Update Hype Gauge

Shna_na

On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you about this level of hype/information?  

1. 1. On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you about this level of hype/information?

• 0/1/2 - I don't like this at all. Updates should be a surprise that allows us to explore what's new.
    • 3/4 - I don't like the amount of spoilers they've given and it's taking too long.
    • 5/6 - I like hype, but they're taking too long with this one and spoiled a little too much.
    • 7/8 - I like the hype and am excited for the update, but I'd like less spoilers.
    • 9/10 - I really like this system it should be used frequently. I can't wait!

I don't know why people here are so serious about this issue. It's just a game and please have fun. Those threads, talking about new parts, you can ignore them if you wish. All the information inside comes from squad cast , devnote, video that took by Scott Manley, Danny2462, HOCgaming and The solar gamer. Even squad itself release a trailer on YouTube, will you blame them for spoiling you? Gosh. These people here pay for this game, they love it so much and they deserve the right to know what's going on in the game development. If you do not want to be spoiled, then go camping in the cave for a century then when you go out, you can have the version 1.0 and great surprise.

Ok I think they spoiled a little too much on this one. I'm not saying I don't want to see anything on the new update but I don't want to see every feature. I like to explore a little myself. I voted 5/6 but the thing that bugs me is that it says "because they're taking too long". I don't think they are taking too long on this update, they can take all the time they want. They are doing a great job on this game and they never disappoint me on an update. I am very excited for this update but I think it would be nice to not see every feature but some features. :D

I don't know why people here are so serious about this issue. It's just a game and please have fun. Those threads, talking about new parts, you can ignore them if you wish. All the information inside comes from squad cast , devnote, video that took by Scott Manley, Danny2462, HOCgaming and The solar gamer. Even squad itself release a trailer on YouTube, will you blame them for spoiling you? Gosh. These people here pay for this game, they love it so much and they deserve the right to know what's going on in the game development. If you do not want to be spoiled, then go camping in the cave for a century then when you go out, you can have the version 1.0 and great surprise.

There's more to the issue than just "spoilers" about the new parts. As I see it, there are some people upset about the spoilers, some people upset because they felt misled by SQUAD's announcement the update was coming "soon", and some upset about both. The poll above links the two, even though they're separate concepts.

I, for one, don't give a crap about spoilers. If I did, I wouldn't watch the streams you listed above. And people who are upset about spoilers can take the same strategy. Besides, given how many places I've seen unique information about this release, I don't see how people can be all the upset about spoilers. BUT they're entitled to their own opinion about it.

As for the "soon" issue, Rowsdower has apologized for that, so in my mind, the specific issue has been sufficiently addressed.

I think it's a very good idea to release the full specifications of the new parts in advance. After all, KSP is a game you can play without actually running the software, so you can start playing with the update before it's released. In the last few days, I've planned a lot of things using the new parts, including lifter stages, Eve landers, and interplanetary transfer stages. Without that information, I wouldn't been able to play the game at all, as I've been on a business trip with not too much free time.

I just don't get that worked up about these things anymore. :) I'm excited to get my hands on the new release, but if it's taking longer than planned to squash the bugs, that's OK. I know what it's like to be putting out fires at the last minute.

So I'm quietly going nuts with anticipation over here. :)

Poor Squad. They always get accused of not communicating enough and not being "transparent" enough, and then when they put something out, they get accused of over-hyping and over-spoilering. ;.;

Wow... so much about this post I disagree with:

1. SQUAD has barely put anything out; a huge chunk of posted was mostly from media teams.
  2. IMO, spoiler avoidance is on the part of the viewer, not the source
  3. We've made it pretty clear that they hype was fine, it was the "Soon" crap was frustrating. This wouldn't have been an issue if SQUAD actually provided what they were hyping.
  4. Neither of the previous two points have anything to do with quality communication or transparency
  5. It seems pretty inappropriate for a mod to post something that has a such a mocking tone.

Sorry if you're frustrated with community members posting their opinions that you disagree with.

Edited by LethalDose

SQUAD has barely put anything out; a huge chunk of posted was mostly from media teams.

