[1.02] Vertical Propulsion Emporium. v0.22b (10th may 2015)

Kerb-fu

great "airship"

1. question ... if u use then ballons with HELIUM or HOTAIR ?

I have been aiming for hydrogen as the lifting gas, it seems to be a far more kerbal way to acheive flight, and was available to victorian period engineers :)

Huzzah, now we only need an ether propeller to propel us through the luminiferous aether and send us to Duna.

On the question of part balance, it is too easy to get into space right now, but I wouldn't worry about balancing them until you have the larger parts ready.

Edit: Are you basing your airship on Francesco Lana de Terzi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Lana_de_Terzi

I had not based it on any historical vessel, any resemblance is purely by chance :D

So this is just my opinion, but you have some awesome looking craft don't get me wrong there. This mod is beautiful, it adds that steampunk look (lots of engines use steam :cool:) My one complaint is that you do not have any prebuilt craft, personally if you add some of those i would most definitely give this a 10/10!

Since the new asteroids are already called potatoroids, I humbly suggest, if it's possible or within the scope of where your going with this, that they be modded into actual potatoes that can be mined and distilled, or for life support, but preferably both. Awesome work so far.

So this is just my opinion, but you have some awesome looking craft don't get me wrong there. This mod is beautiful, it adds that steampunk look (lots of engines use steam :cool:) My one complaint is that you do not have any prebuilt craft, personally if you add some of those i would most definitely give this a 10/10!

I will see if i can sneak a few craft files into the next release :)

I have been aiming for hydrogen as the lifting gas, it seems to be a far more kerbal way to acheive flight, and was available to victorian period engineers :)

I don't know, hydrogen seems TOO unstable. I can excuse the swimming pools reused as fuel tanks as simply being massively over-engineered swimming pools. Hydrogen? Not so much. Hot air seems like the most Kerbal way to go about it. Fire? Check. Streams of hot air? Check. High risk of death? Half-check. Plus with hot air you can add a whale-oil cost for gaining or maintaining altitude. No free lift.

I don't know, hydrogen seems TOO unstable. I can excuse the swimming pools reused as fuel tanks as simply being massively over-engineered swimming pools. Hydrogen? Not so much. Hot air seems like the most Kerbal way to go about it. Fire? Check. Streams of hot air? Check. High risk of death? Half-check. Plus with hot air you can add a whale-oil cost for gaining or maintaining altitude. No free lift.

Yes hydrogen is very unstable, and instability is an essentially kerbal thing... :cool:

The first balloon was hot air and was followed within months by a hydrogen balloon ( also coal gas was used as it was cheaper and easy to get )...

Many balloons duirng this era returned to earth as incandescent balls of flame, but this did not deter the early intrepid balloonists, and I cant imagine Jeb being too upset by this either :wink:

I do like the whaleoil expenditure on hot air balloons, and I will work on it... maybe have both types developing together with a higher explosion chance for hydrogen gas

Yes boatdeck! All kerbals at deck haha, you should use hooligans baloonplugin, that way when the state is safe and landed you can walk around the deck before continueing :)

I will most likely be using hooligan labs plugin, works ok so far ( in early testing )

Looks beatiful and sexy at the same time haha! I dont know how familiarir you are with paricles in ksp but you could add effect so it looks like steam is coming out ;) I like oters look forward to testing it (Y)

Oh, can you do a quick steering wheel ala shipstyle? I cant recall whats its name but those all ships had in the pirate and pre pirate era

Does this ballon really work? How! Deos it have some insane lift value or what?

It does work yes, using hooligan labs mod

I was thinking of making the balloon envelope larger to represent its boyancy... still in testing

Looks beatiful and sexy at the same time haha! I dont know how familiarir you are with paricles in ksp but you could add effect so it looks like steam is coming out ;) I like oters look forward to testing it (Y)

Oh, can you do a quick steering wheel ala shipstyle? I cant recall whats its name but those all ships had in the pirate and pre pirate era

Ooooh, I like the ships wheel idea :D

Sir you deserve a cookie, and this pirate ship!!!

uidcVZn.jpg

Such a great screenshot duuude! :D Do the baloon start that way or is it unpacking trough an animation? I could se many adventures using these great work!

sorry no animation on dirigible balloon :(, still alot of adventures though!

---Edit---

The canon work too!!! :D

Edited by Kerb-fu

No need to be sorry =) I really like the rope details you added around the part (Y) Haha a cannon to?! Dam, can a kerbal climb into it ?

No kerbals in small canon, only canonballs and kerbalsnacks!!!!

Have this to launch kerbals at a later stage!

S9ZOwy8.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.