[1.02] Vertical Propulsion Emporium. v0.22b (10th may 2015)

Kerb-fu

the jetpack is a bit experimental, and I have not really tweaked it at all. the disconnection thing I know about, but am unsure if it is related to one of the plugins (KAS or Kerbolquest) or stock rules.

Guess what? Looks like it was a stock issue after all. Issue is resolved with This plugin (stock bug fixes)

I always suspected it was a problem with the command seat module itself. The only reason its so much more evident on the jet packs is our DLL sets the kerbals Mass to 0.000001 or something similar, thus his kinetic energy is almost non existent. A crash that should have exploded him would have him survive instead, but in the locked up state. I just tested it a few times after installing the stock module bug fix plugin and I had full control every time.

Guess what? Looks like it was a stock issue after all. Issue is resolved with This plugin (stock bug fixes)

I always suspected it was a problem with the command seat module itself. The only reason its so much more evident on the jet packs is our DLL sets the kerbals Mass to 0.000001 or something similar, thus his kinetic energy is almost non existent. A crash that should have exploded him would have him survive instead, but in the locked up state. I just tested it a few times after installing the stock module bug fix plugin and I had full control every time.

I am installing stock bug fixes now. Thankyou for following through on this :)

This mod is absolutely awesome.

Small and fast corvette, for exploring purpose :

452356screenshot39.png

The dangerous deadly frigate, in case of "flying sea monster" encounter :

702144screenshot155.png

583167screenshot156.png

Edit :

Corvette is 100% vertical propulsion emporium

Frigate has one part from firespitter (biplane struts, emporium struts were too big)

I'll post the craft files later

Edited by varsass

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/452356screenshot39.png

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/702144screenshot155.png

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/583167screenshot156.png

Edit :

Frigate has one part from firespitter (biplane struts, emporium struts were too big)

An excellent start on your global domination/exploration fleet.

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/452356screenshot39.png

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/702144screenshot155.png

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/583167screenshot156.png

Edit :

Amaaaaaazing crafts. Could you upload them to http://kerbalx.com/ as well? I took the liberty of uploading the Jolly Roger craft with a "#steampunk" hash on it...

Done, since it's the first time I use KerbalX I have maybe made some mistakes. Let me know if you find some.

Corvette

Frigate

Corvette does not have anything special, just enjoy :D

2 infos about Frigate : read the action group description (usefull infos), and I've modified the part.cfg of the ship hull section to be able to have multiple hull. I don't know if it's needed to simply use it, but if you need to do the same : line 40 change the attachRules to 1,1,1,1,1 (1,0,1,1,1 is the normal config).

Edited by varsass

My dear doctor, mayhap you are aware of universe-changing events looming just at the horizon, "0.90" or such mumbo-jumbo the boffins like to call it.

Are your secret fuels, be they rarefied from Whales, be they the explosive powder from Chinaland, in any way based on "OSR", "OSR-X" or the "Community Resource Pack"? If so, may I point your attention to http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91998-0-25-Community-Resource-Pack-0-2-3-2014-11-01?p=1583519&viewfull=1#post1583519 wherein a cat herder named "RoverDude" speaks of doom awaiting those who don't use "Regolith", whatever that may be and however it might be converted to Whale Oil, Gunpowder and Steam?

My dear doctor, mayhap you are aware of universe-changing events looming just at the horizon, "0.90" or such mumbo-jumbo the boffins like to call it.

Are your secret fuels, be they rarefied from Whales, be they the explosive powder from Chinaland, in any way based on "OSR", "OSR-X" or the "Community Resource Pack"? If so, may I point your attention to http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91998-0-25-Community-Resource-Pack-0-2-3-2014-11-01?p=1583519&viewfull=1#post1583519 wherein a cat herder named "RoverDude" speaks of doom awaiting those who don't use "Regolith", whatever that may be and however it might be converted to Whale Oil, Gunpowder and Steam?

hmmm, I will delve deeper into this, My resources are fairly basic and require no plugins, however I do not yet know what changes will be made by squad. thankyou for heads up :)

• 2 weeks later...
This works fine in 0.90, so please update the forum title. :)

And the "ksp version" over at kerbalstuff :D

Actually, I was just about to launch my .90 game in sandbox mode to test, but if Gregrox already did so....

