Lowest Delta-v to Moho

Oh Otis, you had to suggest a Munar flyby.......

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I thought I could match metaphor's spectacular 11-flyby flight, but I just couldn't do it. It's not just the good ideas, it's the careful execution and I'll bet a lot of practice.

donfede, is there a KSP current thread discussing Lambert algorithms somewhere? My spreadsheet uses a 5th-order equation of center to determine the planet locations and then a simple Lambert algorithm to find paths between them. The usual stuff. It's not quite fit for human consumption yet though. I would imagine that numerous people here have already been through this.

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks to everyone that has posted entries so far. It takes alot of time to fine tune those Moho missions.

I just finished a Dres mission for my career mode. It's been a long time since I went to Dres and I was surprised at how hard that was. Maybe a Dres challenge should be next?

• 2 years later...

Sue, if you want to go mad because there's no tool for calculating such a thing, you could even do : Mun, Kerbin, Eve twice and Moho 10 times.

PLAD did something like this, but without Kerbin and less Moho flyby.

36 minutes ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Can you save Delta-V by using a MESSENGER/Bepi-Colombo-style path, using the gravity of Kerbin once, Eve twice, and Moho between 3 and 5 times?

In case you want to plan flybys, which can effectively save loads of delta-V (and time in some cases), you can use the Flyby Finder tool which allows you to plan several flybys in a row. It takes a little time to learn how to use it properly, so I'd suggest you start with something more simple, but it is a very useful tool (especially when playing with RSS).

Edited by Gaarst

On 4/26/2016 at 10:33 AM, Interplanet Janet said:

Can you save Delta-V by using a MESSENGER/Bepi-Colombo-style path, using the gravity of Kerbin once, Eve twice, and Moho between 3 and 5 times?

Seeing this old thread come back to life is nice, trying to win this challenge drove me to write my Lambert spreadsheet which then evolved into Flyby Finder. However Metaphor owned this one, check his post on April 8th 2014, he does indeed do a Messenger-style flight, flying by Eve twice and then Moho 8 times to reduce his Moho orbital insertion burn to an extremely small value. I tried to improve upon it but only managed 3 Moho flybys before my insufficient skill sent me off course. It takes a lot of practice to do this stuff well.

5 hours ago, PLAD said:

Seeing this old thread come back to life is nice, trying to win this challenge drove me to write my Lambert spreadsheet which then evolved into Flyby Finder. However Metaphor owned this one, check his post on April 8th 2014, he does indeed do a Messenger-style flight, flying by Eve twice and then Moho 8 times to reduce his Moho orbital insertion burn to an extremely small value. I tried to improve upon it but only managed 3 Moho flybys before my insufficient skill sent me off course. It takes a lot of practice to do this stuff well.

Agreed -- the reason that this thread went moribund in the first place was that Metaphor Won the Internet, and there was nothing more to say :wink:  Seriously, take a look at his flight.  Absolutely fantastic, and I think unbeatable (though you're welcome to try!).

Well, when I tried to go to outer planets (planets with farther distance from Kerbol than Kerbin's distance from Kerbol) using Kerbal X using Eve, it seems that Kerbal X slowing down. So I think it's easier to go to Moho then, challenge accepted!

• 5 years later...

Time for a necro post!

Lt_Duckweed showed me this thread when he was trying to optimize the Moho Messenger route, and I took an interest.

KSP has advanced a lot since 2016, and I think that the amount of delta-v required can be massively reduced.

I see four main phases of this mission:
-Launch to orbit
-Transfer from Kerbin
-Moho Messenger capture
-Moho landing

I've gotten a launch to orbit for 2455 m/s:

Spoiler

Ss50xyi.png

In VAB

Hp7h898.png

On pad

X8eY2Tq.png

I maintain 10 degrees pitch until 1 km/s then lock prograde.

Rsz5yFe.png

Coast to apoapsis

12DZuR5.png

Circularizing

mEDg7W9.png

In orbit

I have done Kerbin -> Eve for 841 m/s using the Mun assist spam route:
-Mun and Minmus assists to eject from Kerbin radially
-More Mun assists passing through Kerbin SOI
-Eve encounter

I have also done the Moho Messenger route for 622 m/s from an Eve->Moho transfer, using seven Moho assists and deep space maneuvers, and then the Moho landing takes about 870 m/s.

This is a total of 4788 m/s from Kerbin surface to Moho surface.

During Thanksgiving break I'll probably string together all these splits and see how low I can go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.