ARM just doesn't feel real...

suclearnub

You say it doesnt seem real, but I'm pretty sure the brains at NASA have been developing plans on doing just this, bringing asteroids into orbit for the purposes of research.

This. It's very real. Even though nobody's done it yet it's still about as realistic any of the actually realistic parts of KSP :P

Once I catch a class E asteroid I will make a space station out of it. Why bother with docking ports and structural pieces when you can do something like this?

AsteriodSpacestation.jpg

It seems like a lot less effort and I think it looks far better (obviously not everyone will agree, because reasons and stuff).

NOTE: Obviously KSP has one asteroid per base. Maybe.

Wait, is it possible to claw asteroids together? :D

This. It's very real. Even though nobody's done it yet it's still about as realistic any of the actually realistic parts of KSP :P

Once I catch a class E asteroid I will make a space station out of it. Why bother with docking ports and structural pieces when you can do something like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Mosati/AsteriodSpacestation.jpg

It seems like a lot less effort and I think it looks far better (obviously not everyone will agree, because reasons and stuff).

I'll be attempting to join asteroids later today. Only some class A or B's though...Class E's when I figure out a more efficient and stable giant tug.

you should be able to make a connecter piece with a claw on either end. Attach that to one asteroid and then push that one into the second asteroid so the other claw grabs it.

I'm currently in the process of docking one (Class D! Almost the biggest!) with my current modular space station in LKO. Should be very interesting! :sticktongue:

tedious would be a better word for it. considering you want the slowest possible final approach you want only a slightly smaller/bigger orbit so you'll be going around alot of times. Once there manuvering it acurately will be a pain. might be easier to attach a clamp/docking module and docking the station to it instead even if you have to partly dissassemble the station and do it in several chunks.

But how can ARM be real if kerbals aren't real?

If gremlins are real then kerbals MUST be. I've found some striking similarities between the two species, particularly involving their behavior when in the vicinity of complex machinery.

You can get science from asteroids. High Kerbin orbit, LKO and in Kerbin atmosphere all count separately.

Maybe in time we'll be able to do what NASA plans to do, which is the reason NASA wants to bring one in Earth orbit: long term study. Which would require some form of science-over-time in ksp.

Maybe in time we'll be able to do what NASA plans to do, which is the reason NASA wants to bring one in Earth orbit: long term study. Which would require some form of science-over-time in ksp.

Are they actually planning to bring it to Earth? I remember reading they were going to put it around the moon (no idea why, because that would be harder to do, unless some countries are just to paranoid that we're going to drop it on them (even though it wouldn't even survive the atmo)).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.