SQUAD uses the media team as their way to get news out, its much more effective at reaching a greater number of people and takes the effort off of their hands.

IMO, spoiler avoidance is on the part of the viewer, not the source

Nevertheless, many people's complaints are that somehow the update has been spoiled.

We've made it pretty clear that they hype was fine, it was the "Soon" crap was frustrating. This wouldn't have been an issue if SQUAD actually provided what they were hyping.

They ran into problems. It happens. It was fairly obvious from even the first part of the stream with Maxmaps in on skype that there was still a lot of work to be done. They planned on "soon" and it didn't work out as they kept running into problems, they cant be blamed for that. "Soon" doesn't imply a specific date anyways, so whats the problem? It seems like the only reasoning you have is that SQUAD didn't follow your presumed release plan.

Neither of the previous two points have anything to do with quality communication or transparency

But communication about whats going on is the issue, right?

It seems pretty inappropriate for a mod to post something that has a such a mocking tone.

His status in the community (which is purely a forum status, and isn't related to SQUAD directly) shouldn't be taken into account, he is allowed to express his opinions as well.

Wow... so much about this post I disagree with:

1. SQUAD has barely put anything out; a huge chunk of posted was mostly from media teams.
  2. IMO, spoiler avoidance is on the part of the viewer, not the source
  3. We've made it pretty clear that they hype was fine, it was the "Soon" crap was frustrating. This wouldn't have been an issue if SQUAD actually provided what they were hyping.
  4. Neither of the previous two points have anything to do with quality communication or transparency
  5. It seems pretty inappropriate for a mod to post something that has a such a mocking tone.

Sorry if you're frustrated with community members posting their opinions that you disagree with.

You know, you are not the only one participating in this conversation. And an awful lot of people are still taking issue with the hype itself, and feeling like the ARM has been "spoiled" for them. Sure, you may disagree with that, but that doesn't mean Vanamonde isn't addressing the concerns other people have raised here.

As for the mocking tone - I respectfully ask you to look at your own posts here, as well as reconsider what you think of as "mocking". All moderators are community members like you (and I) - not everything they say necessarily needs to be a moderator post, and I think it's safe to say that Vanamonde was actually just genuinely disappointed in the state of affairs here (which I can fully understand).

Now, as for "the 'Soon' crap" ... What exactly do you expect SQUAD to do by reiterating that over and over again? Release it yesterday? They said they're sorry for the unexpected delay, they said they're looking at options to mitigate this in the future. I understand your frustration - believe me, even I am frustrated that it's not released yet - but this is simply beating a dead horse. And for the love of god, stop acting like this delay means it won't be released for another month. I'm sure they're trying their best to get these last issues ironed out as soon as humanly possible, and April has indeed now begun across most of the world.

SQUAD has barely put anything out; a huge chunk of posted was mostly from media teams.

And yet they're being accused of over-hyping and over-spoiling. I was remarking upon the sad irony of this.

IMO, spoiler avoidance is on the part of the viewer, not the source

A point upon which we agree, and yet the accusations continue.

We've made it pretty clear that they hype was fine

Use of the word "we" there is unjustified. Some of you have. But many posts in this thread show that others have not.

This wouldn't have been an issue if SQUAD actually provided what they were hyping.

They still intend to. From what I understand, there was an unforeseen, last-minute complication. Nothing has been cancelled. It's just not coming as soon as some assumed and others hoped.

It seems pretty inappropriate for a mod to post something that has a such a mocking tone.

You've mistaken rueful irony for mocking.

Gonna be funny when it actually does release and all this angst instantly evaporates as everyone goes to play with the shiny new update. It always does :sticktongue:

Well said. All this chompin' at the bit is because we all love this game and just can't wait to play. :)

Well, on one hand, I would kinda wish that Squad would just give no hints at all of the release date, but on the other hand, I like it when they do, as long as it's just "Soon, unless something unforeseen happens", whic was what happened this time. Anyway, I'm still having fun in 0.23, I have a station to finish before ARM!

