Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

You don't need US-KAS any more and it's unsupported, which is why it's not working. I've asked for those packs to be removed from CKAN.

You only need US, which now includes all the extra packs.

CKAN holds your "Deprecated" versions now. I hope this will solve our common problem :)

I no longer have the option to toggle casing in the VAB, is this just me?

Updated to most recent version

Tried on fresh install to no avail. I maintain the options to open doors, remove structure etc

I can't recreate that, what mods do you have installed? Also which OS and KSP 32 or 64bit?

First off, thanks for making this mod. It's been very useful.

I had a question about the Alkaline fuel cell. I was thinking of using it on some of my early low-tech spacecraft, but noticed that the current draw/power output defaults to 100% load (which is complete overkill). Is there a way to 'throttle down' the output to a lower, longer-lasting value? Is it perhaps supposed to throttle down automatically (to account for actual current load on the cell)?

tl;dr fuel cell is spitting out 16 EC/s when I'm only using 0.3 EC/s.

Edited by Czerky

First off, thanks for making this mod. It's been very useful.

I had a question about the Alkaline fuel cell. I was thinking of using it on some of my early low-tech spacecraft, but noticed that the current draw/power output defaults to 100% load (which is complete overkill). Is there a way to 'throttle down' the output to a lower, longer-lasting value? Is it perhaps supposed to throttle down automatically (to account for actual current load on the cell)?

tl;dr fuel cell is spitting out 16 EC/s when I'm only using 0.3 EC/s.

No, it's either on or off. The apollo fuel cell it's based on didn't have a throttle, and couldn't be restarted. This one can be turned on and off.

You can change the values in the part.cfg file if you want to throttle it back. Halving all the values will give you 50 percent.

No, it's either on or off. The apollo fuel cell it's based on didn't have a throttle, and couldn't be restarted. This one can be turned on and off.

You can change the values in the part.cfg file if you want to throttle it back. Halving all the values will give you 50 percent.

Right, but doesn't the rating of the Apollo fuel cell just refer to the maximum power output before saturation/voltage-drop/overheat? If I recall correctly, it was rated to 1.5kW, but the actual output during a mission varied between 500-1400W. Chem was a while ago, but as I understand, fuel cells don't consume reactants unless there is something bridging the terminals, and won't attain a certain current/power output (and hence reaction rate) unless there is a load connected to draw it (or they're short-circuited).

Apologies if this sounds like whining. When I saw a load percentage value in the game, I just assumed you meant to model variable reactant consumption based on EC draw. Doing so would be a PIA I imagine, but I just wanted clarification as to your intentions for simulating fuel cell behavior.

EDIT: I looked at the Regolith API and found out how to make the conversion rates dependent on load. Changed the fuel cell cfg to my tastes and it seems to work.

Again, thanks for your work. This is just a minor issue I had with one part out of the many I use in your mod.

Edited by Czerky
solved

I can't recreate that, what mods do you have installed? Also which OS and KSP 32 or 64bit?

Thank you for your response. I am running windows 7 64 bit, and running KSP 32 bit through steam.

i removed the game and downloaded a fresh install and added your mod only (one of my favourites of course) yet still in sandbox or career the wedges no longer give me the option to remove casei g.

All other functionality remains.

Right, but doesn't the rating of the Apollo fuel cell just refer to the maximum power output before saturation/voltage-drop/overheat? If I recall correctly, it was rated to 1.5kW, but the actual output during a mission varied between 500-1400W. Chem was a while ago, but as I understand, fuel cells don't consume reactants unless there is something bridging the terminals, and won't attain a certain current/power output (and hence reaction rate) unless there is a load connected to draw it (or they're short-circuited).

Apologies if this sounds like whining. When I saw a load percentage value in the game, I just assumed you meant to model variable reactant consumption based on EC draw. Doing so would be a PIA I imagine, but I just wanted clarification as to your intentions for simulating fuel cell behavior.

EDIT: I looked at the Regolith API and found out how to make the conversion rates dependent on load. Changed the fuel cell cfg to my tastes and it seems to work.

Again, thanks for your work. This is just a minor issue I had with one part out of the many I use in your mod.

Cool, could you share your config, I'd be interested to take a look at that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your response. I am running windows 7 64 bit, and running KSP 32 bit through steam.

i removed the game and downloaded a fresh install and added your mod only (one of my favourites of course) yet still in sandbox or career the wedges no longer give me the option to remove casei g.

All other functionality remains.

Ok, I'll take another look and see what I can do.

Cheers

I've uploaded an image of the problem

NB. I do have a few mods installed there, though the issue was extant without them.

Its not a critical function for me, I don;t even remember if I ever used that functionality before. Now that its gone, I sure would like to know the cause in case it messes anything else up.

