amount = full
maxAmount = 100%
}
}

}

@PART[US_Wedge_Sabatier]:FOR[RealFuels]
{
@MODULE[USI_Converter]{
@inputResources = ElectricCharge, 30, CarbonDioxide, 0.0636363636, LqdHydrogen, 0.0003229871
@outputResources = LqdMethane, 0.0000034632, True, Water, 0.0000002587, False
}
}

Edited by rifter
updated for US_TAC_0.9.2.7

Hey great work on the parts, and I must say they look amazing.

One request though, maybe you could add a texture variant to look more like stock?

Another note on balancing, Tac life support made a very thorough(vocabulary?) research on the resources it uses: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aioc9ek3XAvwdGNsRlh3OVhlbTFBR3M4RW0zLUNTRFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

The balancing actually looks very real when you look at the data, the resource consumption is 25% of a human, taking on that those who wish a more harder setting may look into increasing those. Actually I will double the consumption for myself.

The only thing that worries me though is if the resources provided here are well balanced too, capacity volume and all those things. But briefly looking in game they seem to be (+-?).

The only thing missing though is a mixed container, and you could just use the part for the Interstellar Lifesupport, keeping the ratios for same duration, included in the research:

47,2% food 31.2% water 21,61% oxygen

And maybe reducing the internal capacity due to the appropriate separators and etc.

All in All, You already did a great job, I'm thankful anyway.

First of all great mod! I've been using it for a while but actually ran into an issue today. I was going to use the LF10 Fuel tank for a small probe, but I notice the LF-Ox ratio is way off compared to other tanks (Lf/Ox=1.1429 vs Lf/Ox=0.8182 for others), and it ends up carrying too much LF.

Was this intentional or maybe a typo/oversight?

Finally got around to updating all my mods and shifting my save over to 0-25. (And replacing reaction wheels that must have shrunk in the wash) That runtime estimate for the converters is nice to have. They're set up for on-rails operation now?

Finally got around to updating all my mods and shifting my save over to 0-25. (And replacing reaction wheels that must have shrunk in the wash) That runtime estimate for the converters is nice to have. They're set up for on-rails operation now?

Yes they work on rails, provided you've got the power to run them.

I am completely lost without this mod. I love the look and feel of it, the KAS integration is simply a whole minigame inside of itself, taking wedges from a supply drop and putting them on my rover, building a rover out of my storage wedges... thank you so much for adding an incredible amount of detailed exploration and base setups on foreign bodies! It's no longer land, plant flag, leave... I love it!

I noticed that you can attach the wedges to KAS racks, which comes in very handy in the KSO payload bay, where you may not have space for a core module with your payload, but you can slap it in on the side. However, I noticed that once you remove the wedge from the KAS rack, you can't reattach it on EVA.

I didn't know you could take out wedges on EVA, that is what you two are referring to right?

edit: uh sorry, just saw the first post and the part about KAS, maybe I just forgot to check while testing, even better then!

Edited by Gfurst

• Completely recalculated resource processors (Fuel cell, Sabatier, Elektron and Water Reclamation Unit). All are now much closer to real world systems.

Hi, I finally got my interplanetary mission on the way and I got to test the Life-Support gear. I have three Kerbals in the Ship, and when I activate the Sabatier reactor, the Carbon Dioxide is not going down. I couldn't even tell if it's going significantly less up.

How many Sabatier's would it take to clean all of the CO2 that's produced? Is it actually the purpose of the Sabatier to get rid of CO2 or is it mainly to get rid of the H2 coming from the electrolyzer?

Per the spreadsheet I've got that's slightly out of date (a couple versions ago) One sabatier reactor should be adequate for 150+ kerbals if you can run it non-stop. Three shouldn't be a problem. :D The Sabitier converts co2 and hydrogen into water and liquid fuel. It needs both inputs to run. Might that be your problem? Usually you have to run the elektron more than needed for oxygen production to make enough hydrogen for the sabitier.

Per the spreadsheet I've got that's slightly out of date (a couple versions ago) One sabatier reactor should be adequate for 150+ kerbals if you can run it non-stop.

Well, now I have 4 sabatiers for 2 kerbals, and it still isnt enough :/

Three shouldn't be a problem. :D The Sabitier converts co2 and hydrogen into water and liquid fuel. It needs both inputs to run. Might that be your problem? Usually you have to run the elektron more than needed for oxygen production to make enough hydrogen for the sabitier.

I definitely have enough of both.

