[1.02] Vertical Propulsion Emporium. v0.22b (10th may 2015)

Kerb-fu

75% the Isp of the rocket engines seems to be a good scale for more authenticity, and thus more challenge, to building and flying these rockets. But information I could find on the Water-Steam rocket is saddening It could only ever get maybe 175 seconds from a Steam Thermal Rocket, which you'd of course heat from Solar Boilers instead of burnable fuels.

If you use Liquid Ammonia, I'd say you'd probably be able to get an Isp of 260 seconds. It would be a steampunk LV-N, essentially. Low Thrust, High Efficiencies.

75% the Isp of the rocket engines seems to be a good scale for more authenticity, and thus more challenge, to building and flying these rockets. But information I could find on the Water-Steam rocket is saddening It could only ever get maybe 175 seconds from a Steam Thermal Rocket, which you'd of course heat from Solar Boilers instead of burnable fuels.

If you use Liquid Ammonia, I'd say you'd probably be able to get an Isp of 260 seconds. It would be a steampunk LV-N, essentially. Low Thrust, High Efficiencies.

I will be revisiting the play balance of the parts, the original specs were based on some research papers on steam powered thrust and a small amount of flexible thinking :wink:, and the whale oil rockets were roughly equivalent to stock rockets.

• 2 weeks later...
My dear Professor, might I humbly draw your attention at the Procedural Airships ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99132 ) a certain Radar Guy From Teh Mun has let loose on creation?

Might they not even be an alternative to those Hooligans who provide uplift to your water-and-air-going ships?

I have seen these leviathans of the sky, and it is easy to imagine the vessels of conquest and destruction that could be wrought, flying citadels and fortresses.... hmmmmm

I have seen these leviathans of the sky, and it is easy to imagine the vessels of conquest and destruction that could be wrought, flying citadels and fortresses.... hmmmmm

Well met is what this would be, especially seing as how the Hooligans seem to have been left behind on the progress of history. Word on the street is that they have not fully arrived in the 90'ieth century yet...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, on a different tangent, are you aware of the sterling work this chap by the name of nightingale is doing over here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101604-0-90-Contract-Configurator-v0-5-1-2015-01-10?p=1643227&viewfull=1#post1643227 ?

I might have started some little discussion about how the good Professor would give out Contracts to build vast Whale-hunting stations on the Mun and asteroids :)

Well met is what this would be, especially seing as how the Hooligans seem to have been left behind on the progress of history. Word on the street is that they have not fully arrived in the 90'ieth century yet...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, on a different tangent, are you aware of the sterling work this chap by the name of nightingale is doing over here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101604-0-90-Contract-Configurator-v0-5-1-2015-01-10?p=1643227&viewfull=1#post1643227 ?

I might have started some little discussion about how the good Professor would give out Contracts to build vast Whale-hunting stations on the Mun and asteroids :)

....minions to further my path to world domination, and all I need to do is provide contracts and distribute coinage.... I am becoming increasingly interested...

• 2 weeks later...

- - - Updated - - -

relevent video.

• 2 weeks later...
do you think it would be possible to add a part (or multiple parts) so you can have a lander that looks like this?:https://rocketry.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/steampunk-orb-spaceship.jpg

so far I can see: A command pod, some big landing legs, 2 engines, some classy stairs and rcs thrusters.

That is a most spectacular craft, I will see what I can do.....

I will be revisiting the play balance of the parts, the original specs were based on some research papers on steam powered thrust and a small amount of flexible thinking :wink:, and the whale oil rockets were roughly equivalent to stock rockets.

Whale oil would be considerably less efficient than even the least efficient of Kerolox burners. The way I see it, Kerosene and Liquid Oxygen would be a good base to have your engines fueled, with less efficiency to facilitate the low technology. Liquid Oxygen was first produced in measurable amounts in 1877, and was produced in large quantities by 1884, both well within the steampunk age. A tech level of between 1877 and 1884 would therefore be the target, as it's not hard to imagine that had there been a large enough research dedicated to it, it could have happened earlier, even as early as the 1860s. The first common gasses were liquidifed in 1845, so that would be the lower boundary. Faraday, the scientist who achieved these liquifactions, called oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, carbon monoxide, methane, and nitric oxide the "permanent gasses."

Kerosene was available as early as the 1700s as "coal oil." It would be far less gruesome and more scientifically accurate to have Coal Oil used instead of Whale Oil.

So here's the types of fuel I believe should be used.

Coal Oil + Liquid Oxium

Isp range: 290sASL-310sVac to 300sALS-340sVac

Max Thrust range (Based on LV-T30 sized engine; ignoring Isp): 195 kN to 215 kN

Cost: 0.8 per unit of Coal Oil, 1.3 per unit of Oxium.

Munshine + Liquid Oxium

Isp range: 250sASL-290sVac to 290sASL-315sVac

Max Thrust range: 180 kN to 200 kN

Cost: 0.5 per unit of Munshine, 1.3 per unit of Oxium.

Boompowder

Unable to throttle or turn off (Solid Propellant)

Isp range: 175sASL-230sVac

Max Thrust range: 250 kN to 300 kN

Cost: 0.2 per unit of Boompowder

Peroxium

RCS Fuel, or Monoprop engine.

Isp range: 170sASL-200sVac

Cost: 1.2 per unit of Peroxium

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of primitive resources: I'd just use KSP's vague "call it what its for not what its made out of" style of resource naming for the sake of compatibility with other mods(some bare metal textured tantares parts might fit in well alongside these) if it doesn't feel primitive to you then I'd suggest implementing Hybrid rocket motors (solid fuel/liquid oxidizer) as an intermediary between solid and liquid engines

On the subject of the new pod: If you do an IVA you should keep the forward visibility of the pod from its internal view in mind when placing its windows. People tend to value that

On the subject of primitive resources: I'd just use KSP's vague "call it what its for not what its made out of" style of resource naming for the sake of compatibility with other mods(some bare metal textured tantares parts might fit in well alongside these) if it doesn't feel primitive to you then I'd suggest implementing Hybrid rocket motors (solid fuel/liquid oxidizer) as an intermediary between solid and liquid engines

On the subject of the new pod: If you do an IVA you should keep the forward visibility of the pod from its internal view in mind when placing its windows. People tend to value that

Fuel progression is still a work in progress, I have more fun making parts :cool:

my train pod and this new one have bubble windows that can be left clicked upon in IVA to get a better view of the proceedings, but I do however make some effort to line up the visuals.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I tend not to deal with "complete conversions" or excessive model packs because well; I have a liking to KPS' style over the more phallic rocket likes... but this... is... beautiful. It holds all the love that KSP's style brought to the game and goes further than before.

• 2 weeks later...
Textures on the mod parts are not showing up and flags (vanilla and mod) aren't loading, not sure if I need an additional plugin or something, help?

hello, no additional plugins should be needed for textures to show... try re-downloading the file in case it got corrupted

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.