Asteroid movement

Good day all. To start, I'm really enjoying this new patch. Loving all the new parts !!

So last night I was able to build a ship, get myself off to an asteroid, and grapple it with relative ease. However, after I realized my 3 nuke setup was not enough to move the rock into orbit within a reasonable amount of time, I sent up another less efficient powerful one. Once I got everything setup, I realized that each time I engage the engine, the rock slowly starts to spin. (Same thing happens with nukes, just on a much slower scale that I didn't noticed right away.) I targeted the center of mass and made sure I was dead on the pink dot, (Like in docking) but it still spins. After I realized I could warp time to stop the spin, I kept trying to pivot my ship bit by bit to counter but no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions? I see people have been doing it successfully with smaller rocks but the principals much be the same. I'm cannot remember the size of the asteroid right now, but it's much much larger than the large tanks we just got. I'm using the new large single engine we just got since the nukes were not powerful enough. I'm pushing, not pulling the asteroid.

Thanks for your time.

Good day all. To start, I'm really enjoying this new patch. Loving all the new parts !!

So last night I was able to build a ship, get myself off to an asteroid, and grapple it with relative ease. However, after I realized my 3 nuke setup was not enough to move the rock into orbit within a reasonable amount of time, I sent up another less efficient powerful one. Once I got everything setup, I realized that each time I engage the engine, the rock slowly starts to spin. (Same thing happens with nukes, just on a much slower scale that I didn't noticed right away.) I targeted the center of mass and made sure I was dead on the pink dot, (Like in docking) but it still spins. After I realized I could warp time to stop the spin, I kept trying to pivot my ship bit by bit to counter but no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions? I see people have been doing it successfully with smaller rocks but the principals much be the same. I'm cannot remember the size of the asteroid right now, but it's much much larger than the large tanks we just got. I'm using the new large single engine we just got since the nukes were not powerful enough. I'm pushing, not pulling the asteroid.

Thanks for your time.

Are your spacecraft in line with the center of mass of the asteroid?

If you want to push rather than pull, try with more sas torque then you think you'll need and then double it,

and have a ridged connection between your rocket and your claw, and you'll find the spin easier to counter.

I had a docking port between my rocket and the claw on my first asteroid.

My thinking was that i could leave the claw there and use it as a docking point for future missions, made for some funny moments,

but very inefficient burns as most of the fuel went into counter spin as you might imagine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.