Actually, maybe wait another moment or two... My KSP log file is totally swamped with error messages from Kerb-fu:

[LOG 21:45:28.624] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Kerb-fu/parts/propulsion/Fuel Tower/part/FuelTower'
[ERR 21:45:28.684] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'textures2.png' to replace

[ERR 21:45:28.687] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'textures2normal_NRM.png' to replace

[ERR 21:45:28.689] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'screwplate.png' to replace

[ERR 21:45:28.692] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'screwplate_normal_NRM.png' to replace

[WRN 21:45:28.703] [ShipConstruct for FuelTower]: part cost (850.0) is less than the cost of its resources (1468.8)

Dear Dr. Kerbinstein,

Might I make some suggestions as to improve the usership of your modificationalization to this marvelous Kerbal Exoatmospheric Exploration Audiovisual Game?

I just do not believe that the simplistic, homemade barrel shapes of your parts are attractive enough to warrant a greater use in space programs. Frankly the texture quality can be described as merely basic. Surely you must strive towards a texture map of higher quality?

If you look at the situation logically, a wooden barrel fuel tank might work to store beer at low pressure, but not such a complicated pressure vessel as a Vertically Propelled vehicle of the exploitation of Sir Isaac Newton's Third Law of motion. And the part count increase by separating the structure of your oxidizer tanks and your fuel barrels? Surely there must be a more simplistic and intuitive solution. Not to mention how the aerodynamic properties of such structures defy laws that have been written and improved since the early 1700s?

My suggestions to you are perhaps simple. Or perhaps not. The fact stands that a revamp of several of your models are in order.

1( Get rid of your barrels and spheres of fuel.

2( Redesign such tanks to be held together as a single unit, preferably by the use of Copper or Iron in a more aerodynamically efficient manner. A Cylindrical shape is the most efficient of the solids for such purposes.

3( In the model and texture development tool, use a technique known as "baking" to create a more neat shading situation near the edge areas of your parts. If you were to observe the included parts of the Kerbal Exoatmospheric Exploration Audiovisual Game, you will see that near the edges of objects in a part, the texture is made to be darker as a shading solution.

4( Phase out the use of wood in your vehicles. Wood becomes very fragile and brittle in the exoatmospheric environment, and is not very attractive to view.

5( lighten up the leather used on your wings. In fact, make it a proper canvas as opposed to leather.

As I'm sure you as both a scientist and an artist, that what you have is never as good as what you could have if you improved.

Sincerely, from Mr. Gregroxio Mun Belhamm

It wouldn't be the Vertical Propulsion Emporium without the barrels.

I'd agree besides any old timey science fiction story would get around that by saying the trees the wood came from were from mars or a lost valley in the Himalayas or something and therefore the laws of common science do not apply to them.

Edited by passinglurker

I must admit, I could make better textures (so that texture management programs could reduce then back to basic renderings).

I don't think I will drop the barrels, however I do have a slowly evolving plan for tech level improvements affecting the materials and visuals of parts as they evolve.

Mostly this mod is just for fun, as I enjoy the challenge of getting ideas ( my own and some cool suggestions from you guys) to work in the esoteric world of KSP modding.

Actually, maybe wait another moment or two... My KSP log file is totally swamped with error messages from Kerb-fu:

[LOG 21:45:28.624] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Kerb-fu/parts/propulsion/Fuel Tower/part/FuelTower'
[ERR 21:45:28.684] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'textures2.png' to replace

[ERR 21:45:28.687] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'textures2normal_NRM.png' to replace

[ERR 21:45:28.689] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'screwplate.png' to replace

[ERR 21:45:28.692] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as cannot find texture 'screwplate_normal_NRM.png' to replace

[WRN 21:45:28.703] [ShipConstruct for FuelTower]: part cost (850.0) is less than the cost of its resources (1468.8)

Hmmmm, errors can be most discombobulating, I will look into this phenomenon and attempt to divine a perspicacious solution to this most peripatetic of problems.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.