Just bought an android tablet

Kryten

Does anyone have suggestions for apps they find useful? Any games that are actually games rather than microtransaction-based skinner boxes? It's a 2013 Nexus 7, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

There are the basic games like Solitaire and Chess, but I'm sure you've thought and sought along these lines. Galaxy on Fire 2 is pretty decent. Space Agency has inaccurate orbital physics but is entertaining nonetheless. Terraria recently made an appearance, too, and that is an addictive game (better on PC, but still worth a look).

Also, if you like astronomy, then get Stellarium. It shows where everything will be in the night sky; very useful.

i have an old android tablet that my sister was getting rid of. ive yet to find one game or app with any level of quality or usability.

apps are just half-assed applications.

There's a very good x com clone, I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head and my Nexus is in the car. Try searching the Marketplace for X-com. I can't remember if it was free or not, but there are no microtransactions.

Big download, be warned. Gameplay is pretty good, not perfect but that's because of the touch screen. Graphics are above average.

There's also a turn based tactical shooter, anti terrorism operational type game that is very nice. You can pick a Seal, Delta, SaS, or Ranger team and go through various maps. You select your teammates and level them up. For a tablet game, it's outstanding. I had to replace my tablet so I don't have it installed and I can't remember the name of it either. It's not free, but the content with the paid game is good. There are two DLC packs consisting of new missions with new maps. It can be very difficult to score well because you have to clear maps, clear objectives, and do so with time considerations. Excellent graphics, very good controls. RPG style leveling, weapon and armor variety is very good, also weapon customization including attachments. Think Jagged Alliance 2 in a Rainbow Six setting. EDIT: Breach and Clear is the name.

Plague Inc

Dwarves vs Orcs is surprisingly good, but there are issues with translation.

I also recommend these tower defense games:

Both of the Kingdom Rush games

Both of the Myth Defense games

Tentacle Wars is a very good puzzle game.

Talisman Prologue, based on the original board game.

Sword and Glory is a good one, very difficult. Rogue type hack and slash RPG.

Carmageddon (yes, the original PC game)

Star Traders RPG

Steambirds

Kindle

Swiss Army Knife

Slidenotes

OnStar if you have an OnStar vehicle

Edited by xcorps

One of my favorite games is 2048. It's a game where you slide numbers together(2,4,8,16,etc.) to try and get the number 2048. So far, I have not managed to beat the game.I have an iPad, so I'm not sure if this game is on Android. You should definitely give it a go. It's free too!

Shouldn't have bought an android tablet. An iPad is much better(writing this post on it).

Anyway I suggest Plague Inc, Space Agency, simple rockets(accurate physics and docking!), Galaxy on fire (1 and 2),

And yes, 2048 is insanely addictive.

Shouldn't have bought an android tablet. An iPad is much better(writing this post on it).

Anyway I suggest Plague Inc, Space Agency, simple rockets(accurate physics and docking!), Galaxy on fire (1 and 2),

And yes, 2048 is insanely addictive.

Space agency is terrible. The rocket parts are too basic and have very few working combinations.

LOL, Skinner boxes.

Here's some of the, IMHO, better applications I've installed:

Augment (useful for larger screens)

Flightradar24 (very cool)

Freeballs (interesting particle simulator)

FrequenSee (shows a logarithmic graph of the sounds the device listens to)

Gravity (great game based on the movie, it has multiplayer, too)

ISS Detector (the name explains it all)

KSP Orbicalc and KSPCalculator

Liquid Fun (again, particles, goofy and fun entertainment)

Metal Detector (somewhat useful and fun)

Physics Toolbox series (accelerometer and magnetometer apps, cool real time graphs)

Star Chart (highly useful, real time sky tracking)

Weather, by Yahoo (sleek, beautiful, nonintrusive and exhaustive weather report and prognosis)

Jailbreaking is NOT legal on Android too, it also kills your warranty.

There's a large difference between something that violates the terms of warranty (a one-sided termination of a private agreement) and something illegal (punishable by criminal law)

ive been running rockbox on my 5th gen ipod for many years. it still works. i attribute it's relative imortality to nuking apple's firmware from orbit. i swear that they are engineering malfunctions right into the firmware so you have to buy a new one every few years.

Principia. The only 'must have' game in my opinion. Its mega hard, but you can build just about anything if you set your mind to it. In sandbox mode, you can build something as simple as a car, or build something that will fry your brain just trying to figure out the wiring. I very rarely get into stuff so heavily, but this and KSP are my 2 that I always come back to.

eh, for android a game that's coming soon to android (as in its next update) would be icebreakers : a viking voyage....

to be fair, in addition to my positive bias towards the company that made it, they are getting a steady stream of awards :

from pocket gamer alone, they got best iphone game (it was on Iphone first) and best puzzle game of the year and overall best game of the year (it beat zelda, ashphault 8, etc, etc), and that's only the most recent.....

for other apps, you might consider..... oh wait, I don't have an android, so I'm helpless helping you :(

Poweramp (best music player), Swiftkey and Nova Launcher are what I use with my Nexus 7 (got it on Friday :P)7

Also the current Humblebundle, and weekly bundle have quite good games. I'm loving Bridge Constructor, and Super Hexagon is just as good as it is on PC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.