Cheers

http://imgur.com/qr2W27K

Cool, could you share your config, I'd be interested to take a look at that.

Certainly. The only section modified was the Regolith module:

MODULE

{

name = REGO_ModuleResourceConverter

ConverterName = Fuel Cell

StartActionName = Start Fuel Cell

StopActionName = Stop Fuel Cell

RecipeInputs = Hydrogen, 0.0647360000, Oxygen, 0.0323680000

RecipeOutputs = ElectricCharge, 1.5, False, Water, 0.0000520721, True

}

Only change was setting the ElectricCharge DumpExcess boolean to false (and output value on personal preference). With DumpExcess set to false, the converter will only consume reactants fast enough to 'top-up' EC. Works okay during time warp, but highest warp will tend to slow consumption (I'm guessing it messes up the Regolith time intervals?).

However, a major hiccup is that conversions don't seem to occur with craft on-rails (don't know if this is because of the change I made or a limitation of REGO_ModuleResourceConverter). This limits the potential use of my modified part for deep-space missions. I'll need to do some more tests and get more information on the Regolith API before I come to any conclusions.

Love the mod, thanks for the work, got a question.

What does the option 'Wedge Locks On/Off' do?

I've been googling my ass off trying to find it to no avail. Halp plz.

These things:

Wedge Locks on

iWXvNg5fBBaSS.png

Wedge Locks off

ibisMeBUZ6a5St.png

It helps if you are sticking something else instead of wedges to the node of the core and doesn't want those things to appear.

Hey guys,

I have encountered an unusual issue, where some wedege parts cannot connect to any of the cores (hex, octo, quad).

These parts (Sabatier Reactor and Carbon Dioxide wedges) will snap to the node but will not connect, leaving the part loose. I have reinstalled universal storage and used the updated version with no good results.

Also another issue is that I have double ups on some of the wedges. Two parts I can find at the moment that are double ups and wont connect are the Sabatier Reactor and Carbon Dioxide wedges. All othe wedges are connecting fine to all cores.

I have tried to narrow the problem down but I am stumped. Anyone come accross this issue before?

In appreciation

EDIT

I think I worked it out. It was the Ironcross LS mod...will report back later

Edited by Newbinator

Hey, Just FYI, RoverDude pushed an update for a couple of his mods last night, MKS/OKS and Karbonite, and I have no idea how, but it [partially] broke functionality of US parts. Some of the right-click options don't show up unless you launch a craft, return to space center, and the re-load the craft, also, turning on the fuel cell, turning it off, then time warping x amount of time and restarting the fuel cell results in the fuel cell losing an amount of hydrogen and oxygen as if it had been running the entire time you were time warping. not sure what's going.

I didn't even know there exists something like a MM cache ...

@Paul

Anyway, when I wanted to filter all your parts, I couldn't find them via the usual 0.90 method, not with company nor function or module. I ended up with creating a custom category and added the parts myself. Any thoughts?

Hi there, when using the quad core and attached components, I am getting phantom yaw torque. it is very slight when launching the craft, but if I go to the space center and then come back to the craft, the torque rabidly increases until it explodes. I use KJR, among other mods. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Hi there, when using the quad core and attached components, I am getting phantom yaw torque. it is very slight when launching the craft, but if I go to the space center and then come back to the craft, the torque rabidly increases until it explodes. I use KJR, among other mods. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

The mass of the radial parts isn't totally balanced. The modules you have on one side may be heavier than those on the other.

The mass of the radial parts isn't totally balanced. The modules you have on one side may be heavier than those on the other.

Yeah, I've noticed this too, however, I try to balance the radial parts so that theres the same one on the other side, which is probably why I haven't seen that torque problem.

Actually, I'm seeing a torque thing as well, although it's small and easily controllable with SAS or reaction wheel. I think it may be because I'm packing three of those 400 electric charge each batteries into the the science wedge and theres probably a bunch of part clipping. I'm giving it a test with the same design without the universial storage wedges.

Edit: Just checked and I'm seeing the phantom torque without Universial Storage parts, and I, like Praetorian, have KJR, so I'll look into that.

Edited by smjjames

Another question - what conversion factor are you using to determine power/EC values from real world analogues? I know some mods like Interstellar and RO use 1EC/s = 1kW. I'm asking because I'm playing around with different converters and want to make sure EC values line up.

Another question - what conversion factor are you using to determine power/EC values from real world analogues? I know some mods like Interstellar and RO use 1EC/s = 1kW. I'm asking because I'm playing around with different converters and want to make sure EC values line up.

1EC = 33watts. That is based on the stock solar panels, which I picked because the fuel cell needs to be balanced with them to ensure it's not over or underpowered.

Really though the stock EC values badly need balancing which is something I hope they cover in KSP 1.0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.