I don't mind hype... at least it's not like EA where after the hype has settled and millions of people have bought the game, the game turns out to have so many problems you are unable to play the game until months later, and even then the game still has problems.

*crying because EA*

I love the hype and I'm entirely relaxed about the release schedule. KSP is fantastic fun to play right now and it is just going to get better. In fact the only way it could get worse is if an update is released with serious bugs still in it.

As for worrying about spoilers, personally I find this weird. KSP doesn't have a narrative, we make that up for ourselves. The fun of new parts for me isn't discovering them in the VAB for the first time, it's building ships with them and flying them. I actively hoover up as much information as I can about new releases and I enjoy watching YouTube videos of other people playing the game, almost as much as playing it myself.

I like this level of hype, I absorb every bit of info I can get.

I don't regard any of it as 'spoiler' thus far. (though I would if they would for example post the exact contract generation parameters and options, I'd like to hear examples, I'd like to explore the limits myself). As for the ARM update, all we know is that we can now 'dock' to any part of a space rock, which can be pushed around. The amount of possibilities of fun that creates is so incomprehensible large it can't be spoiler-ed by looking at other peoples game-play. It is something one can only experience playing.

Concerning the 'delay' and backlash:

A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.â€Â

Replace 'game' with 'update'.

One can argue 'they' turned on the hype machine too early, dropped the ball on QA, and/or got caught in the hype themselves.

Remember: Both sides lost. They didn't intend this to happen, we didn't want it this way either. And be assured they of all are far FAR more aware of, and bothered by it than we are.

I am glad our community faces the mirror. We are not always as nice, helpful and tolerant as we like to believe. Painful, but confronting this aspect of our community is necessary in order for us to improve ourselves (no matter how futile such attempts at interlectual-Crowd-Control may seem)

Edited by OrtwinS
typos

I liked the hype engine, it worked. Just the game didn't to back up the hype!

Keep the same system, just try not to let the game get the better of the update. It is a big thing to work with NASA, so i didn't expect a quick update cycle this time around. I also didn't expect to get such a large amount of hype over the update. More hype = more excitement and more disappointment when things go haywire.

Squad raised the stakes with this one, and it didn't work out. You win some and you lose some, i just want to know exactly what went wrong with the game that it's release had to be delayed beyond what squad probably wanted.

There wasn't any "delay" as there wasn't any release date in the first place... Dev's don't post any date as you don't know how much time it will exactly take and rushing dates was never beneficial for players as if it's out earlier than "when it's done", it means that you ask for incomplete (buggy) update that may bring more issues than joy.

I really don't see a problem with all this hype and advertising new update, it's coming soon - not now, not tomorrow but it will come soon and Anyone can wait for a while as we waited last few months :rolleyes:.

This game is still selling (and will be) and any way to bring new and old players into game and forums is the good one !

Edited by karolus10

The level of hype and information was fine, but the timing was off (perhaps due to the timing of the events they presented it at). I'm only disappointed as I've been waiting for a few weeks now to start a new career game. Don't want to start one if saves are going to get broken by an imminent update. If I wasn't waiting specifically for the release then I probably wouldn't be disappointed. :P

There wasn't any "delay" as there wasn't any release date in the first place.

-snip-

'Perceived delay' then.

We both know you are technically correct and we both know 'the community' (or a significant portion thereof) extrapolate from previous releases that when the media group goes 'all guns blazin' ' the update is tangibly close.

'Unfulfilled speculative expectations' really ;). Though since it concerns an event that is assured to happen in the near future the word 'delay' simply seemed more applicable in this context and easier to relate to from the perspective of those who kindled said expectations.

Edited by OrtwinS
removed distracting sig

I don't really care. What I want to see is a steady supply of dev blogs/articles telling me about the work going into this game. Being a developer myself I am quite tolerant of release setbacks and a lack of solid release dates because I realize development can take unexpected turns or clients (NASA in this case) can have certain expectations of quality.

So long as SQUAD keeps communicating, I'm good.

E: Also, your poll is terribly skewed. I could care less about the hype but am quite happy about the level of information given regarding this update.

Yup. Boils down to this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.