Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Great mod! I'll download any pack asap, really nice and polished stuff here.

I actually have few questions - will there be TAC food octo storage part? Or there is and I missed something :P And have you planned to make that EVA pack get some additional buffs like more power for orbital manuev... err, getting onto rockets easier? It sucks to be on massive body without a ladder sometimes

Yes there will be a Food wedge, in fact all the TAC resources will have wedges.

For the EVAx, it currently contains EVA fuel (although you have to manually transfer it to the Kerbal due to restrictions with KSP). WIth the TAC mack the EVAx will also include Oxygen, Water and Food, in small amounts (likely a days worth on top of what Kerbals get automatically from TAC).

I have no issue with the AVC being packaged with US as long as it is opt-in, will most likely be a very useful mod. I just like to have the choice. The main reason I'm posting is to say that I love this mod. It is so incredibly useful and looks great too. Thank you for your hard work.

Once the TAC pack comes out, what is the likelihood that I will be able to mod the waste storage wedges to include a decoupler? I'd love to be able to fill them and then just dump them overboard as they get full.

Actually the same would be nice for the fuel/oxy wedges...

Dev thread where?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73455-WIP-Universal-Storage

- - - Updated - - -

Once the TAC pack comes out, what is the likelihood that I will be able to mod the waste storage wedges to include a decoupler? I'd love to be able to fill them and then just dump them overboard as they get full.

Actually the same would be nice for the fuel/oxy wedges...

If you have KAS installed you can go on EVA and remove the wedges. Decouplers could result in accidents!

If you have KAS installed you can go on EVA and remove the wedges. Decouplers could result in accidents!

Nevertheless, I'm gonna try. :)

If you spin the craft up they will probably decouple and rocket away fast enough that it won't hit anything. Probably.

Is the latest version Universal Storage compatible with ModuleManager.2.2.1? I noticed that it's using an older version when I tried to install the Karbonite Mod and wound up with two separate ModuleManager dll files in my GameData folder.

Is the pun intended with ejecting the waste containers? "Sorry I had an 'accident' and blew out the side of the ship."

Is the latest version Universal Storage compatible with ModuleManager.2.2.1? I noticed that it's using an older version when I tried to install the Karbonite Mod and wound up with two separate ModuleManager dll files in my GameData folder.

It'll work with anything later than 2.0. It gets packaged with whatever is the latest version when we release (unless there's a brand new version in which case I skip it incase there are bugs).

But yeah, upgrade module manager and it should work fine.

It'll work with anything later than 2.0. It gets packaged with whatever is the latest version when we release (unless there's a brand new version in which case I skip it incase there are bugs).

But yeah, upgrade module manager and it should work fine.

Thanks for the quick response.

Great mod by the way. The logistics and aesthetics of attaching multiple Science Jr's to a lander used to drive me nuts until I started playing with universal storage.

Just another thank you post. "Thankyou"....:sticktongue:

Your parts are so incredibly detailed its kinda sad that most people will leave them covered for realism. I like to take the covers off due to the impressive modeling. Cant wait for food exc wedges. I am sure you have considered starting on a few more wedges for a nuclear storage as well as quite a few extras. As soon as the 64 bit Unity build gets stable, people are going to be flooding their GameData files with great Mods such as yours.

From Corvallis Oregon, thanks a ton for making my KSP truly 100% better.

Dren

After talking about ejecting fuel wedges now I'm imagining a rocket composed entirely of US modules and ejecting each fuel wedge as it empties. Probably do one level at a time to keep the weight even.

Rocket made of fuel wedges with nice ladder around and Jebediah throwing out empty tanks on EVA on ascent would be much cooler IMO.

Nice Mod!

I noticed there's a bug with the Universal Storage Alkaline Fuel Cell. The mass reads as mass = 2.2642 in game, but the part config is set to mass = 0.192.

Sounds like your resources are heavier than they should be. Are the standalone oxygen and hydrogen tanks a ton weight as well? I suspect another mod is overwriting our definitions.

I'm concerned with your base science storage bay's mass. I compared a science Jr. with two goo containers on the side, with 6 science bays, 3 on each side, stacked vertically, with goo containers inside. The mass, sans the other 6 bays necessary to complete the circle, was MORE. Significantly more. I then look at just the science jr. compared to just the science bay. three empty science bays have more mass than a science jr.

So I have to ask, does the empty science bay have too much mass? Or does the science jr. have too little?

EDIT:

The science jr. is .2 mass. Each science bay is .07 mass. 3 science bays is .21 mass. This seems incredibly absurd in comparison considering the science bays are empty and the science jr. is presumably fill with science stuff. Even if we presume the science jr. is empty, the science jr. has larger volume so it doesn't make sense to weigh less than 3 science bays.

EDIT2: This may also answer why I've not been using the other modules in favor of larger parts. The deltaV loss is just too much.

Edited by Gaugeforever

I'm concerned with your base science storage bay's mass. I compared a science Jr. with two goo containers on the side, with 6 science bays, 3 on each side, stacked vertically, with goo containers inside. The mass, sans the other 6 bays necessary to complete the circle, was MORE. Significantly more. I then look at just the science jr. compared to just the science bay. three empty science bays have more mass than a science jr.

So I have to ask, does the empty science bay have too much mass? Or does the science jr. have too little?

EDIT:

The science jr. is .2 mass. Each science bay is .07 mass. 3 science bays is .21 mass. This seems incredibly absurd in comparison considering the science bays are empty and the science jr. is presumably fill with science stuff. Even if we presume the science jr. is empty, the science jr. has larger volume so it doesn't make sense to weigh less than 3 science bays.

EDIT2: This may also answer why I've not been using the other modules in favor of larger parts. The deltaV loss is just too much.

The Science bay weighs 70kg, which for an object of it's size seems pretty reasonable to me.

Our parts are balanced based on the real world equivalents. For example I have good data on gas storage canisters that show the dry weight of the canister vs the capacity. From that I can easily calculate a dry weight per liter of stored resource.

In addition I have data on the weight of the apollo fuel cells, which is expressed as KG per KW of power produced, so again we can scale it for US parts.

I take this approach because by using real world values all of the balancing works is already done by physics and engineering.

I don't know how squad balance their parts.

Is there anything in US that could be tweaked to increase the strength of the connection between the 1.25m hub and parts stacked above and below it? My problem is likely due to combining US with other mods, particularly FAR and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, but my orbiters are regularly disassembling on reentry with the failure stemming from the 1.25m hub shearing away from the stack parts above or below it under circumstances in which the orbiter holds up if I leave out the hub. Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm having some issues in career mode getting the fuel cell to create electricity. When attached to a vessel it only gives one option to Open Latch. It does not appear to generate any electricity or water? This is likely a simple issue that I'm confused about.

I'm having some issues in career mode getting the fuel cell to create electricity. When attached to a vessel it only gives one option to Open Latch. It does not appear to generate any electricity or water? This is likely a simple issue that I'm confused about.

Did you remember to stow an empty water tank?

That being said, can we get a SAS wedge? Doesn't have to be powerful, I'm just looking to reduce the length of my craft.

Did you remember to stow an empty water tank?

That being said, can we get a SAS wedge? Doesn't have to be powerful, I'm just looking to reduce the length of my craft.

The fuel cells contains a small water tank, although it will keep working even if you fill up with water (the excess is vented into space).

You should have another button allowing you to turn the cell on and off.

Try downloading the mod again (remember to delete the old folder), it sounds like an incomplete install to me. (make sure you also copy across the Resource Converter folder)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.