[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

As the game inches closer and closer to a complete state, so do we! The Taurus CSM system has grown to include another part - a hybrid battery plus SAS unit - add control and electricity storage with only one part!

8bSz9Hs.jpg

The update is live on Kerbal Stuff and Mega, and will be on Curse as soon as we can get it there!

PLEASE NOTE: Kerbal Stuff's version is 1.4.0, with 0.90.0 Compatibility! They haven't let us label the pack as .90.0 compatible, but it is!

v 1.4.0 (12/15/14)
-Added new part: a 3.75 m reaction wheel unit with a 2.5 m battery inside
-Modified some textures to get ever closer to that stock look
-Modified LES to allow for shutting down of escape engines if accidentally fired
-Fixed a typo on the heatshield texture. TIL 'Capsuledyne" has two 'e's
-Cleaned up Unity materials used, may cause performance gains, may not, who knows
-Introduced KNOWN BUG: the engine sinks through the launchpad, even though it has a proper (functional) collider (let us know if you can help!)
-Just don't use the Quadroodle as a launch engine - it's not good at that anyway

Edited by bsquiklehausen
Updated availability

is there a way to make the LES rocket on the Taurus be used as landing rockets using the XT Landertron plugin? because as far as I know the thrust is asymmetrical

I discussed this with bsquiklehausen a while back, and did a little testing. SAS can pretty easily counter the asymmetric thrust. You might end up a bit off target, but it definitely works. To get it working go into the Taurus .cfg, add the Landertron module, and convert the rockets over to solidfuel. You also may need to increase the max fuel depending on your needs.

In a future update I hope to include monoprop compatibility, as well as 2 stage Landertrons that can function as both an LES system and landing rockets. At that point it should hopefully be plug-and-play with the Taurus.

Edited by XanderTek

is there a way to make the LES rocket on the Taurus be used as landing rockets using the XT Landertron plugin? because as far as I know the thrust is asymmetrical
I discussed this with bsquiklehausen a while back, and did a little testing. SAS can pretty easily counter the asymmetric thrust. You might end up a bit off target, but it definitely works. To get it working go into the Taurus .cfg, add the Landertron module, and convert the rockets over to solidfuel. You also may need to increase the max fuel depending on your needs.

In a future update I hope to include monoprop compatibility, as well as 2 stage Landertrons that can function as both an LES system and landing rockets. At that point it should hopefully be plug-and-play with the Taurus.

Thanks, Xander! Can't wait to get Landertron working with the HCV soon!

As far as the thrust goes, trying to properly center it is a constant process - it's pretty close now, but still needs a bit of tweaking (or a complete overhaul). It should get slightly better with most patches we put out - though as Xander said, the SAS (especially with a trained pilot on board!) should be enough to hold it steady now.

Love the mod, the capsule is just the thing, however... I'm having a rather odd problem with the Quadroodle engine. The engine will ignite when I shift between docking and staging mode. If I've activated the engine prior to cycling RCS modes I"m at least able to shut them down, but if the engine isn't activated first then it's an uncontrolable burn and it's all I can do to get myself oriented retrograde for an emergency deorbit burn.

Love the mod, the capsule is just the thing, however... I'm having a rather odd problem with the Quadroodle engine. The engine will ignite when I shift between docking and staging mode. If I've activated the engine prior to cycling RCS modes I"m at least able to shut them down, but if the engine isn't activated first then it's an uncontrolable burn and it's all I can do to get myself oriented retrograde for an emergency deorbit burn.

This seems like a problem with incompatibility with another mod. I've seen something similar happen before in the stock game, but it only involves setting the throttle to 50% after switching modes.

This seems like a problem with incompatibility with another mod.

Yup... I loaded up a bog standard copy of the game with TaurusHCV as the only mod and it worked just fine. Now all I have to do is go through the mods I have and find the offender.

EDIT: Fouuund iiit!... A small mod called Default Throttle, which the user can set the default throttle setting. Handy for space planes not having the default 50% throttle, but apparently is FUBAR when cycling RCS modes.

Edited by Lindy

In the TaurusHCV IVA, what font is used on the boxes in front of the passengers? I'd like to change the texts to something less terrifying.

What's wrong with the current ones? Anvils, bowling balls, carbon monoxide and flare guns are all vital space equipment!

(It's called Manteka, though. Let us know what you change the labels to!)

Thank you. I've made the following changes to the can:

Bleach -> Refuse

Carbon Monoxide -> Board Games

Flare Guns -> Snacks

Hopes/Dreams -> Food

And the following changes to the capsule:

Barbells -> Toothbrushes

Anvils -> Extra Gloves

Bowling Balls -> Souvenirs

Cement -> Food

Your Mom -> Snacks

I'd also like to thank you for this mod. It is one of the handful of mods that I've got installed in my 0.90 folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Request. I really think the storage container needs to act as storage. Its kinda useless right now if it cant store supplies. Hense why they call it a storage container ;) .Maybe you could add a KAS container to that part so players could use a container as a container?

Request. I really think the storage container needs to act as storage. Its kinda useless right now if it cant store supplies. Hense why they call it a storage container ;) .Maybe you could add a KAS container to that part so players could use a container as a container?

What storage container? The lab works like a cargo bay on the sides for attaching radially attached parts to, and the crew cabin (which may be called a Kerbal Storage Container) stores the crew!

What storage container? The lab works like a cargo bay on the sides for attaching radially attached parts to, and the crew cabin (which may be called a Kerbal Storage Container) stores the crew!

Store the crew? HAHAHAHA What for?

Center of mass of Taurus pod is too high. I use FAR and capsule re-enters front end first. Reaction wheels have not enough torque to turn capsule and even if they had, capsule do not have enough electricity for whole re-entry time.

I opened part.cfg but could not find center of mass. Should I change every Y-coordinate or is there command for moving center of mass?

Center of mass of Taurus pod is too high. I use FAR and capsule re-enters front end first. Reaction wheels have not enough torque to turn capsule and even if they had, capsule do not have enough electricity for whole re-entry time.

I opened part.cfg but could not find center of mass. Should I change every Y-coordinate or is there command for moving center of mass?

Use realchute drogues

I have 2 questions…

I couldn’t find a list of required mods for KSOS, I have been putting off updating to .90 because 2 of my favorite mods won’t listed as .90 ready & KSOS being one of them.

1) I’m wondering if I could use the Installer for KSOS (.25) on .90 & then updated required mods, Will that work?

2) Angel-125, I’m just wondering how you did do the Quad SRBs on Freedom?

Thanks,

Oops :blush:,

I was reading both threads at the time and something pulled my attention just as I was pasting my post.

OH well as the old saying goes "To error is Kerbal, but to really mess things up it takes a computer!" :wink: