My nightmare Duna/Ike mission followed by a pleasure cruise of a Dres mission.

Duna & Ike: A Disaster Mission

A while back I got the idea to build a modular craft for my first trip to Duna and Ike. (thread) This ship was a disaster. I hadn't yet learned the value of fuel efficiency. The ship made it to Duna orbit (just barely) and ran out of fuel. It ran out of fuel in a highly elliptical polar orbit, I might add. Two stranded Kerbals in a weird orbit around Duna. So I redesigned the same ship with much more efficient engines, went and rescued my stranded Kerbals (I wish I had taken more screenshots of this epic adventure), and continued the mission as planned. Had enough fuel to do both Duna and Ike landings and return to Kerban safely.

Turns out the lander was a disaster as well. I had designed it as a clever two-shot lander that could be used for both Duna and Ike. In the end, I did manage to land on Duna (took six tries to get it right) as well as Ike (took two tries), planted flags on both and returned to Kerban safely.

Everytime I plant a flag, I always watch the sunrise, even if I don't always remember to get a screenshot of it.

D1.png

I1.png

Dres: A Pleasure Cruise

Just recently, I decided to revive the craft I used for the rescue mission to Duna, do some modifications, and go plant a flag on Dres. This mission (in stark contrast to the Duna/Ike mission) was flawless. I didn't even have to load a quicksave at any point in the mission. I also remembered to take more pictures this time. Once again, this was one of my assembled-in-orbit ships with a very heavily redesigned lander (due to all the problems I had on Duna and Ike).

Saying goodbye to Mun on the way out of Kerban's SOI.

DR1.png

A few tanks of fuel and many orbital maneuvers later, our goal is in sight.

DR2.png

DR3.png

Down we go. I hope this lander works better than my previous models.

DR4.png

Fantastic!

DR5.png

Plant a flag...

DR6.png

...and wait for sunrise.

DR7.png

A couple more tanks of fuel and many more orbital maneuvers later, home is in sight.

DR8.png

Recovery ship collects the Kerbals and pushes the last stage of the Piecemeal VI into a fall.

DR9.png

Mission complete.

DRA.png

Dat Flag bro xD

I will post my missions too someday...too early on the career mode :( need sources of science >.<

Actually, I still haven't tried career mode yet. This was just the normal creative mode. I'm bad enough at this game. Science limitations would only make me worse at it. :P

I think this may be in the wrong sub-forum. Cool rockets though.

I was debating over this forum or the general one. I decided to post it here due to the new lander design and the update of my assembled-in-orbit ship design that I started in an earlier thread. I won't feel too offended if the admin move it to another forum though.

Edited by WhiteRaven22

Actually, I find Career mode to be exactly the sort of progressive learning tool that lets you figure out what everything is for and where it works best. Going through career mode would probably greatly expand on your ability.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.