The Grand 0.23.5 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Am i the only one noticing the escape tower doesn't have an integrated decoupler ? that thing is heavy even when empty, makes the pod lean forward...

That was my first thought. It seems to be a useless part in my opinion without an integrated decoupler. I suppose you could put a decoupler on it upside down.

I was hoping the part would have an integrated decoupler and fit nicely over a docking port...

It burns forever and holds rock steady with a radial decoupler and a single strut. Fire comes out the bottom and it goes upwards fairly quick. I like it.

Very descriptive, sir!

I don't know, because I haven't got ARM yet. :(

Quickly, to the Internets!

Two questions:

On youtubers videos i saw two buttons next to maneuver node, move to next/previous orbit (or something like that). How can make them appear? I dont see them.

Also,m it seems that i cant use mousewheel to move between subpages of part list in vab. Anyone else has this?

You need to right-click on the maneuver node.

It burns forever and holds rock steady with a radial decoupler and a single strut. Fire comes out the bottom and it goes upwards fairly quick. I like it.

That is suffice enough of an answer. :sticktongue:

But I was hoping for something a bit bigger (more thrust and longer burn time) maybe for an Ares I mockup style lifter as i've suggested in the "suggestions" forum. I've been wanting one forever.

396748main_Ares2.jpg

screenshot20.png

I've been experimenting with having ships push and pull an asteroid at the same time. Thanks to weird physics asteroids don't block thrust so the puller craft still works.

Mine was sure blocking the thrust from my NERVA's :huh:

screenshot1.png

Good description.

Compared to the old SRB, it burns about 50% longer and has about twice the thrust. I find it useful. I didn't look at the TWR though.

That is suffice enough of an answer. :sticktongue:

But I was hoping for something a bit bigger (more thrust and longer burn time) maybe for an Ares I mockup style lifter as i've suggested in the "suggestions" forum. I've been wanting one forever.

I don't know if I would use a longer burn time. I've already had to stack lots of extra fuel on the liquid boosters just so the SRB's run out before the liquid ones. If I HAD to have longer burn time, I'd probably just tweak the thrust down and use more of them to give me enough oomph to get up and go.

It is glorious. Restarted my save and I have been using nothing but pure SRBs to plant me into (usually very elliptical) orbit. Its rock steady and easy to control with a wing pair, and the power and burn time of this is what every SRB strives to be. Nothing but love.

The first thing I tried was a carnival ride for Jeb. It was only the new large SRB, command seat, three structural wings and 3 standard canards. When I launched (aimed at 45 degree angle) it slid along the ground for a few seconds before lifting off. This is kind of lame compared to the medium SRB that takes off, well, like a rocket.

I don't know if I would use a longer burn time. I've already had to stack lots of extra fuel on the liquid boosters just so the SRB's run out before the liquid ones. ...

This thing happened to me as well.

I have assembled an Asteroid Tracking Device (ATD.), and I hooked up to a Class B asteroid so that way I can keep tabs on where these Asteroids are even when I'm not tracking them. Sure it sounds like a lot of work, but I am doing it because I think it would be interesting to see what course the Asteroids take. I still can't quite figure out how to stop an Asteroid from hitting Kerbin, but I did figure out how to rendezvous with one passing by. So yep, that's my story, what do you guys plan to do with the Claw?

Anyone else notice their in game time jump forward?

I probably wouldn't have except for the fact that a friend and I are having a competition (fastest to do stuff in kerbal time). Last time I exited the game (Sunday) I was at about 15.5 hours passed in game. When I sign in now I'm just a hair over 3 days. My mission execution times also saw an increase but I haven't been able to find a common theme for how much it went up (either multiplier or static amount).

The clock has switched to Kerbin time - 6 hours = 1 day. ;)

I'm a bit annoyed by all the asteroids spamming the map view when I try to click Kerbin.

That was my first thought. It seems to be a useless part in my opinion without an integrated decoupler. I suppose you could put a decoupler on it upside down.

I was hoping the part would have an integrated decoupler and fit nicely over a docking port...

Place the tiny decoupler on top of your docking port (right side up, no rotation required) and add it to your "jettison LES" action group. Click the decoupler again and move it "into" the docking port (part clipping does not need to be turned on). Place LES on top. Add LES to jettison and abort action groups, then add the decoupler beneath the pod to the abort action group. Fits, works, and looks perfect.

I just found the new version has automatic conic mode switching :)

Focussed on Kerbin - or on the ship, or on just about anything else - we see the conics drawn in Kerbin's frame of reference (the old mode 3)

13586685884_7574507bd4_c.jpg

Focussed on the Mun, we now see the Mun pass in the Mun's frame of reference so we can zoom in and fine-tune our pass. (the old mode 0)

13586377943_a59a85d25e_c.jpg

I love this thing. It's incredible. I put one on top of some large side boosters (3 orange tank size!) to pull them off (instead of the normal separatrons I would use) and they yanked them up so hard they smashed and flew past my upper stage! Awesome! I love how hard they pull.

BTW, try putting a pair of them facing opposite on some side tanks, it gives a quick neat launch boost.

Anyone else love these?

I'm loving that my flag now shows up on the side of my rockets. Didn't know about that change until I updated; was building a rocket when I noticed I was looking right at my flag on the rocket. It was a pleasant surprise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.