[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

1. We're looking into that - it's obviously the best solution to the way it works, but it may be tough with the way KSP handles engines.

2. The next update should have a new ladder hitbox which should fix the problem.

3. That's a known bug and will hopefully also be fixed with the next update.

Also - IVA soon - it's taking a bit longer than we expected, though the hardest parts are done.

To remove the escape system from the staging list, simpyl add

staged = false

to the engine module. That should work.

Released a bugfix/minor improvements update to alleviate some problems.

Changelog:

v 0.6 (4/15/14)
-Updated external textures to be more stock-y
-Fixed LES pieces disappearing when zoomed in too far
-Boosted capacity to 7 in preparation for upcoming IVAs
-Increased dry mass to 7.5 units (tons? metric tons? slug?)
-Took steps to alleviate FAR-based asymmetric drag issue, which occurs because FAR includes the collision mesh for the ladder and the hatch in it's aerodynamic calculations; Ferram has informed me this will likely be fixed in an upcoming version of FAR
-Attempted to fix Kerbals flying of ladders/doing a 360-no-scope when exiting the hatch
-Changed license to be more lenient

Known bugs:

-LES engines may deploy when the ship loads. May be related to extraplanetary launchpads. Please use included file that disables these motors until we get this worked out
-May produce asymmetric drag when used with FAR due to the fact that FAR calculates aerodynamics based off of the collision mesh and includes the collision boxes for the ladders and hatches in this calculation. Ferram has told me this will be fixed in a future release of FAR.
-Kerbals don't always grab ladders when they exit the capsule. This appears to be a KSP bug and also happens with the Mk1-2 Capsule.

Please continue reporting bugs! All of your feedback is incredibly helpful

You're quite welcome! :)

For completeness, I did a test reentry from orbit with DRE/FAR. Works quite well, even with no SAS. The 3.75m default DRE heatshield masses a good amount, so my total mass for the capsule, shield, chutes, and docking port were almost 12 tons. But, she flew pretty much straight as an arrow the whole way. I imagine without the shield, it would have been a bit more exciting, since FAR wasn't calculating the pod to have much drag at that orientation anyway.

Also, you might consider making the bottom node for the capsule a size 3. FAR has calculated size/drag from the nodes, so given that you are 3.75 meters at the base, it would help to have the right node size. I did try this during testing and it didn't fix the odd drag, so no magic bullet there. And since stock now has size 3 parts, it would probably be beneficial to follow that.

I hope all this helps you out. I'll be using this for myself either way, as it'll be great for an Orion/Dragon-like pod and a station ferry!

I spoke to Ferram regarding this issue; it will be fixed completely in an upcoming FAR update.

The issue arises from the fact that FAR includes the ladder/hatch meshes in the aerodynamics calculation, which throws off the symmetry of the capsule.

For now, I've made the hitboxes for the hatch and ladder very thin in an attempt to alleviate this issue.

So hopefully v0.6 will make the torquing less noticably until the next version of FAR

I spoke to Ferram regarding this issue; it will be fixed completely in an upcoming FAR update.

The issue arises from the fact that FAR includes the ladder/hatch meshes in the aerodynamics calculation, which throws off the symmetry of the capsule.

For now, I've made the hitboxes for the hatch and ladder very thin in an attempt to alleviate this issue.

So hopefully v0.6 will make the torquing less noticably until the next version of FAR

That's interesting. Didn't realize FAR did that specifically. At least that makes sense.

In any case, glad the new version is out!

So for the 4 passengers, does one have to use some other plugin to remove them from the capsule? Like for say an EVA?

Just click the hatch. You don't need to use the EVA and IVA buttons above Kerbal's heads

Dev update #2:

Internals progress is slow, but solid. I've gotten the most difficult components done now; all I still need to do is add a bunch of filler things like cupboards, boxes, fire extinguishers, wall decorations, etc., and, of course, props.

Here's some pictures (note that the internal walls themselves are not complete and just a placeholder for now, and everything is obviously not textured fully yet.)

Z4CXwqE.png

Overall seat/panel layout

qzc1b7z.png

Detail of the pilots' seats.

WjMyZqc.png

Detail of the passengers' seats, complete with advanced beverage containers with a sealed cap, pressure-differential straw, and velcro to hold them in their holders. Also, space tray tables. Please fold before liftoff.

Pvy9Mic.png?1

View from the pilot's seat.

jnrobinson

Can you tweek the COM on your capsule when you release the heatshield? I love your mod by the way. It fits perfectly with BahamutoD's Constellation mod.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76841-%28RSS%29-Constellation-Essentials-v1-1-Copernicus-MTV-Trusses

The COM is dead center. If you're referring to issues with torquing during reentry when using FAR, that's due to an issue where FAR uses the collision box for the ladders and the hatch in its calculation of the capsule's shape and throws it off center. I made an attempt to fix that with the newest release, but it likely won't be completely solved until the next release of FAR.

As soon as the internals are done, I am definitely adding this to my favourites!

It's already one of my favorites, but as soon as the internals are done and come out, this'll be the pod I use on interplanetary trips!

I love what you guys are doing with it. It looks great and the built-in escape system is really cool! Keep it up!

Yes we are

Sweet cant wait until the internals are done. Im just loving this Command Module, it looks awesome keep up the good work :)

Just a thought have you thought about adding RCS ports that are inbuilt to the module?

The COM is dead center. If you're referring to issues with torquing during reentry when using FAR, that's due to an issue where FAR uses the collision box for the ladders and the hatch in its calculation of the capsule's shape and throws it off center. I made an attempt to fix that with the newest release, but it likely won't be completely solved until the next release of FAR.

I understand... I also see that the solid engines are burning off COM. I guess that is intended to burn out of the way of the massive collision that follows? Could I be wrong? I see some solid engines out of place. Is it intentional?

Regards,

I understand... I also see that the solid engines are burning off COM. I guess that is intended to burn out of the way of the massive collision that follows? Could I be wrong? I see some solid engines out of place. Is it intentional?

Regards,

Yes this is intentional. There are 6 on one side and 4 on the other to apply torque.