What was your biggest payload you have launched into orbit?

TheScareCake!

I'm not sure actually. I'm going to guess somewhere in the 200-300 ballpark. With the new SLS parts, I made a lifter for a 200-Ton payload, and it works great. My benchmark is to get a payload into a 150 km circular equatorial orbit, with a small margin of fuel left in the last booster stage, around 25% or so.

With the changes to joint stability and what may be some other less visible changes in .23.5 it is much, much easier to place a large payload into orbit. Placing 2 full orange tanks into orbit without struts or asparagus is now relatively trivial.

My largest so far is around 50. I like to make my rockets look somewhat realistic, so my payload capacity is lower than someone like Whackjob. :P I also haven't played with ARM any, but I expect I'll be able to get much bigger payloads with the 3.75m parts. :cool:

With the changes to joint stability and what may be some other less visible changes in .23.5 it is much, much easier to place a large payload into orbit. Placing 2 full orange tanks into orbit without struts or asparagus is now relatively trivial.

This. Before the change, the ABSOLUTE BEST I got was a monstrosity of 780 tons

With this new patch, a 2k ton payload seems almost like child's play...

Not sure what their weights were, but either the orange fuel tank I boosted to serve as an orbital tanker, or the combined reactor/generator package I put up for an orbital beamed power station (and again later to add to a station). Think the reactor was hardest, as I barely got it into a 150-200 km orbit.

When my memory arrives and I get my machine working, I'll have to see how big I can go. Just in sheer weight.

But for my current records, I suppose it's a tie between these two:

GxX2NHH.png

bWiiNbL.png

I'm including the final boosters of the Arkingthaad because they had fuel enough for orbital velocity. But my policy is to go to just under orbital, then shed extra tanks and engines, that way they drop into the atmosphere and keep LKO clean.

Edited by Whackjob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.