[1.02] Vertical Propulsion Emporium. v0.22b (10th may 2015)

Kerb-fu

This is a radial steam engine. They WERE available in the 1800s, but without the firebox design. It simply takes the steam from a conventional boiler, an drives the six pistons. This would be the best design for a rover wheel. it wouldn't even have to be animated, just have 6 cylinders running into another one and that leads to the wheel. (Just ignore everything in the video after "Now for the heat exchanger")

Also, the Munshine tank is much too small. The attachment point is 1.25 meters, but the Munshine itself takes up a tiny portion of the tank.

Edited by GregroxMun

This is a radial steam engine. They WERE available in the 1800s, but without the firebox design. It simply takes the steam from a conventional boiler, an drives the six pistons. This would be the best design for a rover wheel. it wouldn't even have to be animated, just have 6 cylinders running into another one and that leads to the wheel. (Just ignore everything in the video after "Now for the heat exchanger"

You do realise I have to make one now!!!! :cool:

You must forgive me, by the way, for my insistence on your steampunk machines looking like they could really function.

I am a big fan of steam machines that can WORK.

The idea is that the Radial Steam Engine will be mounted on the rover wheel frames.

how are these for a quick fix?

DrFTgV0.jpg

rf4OMAH.jpg

One thing by the way, an engine of THAT size would not just be a rover, it would be a POWERHOUSE. As far as locomotive engineering goes, that's not a 10 m/s Munchugger, that's a 10 wagon train loco.

Wheel power should be proportional to the amount of steam available. A much smaller, more reasonable rover might pump out enough to haul a small wagon behind it for supplies, and would also use smaller wheels.

I found some Steampunk Art of mine from about a year ago, I think it may be of interest.

steampunk_apollo_1_by_gregroxmun-d7lzchg.jpg

steampunk_apollo_2_by_gregroxmun-d7lzch8.jpg

The fuel sources are steam RCS fed from a Hydrogen Peroxide tank, and alchohol+nitrous oxide fuel tanks for the main engines. On the CSM, a hypergolic proppellant is used in the picture, but I later changed it to be alchohol+nitrous oxide.

Edited by GregroxMun

One thing by the way, an engine of THAT size would not just be a rover, it would be a POWERHOUSE. As far as locomotive engineering goes, that's not a 10 m/s Munchugger, that's a 10 wagon train loco.

Wheel power should be proportional to the amount of steam available. A much smaller, more reasonable rover might pump out enough to haul a small wagon behind it for supplies, and would also use smaller wheels.

I found some Steampunk Art of mine from about a year ago, I think it may be of interest.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/162/f/d/steampunk_apollo_1_by_gregroxmun-d7lzchg.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/162/e/e/steampunk_apollo_2_by_gregroxmun-d7lzch8.jpg

The fuel sources are steam RCS fed from a Hydrogen Peroxide tank, and alchohol+nitrous oxide fuel tanks for the main engines. On the CSM, a hypergolic proppellant is used in the picture, but I later changed it to be alchohol+nitrous oxide.

I am impressed. its a well considered concept

...the professor has already calculated the size of the crater I would make if I flew it...

We need an overhaul of the solar/electric system. We need MUCH bigger solar panels; and furthermore, they need to produce steam instead of electrical charge, but take up water. Generators take steam and turn it to electricity and water. Water is recycled by a condenser in the generator part, so that nothing is lost. You can't lose anything in space unless it's rocket fuel!

Or, perhaps you could use heat, which is fed into a boiler to take up water and turn it into steam. Then whatever mechanism (other than rocket) can take the steam and turn it into water and it's own purpose (Rover wheel torque, reaction wheel torque, electrical generation, etc.)

Meanwhile, if heat is produced in a firebox that uses combustible fuels, then it will produce Exhaust. Exhaust can be converted back into Munshine, NitrousOxide, or WhaleOil with LARGE amounts of electricity, but otherwise it must be stored or disposed of through the RCS. If an exhaust tank gets full, the exhaust will leak out through all of the RCS thrusters (evenly). If there are no RCS thrusters, the tank will overheat and explode. Then the firebox will overheat and explode.

