[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

My guess is that BDAnimationModules.dll was just updated as BahamutoD just released his landing gear today.

Probably confirmed, CKAN shows 0.60 version. But updating to the new BD module doesn't fix the immediate problem of the auto-ignite solid engines on the Taurus with USI.

Absolutely beautiful mod, mate.

Have you considered adding a large monopropellant tank, nuclear reactor, or battery?

We do currently have a battery (and SAS unit combo) and a nuclear engine, and while we currently don't have a monopropellant tank (we struggled to find a good design that didn't have some insane amount of monopropellant), we are considering adding monopropellant storage to the service parts. The Taurus itself already holds 150 monopropellant units.

While the way Kerbals traverse ladders has drastically improved in 1.+, they seem unable to travel down from a Taurus command capsule with a Science Processing Bay underneath.

It sometimes works if I attach an extending ladder to the Taurus, but then the Kerbals are unable to enter the Science Processing Bay.

Any way to fix that?

Have you considered an Orion-like Service Module? I don't really like Aerojet Kerbodyne.

We aim to create a set of parts that can be used to create a Service module. Right now, you can get fairly close with the stock 2.5m parts inside a fairing. We do not have plans to make anything closer to Orion.

While the way Kerbals traverse ladders has drastically improved in 1.+, they seem unable to travel down from a Taurus command capsule with a Science Processing Bay underneath.

It sometimes works if I attach an extending ladder to the Taurus, but then the Kerbals are unable to enter the Science Processing Bay.

Any way to fix that?

I usually use a few static ladders to connect the two, though I also usually have at least the heatshield, separator, and SAS unit between the Taurus and the SPB. That seems to work for me. We will look into the ladder hitboxes for the next patch.

I usually use a few static ladders to connect the two, though I also usually have at least the heatshield, separator, and SAS unit between the Taurus and the SPB. That seems to work for me.

I tried the static ladders multiple times, but I couldn't get it to work.

But I agree it's probably a better idea to move the scientists to the capsule and ditch it. I'll see if I can get that working.

We will look into the ladder hitboxes for the next patch.

That would be appreciated!

Edit: can you show how you can get it to work? Because all my efforts failed.

Edited by SymbolicFrank

Nice mod!

I feel like the quadroodle engine needs a buff though, it's heavier and has less thrust than the poodle, and the isp difference is way too small to make up for it. I think it should be buffed to at least 500 kN.

Edited by Michaelo90

Nice mod!

I feel like the quadroodle engine needs a buff though, it's heavier and has less thrust than the poodle, and the isp difference is way too small to make up for it. I think it should be buffed to at least 500 kN.

Yep - I miscalculated the ISPs/thrust. It's definitely on our list of fixes to be made, and we are planning a small patch again this week now that Squad's updates seem to have cooled down some.

Is anyone else having an issue with off-centre re-entry with the capsule?

EDIT: Read further back, seem some had. Using the stock heat shield fixed the issue, if you're too lazy to fix the heatshield.

Edited by MarcAlain

Nice mod!

+1

Anyway, thanks for this great mod, this is the basis of my end-career spaceships.

Any plans for a dedicated materials bay, or pure liquid fuel tanks? Or even new electricity generation parts, like huge solar panels, or upscaled RTGs...

Also just launched an epic large scale mission to Duna with the Taurus space craft, and I must say, it works splendidly.

Edited by Sanguine

Hey I just wanted to let you guys know that I found a bug with the latest release of this mod. I've been compiling mods to start my modded career save, and when I was finished I booted up the game and went into mission control but there were no contracts at all.. I made sure that it wasn't any of the contract mods acting funny (I spent hours deleting folders, starting KSP, reinstalling, etc because of the large number of mods in my folder), but when I deleted the RSCapsuledyne folder and started a new career the starting contracts had reappeared. I tested it on a clean unmodded install to try and replicate it and the same happened, no starting contracts at all. Just letting you guys know so that you might be able to look into it :) I really love your parts and hope to use them again soon in my career :D

Hey I just wanted to let you guys know that I found a bug with the latest release of this mod. I've been compiling mods to start my modded career save, and when I was finished I booted up the game and went into mission control but there were no contracts at all.. I made sure that it wasn't any of the contract mods acting funny (I spent hours deleting folders, starting KSP, reinstalling, etc because of the large number of mods in my folder), but when I deleted the RSCapsuledyne folder and started a new career the starting contracts had reappeared. I tested it on a clean unmodded install to try and replicate it and the same happened, no starting contracts at all. Just letting you guys know so that you might be able to look into it :) I really love your parts and hope to use them again soon in my career :D

Strange - I haven't seen this myself in testing, but I will look into it.

I was having a problem with the capsule engines rapidly turning on/off after use, I went into the .cfg and set "allowShutdown = False" rather then true, after testing it in-game, this allows it to function perfectly, since once used, I don't need them to operate again. Everything else is untouched. (I like the idea of having built in LES on the capsule, didn't want to give it up by deleting the engines.)

y0, this is an amazing mod, in terms of quality it is the gold standard I use to tell people how a mod should be done. That said, I just noticed that your 3m on-orbit engine is not even as powerful as the 2.5m stock engine. I would suggest a thrust of about 750 for that part... =/ It's just not thrusty enough at it's current specs. I had put it under a 130 ton vehicle a few times and wondered why I couldn't get anywhere...

Small update to fix some issues that people have been experiencing since 1.5:

v 1.5.1 (5/25/15)

-Fixed thrust and Isp values of both engines

-Capsule and heatshield aerodynamics adjusted so they no longer tumble on reentry

-Science bay should now properly shield parts inside cargo bays

-Updated included bdanimationmodules.dll

-Taurus escape engines can no longer be turned off (sorry, had to do this to fix a bug with the effects not showing properly)

-Thrust of Taurus engines can now be adjusted through tweakables

Small update to fix some issues that people have been experiencing since 1.5:

v 1.5.1 (5/25/15)

-Fixed thrust and Isp values of both engines

-Capsule and heatshield aerodynamics adjusted so they no longer tumble on reentry

-Science bay should now properly shield parts inside cargo bays

-Updated included bdanimationmodules.dll

-Taurus escape engines can no longer be turned off (sorry, had to do this to fix a bug with the effects not showing properly)

-Thrust of Taurus engines can now be adjusted through tweakables

Runaway escape engines on launchpad fixed?

Hey Guys,

It seems that when I go to a ship with this command module from the tracking station, it will sometimes explode, the escape engines will fire (even with no fuel) and the module (completely uncontrollable) falls STRAIGHT down to Kerbin, or flying wildly out to space (not having even close to the amount of dV to do this). I can't be sure without more testing, but I suspect it may be a bug with the Taurus module. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I post my peristant file?

This. Is. Amazing.

But there is one thing I don't understand; why the auxilliary nozzles around the Nuclear Engine? Is the first time I see such a design in a NERVA, real-lige or KSP, and I'm not sure what its purpose is.