ksp drm free?

Macko939

Hello.

I got ksp on steam and I was wondering if its possible to get the game so I don't have to install it or have internet connection.

In my college a lot of websites are blocked (including ksp page and forums) and you can't install stuff either, but no-install games work (like unreal tournament)

and I really want to play KSP but I dont know if its possible to get a no-install version

Can you please provide evidence that you have paid for it?

Here's how.

Step One: Go to Starbucks

Step Two: Begin the install

Step Three: Wait for the install to finish.

Step Four: Start the game to make sure it works.

Step Five: Go back to your dorm. Kerbal Space Program will now load whenever you want, without internet needed.

OH, yeah, KSP is definitely DRM-free! If you set Steam to offline mode, I think all installed games can be played. But not installing, that wouldn't work.

Just a note as it is one of my pet peeves… Steam's so called offline mode is not DRM free considering you still have to connect every once in a while or one of the files goes out of date and you cannot access steam without an internet connection. Really frustrating when you try to bring your laptop to Afghanistan where the internet is practically nonexistent (takes 2 min to load the google search box page).

http://puu.sh/7TKtu.jpg

I am talking about PCs in the college (british college, not american) in the classroom.

Our teachers let us play games on lessons as long as all the work is done on time, but to install new software you need admin rights so I cant just install ksp

So I want to put ksp on an usb stick and run it from there (I know it works because I saw someone play it in the library)

Just a note as it is one of my pet peeves… Steam's so called offline mode is not DRM free considering you still have to connect every once in a while or one of the files goes out of date and you cannot access steam without an internet connection. Really frustrating when you try to bring your laptop to Afghanistan where the internet is practically nonexistent (takes 2 min to load the google search box page).

KSP on the other hand can be run directly from the install folder with steam not even runing on the computer. you still need to log on for downloading updates but once installed you dont really need steam anymore to play.

KSP has no DRM through steam regardless of offline mode or not.

What you do is download the game onto your computer somehow, using Steam or the KSP store or whatever. Then you find KSP's install directory and copy-paste it anywhere you like. No need to perform an installation, you just play by running the exe file.

This let's you have multiple configurations for the game too, like if you wanted to have 1 stock game, 1 modded game, and a KMP game for example.

As mentioned before: once KSP is installed it doesn't require Steam or an internet connection to play. Just hit the old KSP.exe and things should be fine

Steam installs to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Kerbal Space Program\

The only thing is, if you got the game using steam, and make multiple installs (for different mod combos) and try to update each of them individually then there is a thing that askes for your KSP store account and if it checks and says you haven't paid then it doesn't let you update.

so basically you need to copy paste and hit replace files if you happen to use multiple installs.

But for a while you are perfectly fine(as in until you copy paste the game for multiple copies) , just tell steam to always update immediately update whenever there's an update and there's no drm.

Okay so I am copying it right now and it says it will take over 30 minutes.

I am wondering if I have to copy it every time I want to play the game (network admins delete games etc. every so often from our accounts so I won't be able to keep it there) or will it work straight from the usb device?

@

I get

There should be 'KSP_Data'

folder next to the executable

this error message :/

Edited by Macko939

Okay so I am copying it right now and it says it will take over 30 minutes.

I am wondering if I have to copy it every time I want to play the game (network admins delete games etc. every so often from our accounts so I won't be able to keep it there) or will it work straight from the usb device?

It almost certainly will. Simply run KSP.exe from the flash drive and the game will load up. I wish you luck!

The only thing is, if you got the game using steam, and make multiple installs (for different mod combos) and try to update each of them individually then there is a thing that askes for your KSP store account and if it checks and says you haven't paid then it doesn't let you update.

so basically you need to copy paste and hit replace files if you happen to use multiple installs.

But for a while you are perfectly fine(as in until you copy paste the game for multiple copies) , just tell steam to always update immediately update whenever there's an update and there's no drm.

The answer: Set things up so you have a "root" version still in the default Steam folder, with clones in other folders. On updates, allow Steam to update its version, then copy everything in that folder (except saves and mods) to the clones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.