got it over with.

Unity is killing this game. The lack of 64bit support ruins the mods that are carrying this game at this point. 2 command pods after this long in development and 1 of them has an IVA that looks like crap, really squad that's the best you can do?

I think there's a little too much panic here. Remember Microsoft Flight Simulator? From what I recall, there was really no goal in that game. It was just there so you could have fun flying around. But there have been... HOW many versions sold of that game now?

They have been to Flight Simulator X then they stopped.

IRRC

Am I frustrated by the game's direction? Absolutely.

Am I worried about the game's future? Absolutely not.

I think casual/new players make up a majority of the game audience, so the game's direction and content are enough for it to do quite well.

You hit the nail on the head here! No matter what they call it at this point the product is released, and if squad is doing dlc then they should have. called it 1.0 and got it over with.

Unity is killing this game. The lack of 64bit support ruins the mods that are carrying this game at this point. 2 command pods after this long in development and 1 of them has an IVA that looks like crap, really squad that's the best you can do?

dude, CHILL. I hate to backseat moderate as that upsets the Vanamonde <hides from Vanamonde> but, the fact of the matter is, this game is NOT near its final released state, as in there is a TON of features NOT HERE that STILL need to be developed. Unity is the engine they are working with <either by choice or for fiscal reasons, what the reason is, if not either those, is SQUADS business, not ours> and the UNITY devs are working hard to make a windows stable 64 bit supported Unity, as soon as its available, Squad will switch to it. They said so themselves. NOW, with that said: This is SQUADS FIRST FREAKING GAME EVER. They are NOT a game studio by trade, from what I read, they are actually an advertising support company <set ups, and so forth> it was Squads desire to KEEP Felipe that they let him run with KSP, KSP is NOT Squads PRIMARY FREAKING PROJECT.

KSP is NOT Squads PRIMARY FREAKING PROJECT.

Surprisingly it may well be, according to one interview with Squads owners KSP has allowed them to expand Squad more than they thought possible and do more of the projects they want rather than just advertising...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.