[1.02] Vertical Propulsion Emporium. v0.22b (10th may 2015)

Kerb-fu

Well, nothing you do to make Kerbal Space any more Steampunky is really wasted...

Except...

Hey, I really really really really really need a Klaw.. Please... Pretty Please... With Instant Pudding on it :sticktongue:

So I noticed that on the jetpack it has regular rocket FX, but when I change it to the "fx_exhaustFlame_white_tiny" or the smaller exhaust, it matches the little thrusters on the jetpack. Was it a mistake to set it to the regular rocket FX? (same for sound).

Also, another glitch with the jetpack is that if you hit the ground sometimes, the kerbal will disconnect from the jetpack and become unmovable. (You cant control it).

Edited by Yoshidude

So I noticed that on the jetpack it has regular rocket FX, but when I change it to the "fx_exhaustFlame_white_tiny" or the smaller exhaust, it matches the little thrusters on the jetpack. Was it a mistake to set it to the regular rocket FX? (same for sound).

Also, another glitch with the jetpack is that if you hit the ground sometimes, the kerbal will disconnect from the jetpack and become unmovable. (You cant control it).

the jetpack is a bit experimental, and I have not really tweaked it at all. the disconnection thing I know about, but am unsure if it is related to one of the plugins (KAS or Kerbolquest) or stock rules.

Kerb-fu: Thought for Solars, Instead of a traditional unfold solar panel effect...what about a solar boiler? The steam punk look is excellent and I could see a tank with an arm coming off of it with a parabolic dish made of polished copper. The dish then looks to use a reflective angle to reflect the light (an effect may be?) on to the boiler for power.

For a static version...Copper pipes under a piece of glass or a magnifying glass built in a wood box. Seems kerbalish to me.

--- Edit ---

One other thought, Probe core, what about a retextured Klockwork Kerbal? It can come with it's own chair...just add to any where.

Edited by SyberSmoke

the jetpack is a bit experimental, and I have not really tweaked it at all. the disconnection thing I know about, but am unsure if it is related to one of the plugins (KAS or Kerbolquest) or stock rules.

It is definitely the kerbolquest plugin. That was a known issue. The easiest way around it is to land safely every time!! Obviously that's not an option, so quick save Before you try to use one of the packs equipped with KQ's DLL. Also sometimes you can equip the pack and not be able to unequip it. Again, quicksave before you equip. There hasn't been any work done to it since RazChek left, and I don't think anything else will change until someone makes a similar plugin.

It is definitely the kerbolquest plugin. That was a known issue. The easiest way around it is to land safely every time!! Obviously that's not an option, so quick save Before you try to use one of the packs equipped with KQ's DLL. Also sometimes you can equip the pack and not be able to unequip it. Again, quicksave before you equip. There hasn't been any work done to it since RazChek left, and I don't think anything else will change until someone makes a similar plugin.

Cool, thanks for the input on that, saving seems like a small price to pay for jetpacking goodness :D

Kerb-fu: Thought for Solars, Instead of a traditional unfold solar panel effect...what about a solar boiler? The steam punk look is excellent and I could see a tank with an arm coming off of it with a parabolic dish made of polished copper. The dish then looks to use a reflective angle to reflect the light (an effect may be?) on to the boiler for power.

For a static version...Copper pipes under a piece of glass or a magnifying glass built in a wood box. Seems kerbalish to me.

--- Edit ---

One other thought, Probe core, what about a retextured Klockwork Kerbal? It can come with it's own chair...just add to any where.

my small solar panel uses a similar theory.... the curved mirror reflects the suns rays onto a pipe located at its focal point to heat a liquid circulating within it which is used to produce steam and at the moment ( through the magic of the config file) produce electricity.

I was/am toying with the idea of the panels producing only steam from stored water and having a separate turbine part to convert the steam back into water and produce electricity also, I may need some fast talking in the config file to have the panels use water as I am not sure if the stock solarpanel module can work as a generator (and use resources) also.

I like the idea of the "Klockwork Kerbal"....:cool:

I'm curious about one thing, are you using kas to store your pack inside a storage container? When we were still developing ours the next step was going to be adding both that and a kas node, to connect a winch cable to all the packs to make it simpler to refuel them. The rocket has a docking node but the 2 jets don't, so unless you use a different method to refuel them they may as well be disposable.

I'm curious about one thing, are you using kas to store your pack inside a storage container? When we were still developing ours the next step was going to be adding both that and a kas node, to connect a winch cable to all the packs to make it simpler to refuel them. The rocket has a docking node but the 2 jets don't, so unless you use a different method to refuel them they may as well be disposable.

The professors kerbal test pilots have always completed unexpected landing sequences well before the jetpacks fuel reserves had been significantly depleted, thus rendering the need for refuelling to be unnecessary, however in the interest of science he agrees that such a need is theoretically a possibility... however funding cutbacks and the suspicious running away of all his test pilots has made any further research impossible.

my small solar panel uses a similar theory.... the curved mirror reflects the suns rays onto a pipe located at its focal point to heat a liquid circulating within it which is used to produce steam and at the moment ( through the magic of the config file) produce electricity.

