The Grand 0.23.5 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Not yet since I just got the news from release of ARM. Happened about 9pm my time and now it's about 11am. Will be a long day before I'll be able to catch any rocks

dont get too excited tho...

(it's easier than i thought, the generated asteroid trajactories pretty much match Kerbin's... the relative speeds arent very high when they enter Kerbin's sphere. i didnt even use any of the new parts except the hook capturing my first 552ton rock, it's easier than going to Duna...)

i hope they buff the mass of the rocks or make the trajectories differ more from kerbin's next patch

Edited by lammatt

Ill get around to checking out asteroids in time. The first one in my main save is 55 days out and i have things to do before then. Tested out the Claw with some field tests, still need to test grabbing a kerbal. Used the Claw to de-orbit an outdated satellite.

Besides that, been working with the new SLS parts, love the blue exhaust from the Liquid fuel boosters!

To capture my first asteroid, I used my standard Nuclear Tug (now with The Claw!) launched on my standard Reusable Rocket (now with many fewer struts, plus extra nose cones!). I goofed up a little and didn't catch it until a little after its periapsis, but I got it into a huge orbit and then shift its plane to equatorial (it had about 60 degrees of inclination to start). The asteroid was a Class 2.

mRapSvB.jpg

Once I got it in the equatorial plane, I used about a dozen aerobraking passes to drop it into a 130 km x 100 km orbit over Kerbin. Multiple aerobrakings was tedious, but save fuel.

krQRcK0.jpg

Then I had fun deorbiting it. The two nukes could slow it down into a nice vertical descent, but they didn't have the oomph to soft land the beastie, so it crashed at about 100 m/s. This destroyed most of the Tug (which was unmanned), but the asteroid survived.

ZMEAN6c.jpg

I wanted to drop it on the SCIENCE buildings (because those guys always ignore me), but instead it ended up as a decoration outside the Astronaut Complex.

r9xYfam.jpg

Umm - has the Mun moved?

Could have sworn that it used to be on a perfect equatorial orbit and now it's sporting a jaunty 0.4 degree angle.

The possibility, nay - likelihood , is high that it's been this way for ages and I never noticed; that or it still is at a perfect equatorial orbit and my eyeballs are just 0.4 degrees off-calibration :)

BTW, very much liking the improvements made to FPS impact of ocean rendering.

EDIT: Just doubled checked and I'm now certain it's got about a 0.4-0.5 degree inclination. The wiki still lists it as having 0 degree inclination so I'm cautiously assuming it's changed for 0.235. New career mode save btw, if that affects anything. Can only assume successive asteroid impacts have altered it's orbit :)

EDIT 2: Hmm, triple checked and now I'm less certain. May be an illusion played by the apparently opposite inclination of Minmus' orbit coupled with a couple of iffy launches

Edited by MiniMatt

q9sHgoH.png

New approach, using a KAS winch instead.

sv4Za9c.png

Hf3jEXC.png

God dammit

5DKVzlU.png

Can't set it down near enough, cable isn't long enough.

New plan. Screw the asteroid, let's just get Jeb out of here.

Time to retract the winch.

cyA2czE.png

jebediah you FAT *******

Quickloading to retract winch

KRzQE6b.png

9YWeFVW.png

AND SO ENDED THE STORY OF THE ASTEROID LOGOPOLIS

If all bottom engines line up perfectly, you can get rid of the launch supports. I don't even need them anymore now that physics are fixed and just have the rocket stand on it's first stage nozzles.

Anyone else notice their in game time jump forward?

I probably wouldn't have except for the fact that a friend and I are having a competition (fastest to do stuff in kerbal time). Last time I exited the game (Sunday) I was at about 15.5 hours passed in game. When I sign in now I'm just a hair over 3 days. My mission execution times also saw an increase but I haven't been able to find a common theme for how much it went up (either multiplier or static amount).

If all bottom engines line up perfectly, you can get rid of the launch supports. I don't even need them anymore now that physics are fixed and just have the rocket stand on it's first stage nozzles.

Yep, have launched some really rather tall rockets without launch towers just fine.

In fact the only erroneous wobbles to remain seems to be the old bugbear of stack adaptor to engines to decouplers to stack adaptor, ie:

59px-Tvr_200L_bi_adapter.jpg

25px-LV-N_Atomic.png25px-LV-N_Atomic.png

60px-Tr-18a_stack_decoupler.jpg60px-Tr-18a_stack_decoupler.jpg

59px-Tvr_200L_bi_adapter.jpg

And even that seems a bit better (likely as a result of the one active joint being more solid than before).

Two questions:

On youtubers videos i saw two buttons next to maneuver node, move to next/previous orbit (or something like that). How can make them appear? I dont see them.

Also,m it seems that i cant use mousewheel to move between subpages of part list in vab. Anyone else has this?

Do command modules no longer have built-in SAS units? Either that or they were tweaked to be amazingly weak. Anyone else finding this? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Never got a response to this, anyone else?

Never got a response to this, anyone else?

Not come across this as a prob yet. My new career save early Mun lander launches (poorly optimised, throw a bunch of fuel and boosters to any problem) are getting by without additional SAS beyond capsule torque.

Did note that upon a slightly misjudged re-entry one of my probe-core auto science sats (about 2 ton and only 0.3 probe core torque available) was unable to re-orientate itself against atmospheric drag for a correction burn but kinda figured that was fair (and also likely to happen in previous versions).

Are you ensuring there's a bit of vectoring available to your larger rockets? In early career reliance on the LTV-30 alone can make for some slightly unwieldy larger missions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.