Hi, I finally got my interplanetary mission on the way and I got to test the Life-Support gear. I have three Kerbals in the Ship, and when I activate the Sabatier reactor, the Carbon Dioxide is not going down. I couldn't even tell if it's going significantly less up.

Ok, so now I checked the numbers.

The US-Sabatier reactor consumes 3,48 U/day CO2. That wold be fine, but:

Kerbals are supposed to produce 0.067 L/Kerbin-day (liquid) of CO2, according to the spreadsheet.

Kerbals actually produce a lot more. According to the TAC-LS build aid, a CO2 tank for 287,74 U of CO2 is enough to be filled by 3 kerbals in 3 days. This would amount to 31 U/day/Kerbal! I checked that experimentally and it checks out.

Now I don't know conversion factors of L (Liquid) to U, but it seems to me there is a bug somewhere between the two mods. Unfortunately I can not tell which mod it is, because I lack the ressources-overview, but I hope this info helps the great Daishi and the great Paul Kingtiger figure stuff out.

Edited by Kobymaru

Just did a quick sabatier test run on the pad. Something isn't working right. Ran during daytime for 3 (Kerbin) days converting co2. Used up 15 hydrogen, 3 co2. Produced 0.6 liquid fuel and no water. Unless my numbers from the earlier setup I put my spreadsheet together are wrong, That should have been <14 seconds runtime for the co2 used. I'll dig into the config later today, But I'm thinking a decimal point got misplaced somewhere or something. TAC has the Kerbals producing co2 at the same rate as before so that's not it. One sabatier should run less than half an hour an (Earth) day to keep up with three kerbals.

I have a tiny request, I don't know if it's been suggested (bit too lazy, and busy playing KSP to check out all 114 pages), but can you guys make a hydrogen->liquid hydrogen converter? it's for Near Future Technologies.

Love the mod btw! It's probably the first thing, if not, one of the first things, I download after getting a new KSP update :D

Just did a quick sabatier test run on the pad. Something isn't working right. Ran during daytime for 3 (Kerbin) days converting co2. Used up 15 hydrogen, 3 co2. Produced 0.6 liquid fuel and no water. Unless my numbers from the earlier setup I put my spreadsheet together are wrong, That should have been <14 seconds runtime for the co2 used. I'll dig into the config later today, But I'm thinking a decimal point got misplaced somewhere or something. TAC has the Kerbals producing co2 at the same rate as before so that's not it. One sabatier should run less than half an hour an (Earth) day to keep up with three kerbals.

Time is short at the moment (getting married next week!) but I'll try to take a look at this tomorrow, I did change the values, but it should still 'work' which is isn't at the moment.

I have a tiny request, I don't know if it's been suggested (bit too lazy, and busy playing KSP to check out all 114 pages), but can you guys make a hydrogen->liquid hydrogen converter? it's for Near Future Technologies.

Love the mod btw! It's probably the first thing, if not, one of the first things, I download after getting a new KSP update :D

I can probably use modulemanager to add a processor to the Hydrogen tank if NFT is installed. The processor can output LiqHydrogen. Even though Universal Storage uses Gas Hydrogen it's stored as a liquid, so the processor can represent a seperate from the tank. Could do the same with Oxygen I guess, let me play around and see what I can do (time is short at the moment, see above post).

Time is short at the moment (getting married next week!) but I'll try to take a look at this tomorrow, I did change the values, but it should still 'work' which is isn't at the moment.

I can probably use modulemanager to add a processor to the Hydrogen tank if NFT is installed. The processor can output LiqHydrogen. Even though Universal Storage uses Gas Hydrogen it's stored as a liquid, so the processor can represent a seperate from the tank. Could do the same with Oxygen I guess, let me play around and see what I can do (time is short at the moment, see above post).

1st: Congrats! I hope for the best for you :)

2nd: That would be much appreciated! This mod is one of the best mods, and you guys are awesome :D

I've been doing some number checking on TAC life support mod and while the information is still fresh in my mind, I decided to check this mod's compatibility with TAC. I found a few minor problems with the resource convertors.

The Elektron water electrolyser produces hydrogen and oxygen in slightly (a little over 1%) disproportional amounts compared to TAC. It also violates conservation of mass. I tracked down the problem to oxygen density. TAC, US and Community Resource Pack all use oxygen density 1.41 g/L, while the actual value is 1.43 g/L. You also use different ways to calculate the result, which normally wouldn't matter, but now the imprecision makes a difference.

Your two ways :

US - two gasses under same conditions (pressure, temperature) have the same volume / mole, so electrolysis of water produces exactly twice as much volume of hydrogen as oxygen. Due to imprecise oxygen density this doesn't conserve mass.