I was/am toying with the idea of the panels producing only steam from stored water and having a separate turbine part to convert the steam back into water and produce electricity also, I may need some fast talking in the config file to have the panels use water as I am not sure if the stock solarpanel module can work as a generator (and use resources) also.

I like the idea of the "Klockwork Kerbal"....:cool:

why not just make the solar panels mirror heated thermocouples? its just two pieces of dissimilar metal welded together steampunk times could have figured it out.

Also what if instead of making the sun tracking variety of panels radial they are made inline? basically imagine something like a big light house beacon inside a glass tube covered in fresnel lenses swinging around its cylindrical axis to face the sun.

why not just make the solar panels mirror heated thermocouples? its just two pieces of dissimilar metal welded together steampunk times could have figured it out.

Also what if instead of making the sun tracking variety of panels radial they are made inline? basically imagine something like a big light house beacon inside a glass tube covered in fresnel lenses swinging around its cylindrical axis to face the sun.

The idea of dozens of thermocouple joints in a thermopile bolted together and being heated by the sun is appealing, and I may end up making one. At the present I am still working on a design for a large parabolic solar steam heater.

The lighthouse Fresnel lens idea has fired a few brain cells up (however they soon got bored and wandered off...).

Thanks for the ideas :)

LRwvvIF.jpg

Whee! Not, perhaps, the fastest vehicle in the shed, but it'll get you around in style. Even has a working boot. Sadly had to repair the tires, or Frogar Kerman would be in the proper seat for such a vehicle.

And yes, I do have the ability to refuel the electrical systems onboard. I just don't use it unless I really need to. That, and with a docking port hiding in the trunk, I can fuel up any time I need to.

Also had fun with the train parts earlier and was disappointed in my lack of ability to get a train to the Mun. But I found the vintage car to be fun enough to drive about in.

I have a question, how come a lot of parts are missing? I have noticed it in other mods (well at least firespitter) not just this one so has anyone ever had this problem?

Edit:could it have anything to do with my game often crashing? or when it just stops during loading so I have to close the game?

Edit: I tried moving the mod to parts and not alt tabbing to see if those would help but they didn't,

2nd Edit: I validated my game cache or whatever and one of the missing parts appeared

Edited by Floodrank200

After having hunted through all forty pages of this thread for the craft file of Jolly Jeb...

Might I ask the Professor in all humility to include the craft in his upcoming releases? Or, to make it even easier for us CKAN packagers, put a separate archive with only crafts in it (maybe even a few trains and space stations) on kerbalstuff?

http://i.imgur.com/LRwvvIF.jpg

Whee! Not, perhaps, the fastest vehicle in the shed, but it'll get you around in style. Even has a working boot. Sadly had to repair the tires, or Frogar Kerman would be in the proper seat for such a vehicle.

And yes, I do have the ability to refuel the electrical systems onboard. I just don't use it unless I really need to. That, and with a docking port hiding in the trunk, I can fuel up any time I need to.

Also had fun with the train parts earlier and was disappointed in my lack of ability to get a train to the Mun. But I found the vintage car to be fun enough to drive about in.

Well played sir!!! well played indeed. a very fine vehicular conveyance :)

I have a question, how come a lot of parts are missing? I have noticed it in other mods (well at least firespitter) not just this one so has anyone ever had this problem?

Edit:could it have anything to do with my game often crashing? or when it just stops during loading so I have to close the game?

Edit: I tried moving the mod to parts and not alt tabbing to see if those would help but they didn't,

2nd Edit: I validated my game cache or whatever and one of the missing parts appeared

I have not heard of this problem before, I suppose it is possible the download got corrupted, perhaps downloading again might help, or deleting your ksp install and starting again with a fresh install (and then add your favourite addons)

Also in increasing order of unlikeliness you might have:

a nasty virus,

a dying hard drive,

corrupt or failing RAM,

an alien parasite...

After having hunted through all forty pages of this thread for the craft file of Jolly Jeb...

Might I ask the Professor in all humility to include the craft in his upcoming releases? Or, to make it even easier for us CKAN packagers, put a separate archive with only crafts in it (maybe even a few trains and space stations) on kerbalstuff?

I will go on a hunt for the "Jolly Jeb" and include in the next release :D

I have not heard of this problem before, I suppose it is possible the download got corrupted, perhaps downloading again might help, or deleting your ksp install and starting again with a fresh install (and then add your favourite addons)

Also in increasing order of unlikeliness you might have:

a nasty virus,

a dying hard drive,

corrupt or failing RAM,

an alien parasite...

I will try these things but one of the least likely is the virus because the only things I've been downloading is mods for ksp and minecraft and those can't really give viruses, I've never uninstalled a steam game before but its probably just the same way I would un-install anything else (control panel then uninstall a program)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.