• Voskhod
    • Soyuz
    • N-1
    • Luna
    • Mars
    • Venera
    • Buran
    • Space stations (salyuts,mir)

Venera, because of the photos it sent back from Venus. As in, the surface. Of Venus. And it's every ounce of fear-quaking acid-raining pressure-crushing fear you've heard condensed into a couple photographs.

1.jpg

Ho-ly crap that is terrifying.

I chose Soyuz. Yes, it's undergone some redesign since its first launch in the mid-'60s, but by and large, they've been using the same craft for almost 50 years. It's a workhorse.

Though I do give them a tip of the hat for their space station projects, though. Easily my "runner-up" choice.

Between the "Vostok" and "Mir", I do not even know what's best. Thanks Vostok mission we climbed above the heavens, thanks to the experience of creating station Mir we all worlds built ISS.

Vote for Mir ;-)

If only the 5th launch of the n-1 was allowed and showed that it worked, I read the russians wanted to do a manned mars and venus flyby with it. :(

Moreover N-1 was designed for a flight to Mars, not the moon

If only the 5th launch of the n-1 was allowed and showed that it worked, I read the russians wanted to do a manned mars and venus flyby with it. :(

No offense to any Americans, but I kind of wish that the Ruskies beat us to the Moon.

The public pressure and the propaganda would've likely forced Nixon to follow up with an manned mission to Mars, and with Russian technology on the Moon, both sides would've started building small lunar outposts. Once with a manned mission to Mars, the Ruskies would've kept upgrading their space hardware to compete with the USA, which would lead back to an more advanced ISS and other things.

Even if they landed on the Moon late, it probably would've brought us small lunar outposts and would be enough for the Reagan to convince NASA that what they needed was a moonbase, not the ISS.

Only if :P

Moreover N-1 was designed for a flight to Mars, not the moon

I don't think so. It was barely capable of getting a single man on the Moon and back, and it cut a lot of corners to get there (no proper docking, EVA to transfer to the LK, no living space...). The Soviet lunar program was a bit of a desperate stunt with much tighter margins and less capability than Apollo.

Edited by Nibb31

The N1 was less capable than the Saturn V, and it's contractors were unreliable.

The contractor who built the N1 engines was an jet engine company, and had no experience whatsoever with large engines, and thus, the 30 engines on the first stage.

The N1 also suffered from heavy structural issues from the storage of parts and transportation, plus political infighting that took its toll on the space program.

I'm surprised the rocket got off the ground at all.

The N1 was less capable than the Saturn V, and it's contractors were unreliable.

The contractor who built the N1 engines was an jet engine company, and had no experience whatsoever with large engines, and thus, the 30 engines on the first stage.

The N1 also suffered from heavy structural issues from the storage of parts and transportation, plus political infighting that took its toll on the space program.

I'm surprised the rocket got off the ground at all.

I think the development of the nk's and closed cycle engines in general was worth it. Although korolov could have gone with glushko and his toxic engines, but umm... nedelin anyone?

Venera, because of the photos it sent back from Venus. As in, the surface. Of Venus. And it's every ounce of fear-quaking acid-raining pressure-crushing fear you've heard condensed into a couple photographs.

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/1.jpg

Ho-ly crap that is terrifying.

That's amazing! I've never seen that picture before. I thought all the Venus lander photos were grainy, black and white shots of the ground. That color is added in isnt?

That's amazing! I've never seen that picture before. I thought all the Venus lander photos were grainy, black and white shots of the ground. That color is added in isnt?

It's real colour. In some of the photos you can see the colour calibration thingy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.