Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Here is an Idea, unfortunately I have no Idea how to implement it:

- Make the processing rate a tweakable, like engine thrust. This way, people can adjust the rates to each other to create an optimal ressource flow/electricity usage.

By the way, is the code for the plugins uploaded somewhere, like github?

You can by editting the Part.cfg for your taste of optimal resource flow/electricity usage.

By the way, is the code for the plugins uploaded somewhere, like github?

The plug-ins are all released as separate mods, you can find the source code on each mod's page.

ksp.kingtiger.co.uk contains links to those mods packaged with US and you should be able to find the source code on those links.

Hi Shand,

Parts list:

• Sabatier
  • Elektron
  • Hydrogen wedge
  • Water wedge (empty)
  • Oxygen wedge

Resource cycle

1. Oxygen -> Kerbals -> CarbonDioxide
  2. Hydrogen + CarbonDioxide + Electric -> Sabatier -> Liquid Fuel + Water
  3. Water + Electric -> Elektron -> Oxygen + Hydrogen

I'll look at getting you the processor rates, probably in a instruction manual post on my website (will link when it's up).

Awesome thanks. a bit of testing has shown that the above setup seems good for between 1 and 2 (1 survives, 2 does not) kerbals for infinite survival, though very power hungry! good job i'm running insterstellar and can just throw nuclear reactors at the problem :P interestingly the base ECLLS converter seems to use far more electricity per tick, although i imagine its running a lot faster i didnt check. time for me to save a US life support ring in my subassemblies i think!

I'd love to see a Bosch Reactor, based on an example they built in the 70's:

https://archive.org/details/nasa_techdoc_19710002858

I put together a config for me to use with the Sabatier model.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Input/Output[/TD]

[TD]liters / second[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Input CO2[/TD]

[TD].509091[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Input H2[/TD]

[TD]1.018182[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Input EC[/TD]

[TD]50 EC / s[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Output C[/TD]

[TD]0.000120[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Output H2O[/TD]

[TD]0.000818[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Output Waste (instead of C, to balance weight)[/TD]

[TD]0.0003636364[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I'm not a chemist so I'm guessing based on what little i remember of high school chemistry.

1 mol CO2 + 2 mol H2 = 1 mol C + 2 mol H2O

I used a reaction rate of 1/44, in the paper they claimed 8lb CO2 per hour cleaned:

8lb / hr -> 1 hr / 3600 s -> 1000L / 0.2294 lb -> 0.5097777777 CO2 / sec

If I use 22.4 L / ECU like the Sabatier, and a little rounding, I get to 1/44 as the reaction rate.

I used a W.A.G. for the Liters/ECU for Carbon.

2.267 g/ml -> 12 g/mol -> 188.91666667 mol/L

So 1/188.91 = 0.005293339

For waste instead of carbon, I used .75g/ml of waste (62.5 mol/L of "waste").

I just gave it 50 EC / second since the amount of heat needed to run this reaction is very high. Maybe needs even more. I don't really know how to balance this. The paper's reactor used 950 watts.

Obviously it would be nice to have like a "expendable carbon cartridge" or something like they use in the experiment, so it doesn't just get dumped into space automatically (reactor stops working after the cartridge is full).

Also the reaction rate is probably way too high. Maybe bring it down so it's closer in line with the Sabatier?

Any thoughts? This is my first foray into this so if I messed something up royally, feel free to tell me :-)

Edited by westamastaflash

There are problems with the Bosch reactor that make it a lab only system at the moment. Cleaning the carbon deposits off the system for disposal and maintaining the high temperatures required in space are two of the challenges.

This is probably why the Sabatier is used on the ISS but they don't have a Bosch reactor yet (the methane is vented as waste on the ISS). This would be a good one for a near future pack, but with US we're focused on tech that's space viable now.

There are problems with the Bosch reactor that make it a lab only system at the moment. Cleaning the carbon deposits off the system for disposal and maintaining the high temperatures required in space are two of the challenges.

This is probably why the Sabatier is used on the ISS but they don't have a Bosch reactor yet (the methane is vented as waste on the ISS). This would be a good one for a near future pack, but with US we're focused on tech that's space viable now.

Makes sense - thanks! I'll just stick my little config for now and see about creating some kind of model at some point in the future perhaps.

I would like to see an official battery module for this attachment system added to the core components.

I have copied and altered the Elektron files to create my own, but unfortunately I am not a modder, being unfamiliar with texture and model editing it doesn't look like a battery by any means.

I second this whole heatedly! I find myself placing batteries inside the empty science module, but that is not only tedious, but it is also an inefficient usage of space. I use US often (especially in conjunction with DMagic), and I find that would really close the loop.

This looks awesome. KSP definitely has the best modding community ever.

3 quick questions:

I read in your description that the parts include LF/Ox tanks. Can engines use this directly? Or do you need a fuel line and is this practical? Or do you just transfer the fuel into a connected tank?

How do the fuel cells etc work if you don't have a life support mod? Is there any point to them other than as another way to get power?

Is there a part list somewhere?

I'm looking forward to not having all kinds of stuff hanging off my spacecraft.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DrD

This looks awesome. KSP definitely has the best modding community ever.

3 quick questions:

I read in your description that the parts include LF/Ox tanks. Can engines use this directly? Or do you need a fuel line and is this practical? Or do you just transfer the fuel into a connected tank?

How do the fuel cells etc work if you don't have a life support mod? Is there any point to them other than as another way to get power?

Is there a part list somewhere?

I'm looking forward to not having all kinds of stuff hanging off my spacecraft.

Thanks in advance.