TAC - convert moles into mass, then mass into volume using density. Mass is conserved, but hydrogen volume wouldn't be exactly twice the oxygen volume. Because TAC doesn't have hydrogen and instead uses solid waste, there is no visible discrepancy.

I recommend switching to the TAC way. Here is his spreadsheet. The electrolysis is at row 319.

TAC also uses different amounts of charge (EC) for electrolysis. If 1 EC = 1 kJ then his value is more realistic, since the real Elektron uses about 1 kW (or so the Internet claims).

And one last detail - water in the US resource definitions has unitCost=0.0001, while TAC (and CRP) has unitCost=0.0008.

Time is short at the moment (getting married next week!)

Congratulations on your wonderful reason to be busy with other stuff. :cool:

"No, just a few minutes. Somedood on the internet wants a typo fixed" might not go over too well.:blush: Best not to chance it. I think I can survive for a while without an official patch.

Good news on the Sabatier,

The numbers were just plane wrong and didn't match my calculations. I've updated and tested and I'll upload a patch when I get back from watching Fury.

Elan,

I'll see if I can get the Community resource value updated, having everyone use the same density seems the best answer.

For the power, it's tricky because there's so many ways of calculating what one unit is. I worked it out to 33watts per unit by comparing the power generation of solar panels vs real life ones.

Other people have gone for 1kw / 1kj per unit, but that makes panels massively over powered.

I would love it if Squad came out with values for all the units in the game, rather than just some of them, that way we could all balance everything out and increase the educational value of the game.

Other people have gone for 1kw / 1kj per unit, but that makes panels massively over powered.

Realism Overhaul uses this unit definition, but it also changes the power output of solar panels (as well as battery capacities) to they're not overpowered/understoraged, respectively. Maybe use module manager's ability to detect RealismOverhaul (or lack thereof) to set the units accordingly?

Elan,

I'll see if I can get the Community resource value updated, having everyone use the same density seems the best answer.

I already reported it on github, but it would be TAC's decision, because that's the main mod that's using the value. Anyway, I changed my mind about that - I don't think updating the value is worth the effort. The difference between 1.41 and 1.43 is not big enough to affect realism and there will be imprecision either way, because all densities have only 3 significant digits. So in order to fix that, all values in the Community Resource Pack would have to be updated to have more digits, and that's just not worth it.

A better way is to just adapt your calculations to match TAC's, as I wrote in the previous post. So you will have to recalculate all values used by the (4?) resource convertors in your mod, in order to be consistent with TAC and to have your convertors conserve mass. You actually only need to take the values from that spreadsheet I posted about earlier and scale the values accordingly.

For the power, it's tricky because there's so many ways of calculating what one unit is. I worked it out to 33watts per unit by comparing the power generation of solar panels vs real life ones.

You are right, I think your value is better in terms of both gameplay and realism. We should try persuading TAC to change his value.

hey,

I've been using US for a while. It took me a while to notice this because I rarely run out of EVA propellant, but the EVA-X pack doesn't seem to be working, my Kerbalnaut put it on prior to an extended EVA (was dragging around a solar array with the tether from the active struts mod, which wastes a lot of EVA fuel). When his suit supply ran out, he didn't start drawing propellant from the backpack.

hey,

I've been using US for a while. It took me a while to notice this because I rarely run out of EVA propellant, but the EVA-X pack doesn't seem to be working, my Kerbalnaut put it on prior to an extended EVA (was dragging around a solar array with the tether from the active struts mod, which wastes a lot of EVA fuel). When his suit supply ran out, he didn't start drawing propellant from the backpack.

It's a known limitation, either with KAS or KSP. Ether way there isn't anything we can do about it at the moment. I've mentioned it on the KAS thread and they are working on a new version, so maybe it'll get fixed. For the time being you can manually transfer the fuel from the pack to the Kerbal in the same way you move resources around.

Can you make the LF10 fuel tank a little better? First of all, the liquid fuel to oxidizer ratio is wrong, it should be more oxidizer with liquid fuel. Also, just 7 and 8 fuel is SUPER low. Can you increase that? Even just a 14 and 16 would make it more reasonable, and also fixing the ratio. Also, the m30 monopropellant tank seems pretty low too for a tank that could hold high pressure contents.

I love this mod, and if those two items were just a little more reasonable, this would be even better! Keep up the great work!

EDIT: I just realized that for my own game I can just edit the file, but I think that this would be a reasonable thing to implement into the game in general.

Edited by Pocketkid2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.