Edited by GregroxMun

We need an overhaul of the solar/electric system. We need MUCH bigger solar panels; and furthermore, they need to produce steam instead of electrical charge, but take up water. Generators take steam and turn it to electricity and water. Water is recycled by a condenser in the generator part, so that nothing is lost. You can't lose anything in space unless it's rocket fuel!

Or, perhaps you could use heat, which is fed into a boiler to take up water and turn it into steam. Then whatever mechanism (other than rocket) can take the steam and turn it into water and it's own purpose (Rover wheel torque, reaction wheel torque, electrical generation, etc.)

Meanwhile, if heat is produced in a firebox that uses combustible fuels, then it will produce Exhaust. Exhaust can be converted back into Munshine, NitrousOxide, or WhaleOil with LARGE amounts of electricity, but otherwise it must be stored or disposed of through the RCS. If an exhaust tank gets full, the exhaust will leak out through all of the RCS thrusters (evenly). If there are no RCS thrusters, the tank will overheat and explode. Then the firebox will overheat and explode.

I agree, it was part of my original plan before I got lost in the world of bat-trains and awesomeness.

I will need to do some serious balancing as my parts evolve. I was going to incorporate energy loss through heat as well... I do like the exploding firebox idea ( no idea how to implement that yet though )

Also the SRBs need a severe decrease in Isp. 190 max in atmo. 80 is more authentic for gunpowder, but then they'd be nearly useless.

- - - Updated - - -

I might stream in a few minutes using this mod, stay tuned on http://www.twitch.tv/gregroxmun

EDIT: KerbFu, would you like to be my guest? PM me your Skype contact info if so.

Edited by GregroxMun

Also the SRBs need a severe decrease in Isp. 190 max in atmo. 80 is more authentic for gunpowder, but then they'd be nearly useless.

- - - Updated - - -

I might stream in a few minutes using this mod, stay tuned on http://www.twitch.tv/gregroxmun

EDIT: KerbFu, would you like to be my guest? PM me your Skype contact info if so.

Im sorry I went to sleep just after my last post and missed this (it was 3:40 am for me)

Ok I have boxed up a new version, links are on the main page...

Remember to be gentle with the train's boiler :sticktongue:

I have made the train's command pod have interactive windows as well as a few other things, as always testing continues....

Edited by Kerb-fu

"Well, I suppose if you had a straight stretch of track with a level grade, and you weren't haulin' no cars behind you, and if you can get the fire hot enough, and I'm talkin' about hotter than the blazes of hell and damnation itself... then yes, it might be possible to get her up that fast."

"Well, I suppose if you had a straight stretch of track with a level grade, and you weren't haulin' no cars behind you, and if you can get the fire hot enough, and I'm talkin' about hotter than the blazes of hell and damnation itself... then yes, it might be possible to get her up that fast."

Oh no... now I need to make a hover board and a Marty McFly...... :sticktongue:

Behold the Sneiffellzz Mobile Steam Production Plant!

dMJgDpv.jpg

This thing is about 22 tons without any steam in its tanks, and about 37 tons with steam in said tanks. Its purpose is to provide steam for steam powered rovers and trains that need it.

Maiden flight of the Ada Gillyflower series of manned rockets (and a big box of Jammie Dodgers to whomever gets the reference):

Liftoff...

ajvvKRd.png

Stage 2...

c9kqtTW.png

Stage 3...

JI3Vl52.png

On orbit at an altitude of 125 kilometres, and just in time for tea!

e4yNXoC.png

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Oh my! I have to stop looking at all the pretty pretty pictures in this thread to report the easiest bug to fix.

The current release on KerbalStuff has a release version of "Kerb-fu_v0.20a", whereas previous versions have versions like "0.19a". This is making the CKAN indexer sad.

I don't suppose you can pop over to KS, and edit the mod info to have a version of "v0.20a"?

Many, many thanks!

~ Paul

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.