1) The wedges and cores allow fuel to flow though them, so if you had a US core stacked on top of an engine that would work, or if you had parts that allow fuel to flow through them, like other fuel tanks, then that would work. Essentially they follow the same rules as any other fuel tank.

2) Without a LS mod all they do is generate power. We wanted to have a processor in the core pack that would do something in an otherwise stock game but still be compatible with lots of mods.

3) Not yet, but there will be for version 1.0. Most likely there will be a webpage that tells you about each part, maybe a PDF manual as well. Either way we're going to wait until the stats for parts is stable before writing everything down.

In the mean time you can find the technical information in the Resources Research file on my OneDrive (link in my sig).

Hello, excellent mod, I have been using it more and more with KAS and TAC LS.

I have noticed that with tweakscale installed separately I get an error about the hexacore having a duplicate tweakscale module, should I be worried?

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Korfio

Using latest version, in 0.25. I looked for people reporting this since Nov 2nd, but didn't see anything.

I believe the fuel and oxidizer amounts for the fuel wedge are backwards. There's supposed to be more oxidizer than fuel, but it runs out of oxidizer first.

Also, it seems the values for the water purifier wedge for TAC are off. It sucks up crazy power but doesn't really purify anything. The normal TAC parts work as expected.

Using latest version, in 0.25. I looked for people reporting this since Nov 2nd, but didn't see anything.

I believe the fuel and oxidizer amounts for the fuel wedge are backwards. There's supposed to be more oxidizer than fuel, but it runs out of oxidizer first.

Also, it seems the values for the water purifier wedge for TAC are off. It sucks up crazy power but doesn't really purify anything. The normal TAC parts work as expected.

Thanks for the report, I have some free time tomorrow and will look into this.

Any chance at integration with CKAN? Basically, its a meta file that gets added to a central repository that allows linux style installation of mods. Yours is the only mod I want that is not in the repo as of yet.

Link here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97434-The-Comprehensive-Kerbal-Archive-Network-Call-for-mod-participation

Any chance at integration with CKAN? Basically, its a meta file that gets added to a central repository that allows linux style installation of mods. Yours is the only mod I want that is not in the repo as of yet.

Link here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97434-The-Comprehensive-Kerbal-Archive-Network-Call-for-mod-participation

Yes, this is absolutely on the to-do list.

I just found out that I can assign Structure On and Structure Off to action groups for both the Water Tank and the Water Purifier (from the TAC pack) and the action groups work in flight. I tested the other wedges I have (KAS and base pack) and none of them appear to have this...feature. Presumably this is a bug.

I just found out that I can assign Structure On and Structure Off to action groups for both the Water Tank and the Water Purifier (from the TAC pack) and the action groups work in flight. I tested the other wedges I have (KAS and base pack) and none of them appear to have this...feature. Presumably this is a bug.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Just upgraded to latest CORE pack (with the USI toolkit) and now I'm getting null reference exceptions on the tracking station screen. Any thoughts on what may be happening? Here is the output log: http://filebin.ca/1hkkhCRXsHi6/output_log.txt

Also your previous versions page is only up to 0.8 (and TAC link is broken). Can you by chance host the last pre-USI 0.9 versions of the mods?

Thanks!

Just upgraded to latest CORE pack (with the USI toolkit) and now I'm getting null reference exceptions on the tracking station screen. Any thoughts on what may be happening? Here is the output log: http://filebin.ca/1hkkhCRXsHi6/output_log.txt

Also your previous versions page is only up to 0.8 (and TAC link is broken). Can you by chance host the last pre-USI 0.9 versions of the mods?

Thanks!

Hi, I can't recreate that issue and I had a look at the log, but there isn't anything in there to suggest US or USI is causing problems. Are you using 32 or 64bit and what other mods do you have installed?

Thanks!

See you have KerbQuake installed try removing it as it's buggy and more then likey your problem.

Tried without KerbQuake - no joy. The reason I suspect Universal Storage is because the game has been playing fine with the list below for a while. The only change I made was install the new US version, then launched my first Water Purifier wedge and turned it on.

Running 32bit, GameData contents below:

Blizzy Toolbar

USI Tools

Active Texture Management

Alcor Pod

B9

Baha Configurable Wheels

Environmental Enhancement

Chatterer

CrossFeedEnabler

Custom Biomes

Distant Objects

DMagic Orbital Science

Editor Extentions

Engineer

Firespitter

FTmN

JSI

KAS

Kerbal Construction Time

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Nav Utilities

Kerb Quake

KineTechAnimation

Kip's Hubs

Klockeed Martian

KW rockets

MechJeb2

NavyFish Docking Mode

Near Future Propulsion (all packs)

Fine Print

Final Frontier

PlanetShine

PreciseNode

RemoteTech

ResGen (could this be conflicting with USI Tools?)

SCANsat

ShipManifest

SmokeScreen

Station Parts Expansion

Station Science

TAC Life Support

Atmosphere Trajectories

Alternate Resource Panel

TweakScale

Universal Storage

Virgin Kalactic

Module Manager

Edited by OldMold

Nevermind - found the problem. It was Kerbal Construction Time.

You know, the "nevermind" part is the only item I find problematic. See, your request for mod support here, as far as you were (understandably) concerned, was a request to get your game working. For the mod-author, however, it's an opportunity to anticipate problems of future users. Why nevermind this? Yes, you took the onus of figuring it out off of that person's plate, but why not actually share with all of us here what you did to find the problem and what the answer was that you ultimately settled on? This is a forum -- a place for sharing ideas. This is not a tech support hold queue.

(I intend no hostility in my above words, but I don't know how to rephrase to reduce the appearance otherwise. If this is ding-worthy, moderators, please advise, as I'll happily edit this post to comply while also capturing my constructive point.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.