Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Apologies if I've asked this before and am having a blonde moment. Could the fuel cell gain an on-demand mode, please, where it only operates if ElectricCharge is below some defined amount or percentage of vessel capacity?

It works in 1.01 and the cores haven't changed in 1.0.2 so it should work fine.

Morgan, what version do you have and where did you download it?

Ah sorry, 1.0.90.2 sneaked in somehow.

Hi; just a question about the KIS wedge - it's pretty far up the tech tree in "Advanced Construction" (Tier 5) for a pretty simple wedge.

Just wondering whether it might make sense to move it to "Basic Science" (Tier 4) which is when the KIS wrench also becomes available? In fact, I'd even advocate moving both (I know you're not responsible for the wrench..) to Engineering 101 (Tier 2).

Ditto with the Science Wedge - it's in "Science Tech" (Tier 7) whereas the stock-equivalent part (Service Bay) is in "Survivability" (Tier 3).

Thanks for an awesome mod btw :)

Hi; just a question about the KIS wedge - it's pretty far up the tech tree in "Advanced Construction" (Tier 5) for a pretty simple wedge.

Just wondering whether it might make sense to move it to "Basic Science" (Tier 4) which is when the KIS wrench also becomes available? In fact, I'd even advocate moving both (I know you're not responsible for the wrench..) to Engineering 101 (Tier 2).

Ditto with the Science Wedge - it's in "Science Tech" (Tier 7) whereas the stock-equivalent part (Service Bay) is in "Survivability" (Tier 3).

Plus one on that, I was looking for the empty part and just couldn't find it, also maybe a different name may also help.

Good suggestions. I need to go over the new tech tree and moved things about, which is next on my to-do list (as well as review the costs of parts).

I should have an update mid week with these improvements and a few others.

Micha, I'll review the part names as well.

Good suggestions. I need to go over the new tech tree and moved things about, which is next on my to-do list (as well as review the costs of parts).

I actually am playtesting having moved the KIS Wedge (and spanner) to "General Construction", and the empty Science Wedge to "Engineering 101".

"Basic Science" was already getting pretty full, and KIS makes more sense in the Construction nodes IMHO.

Micha, I'll review the part names as well.

That wasn't me. :D

Given that the US parts are generally better than the stock counterparts - shielded to heat, smaller in many cases - I would request that they be suitably either more expensive or deeper in the tech tree. Otherwise, why bother with the stock ones? If users never use the stock part, that should be a problem. There should always be a case, at some point in the game, that they are a better choice - either because they haven't unlocked the more advance part, or they're smaller/lighter/cheaper/more durable, etc.

Hey Kingtiger, I may have found an issue. I was wondering if it is normal for the Fuel cell to immolate its self? I turned on the Fuel cell to provide some long term power to my ship. But after a couple hours or use, it was about to blow and surrounding cores and wedges (eight in total) were also on their way out. As a source of power it strikes me as odd for it to generate that much heat.

After all fuel cells were used in the Apollo missions (Bacon Cells) and they did not generate that much thermal load.

Hey Kingtiger, I may have found an issue. I was wondering if it is normal for the Fuel cell to immolate its self? I turned on the Fuel cell to provide some long term power to my ship. But after a couple hours or use, it was about to blow and surrounding cores and wedges (eight in total) were also on their way out. As a source of power it strikes me as odd for it to generate that much heat.

After all fuel cells were used in the Apollo missions (Bacon Cells) and they did not generate that much thermal load.

Heat is very much a work in progress, it's a new, sparsely documented system.

Expect some changes there.

Why has the latest version of this mod been released with an out of date version of the Community Resource Pack (CRP 0.3.3 for use on KSP 0.90)?

Latest version is CRP 0.4.0 which was released a few days before your product!!!

Why has the latest version of this mod been released with an out of date version of the Community Resource Pack (CRP 0.3.3 for use on KSP 0.90)?

Latest version is CRP 0.4.0 which was released a few days before your product!!!

+10 points for the accusatory tone Bruce.

I used the latest version at the time of packing everything up for 1.1.0.0, which can be a few days before actual release due to testing and other delays.

If it's causing issues for you with other mods you can download the latest version of CRP and install that until I release a new version of US.

I've got an Alkaline Fuel Cell installed on the Octogrid on my ship and it is basically working just fine but I'm getting one strange result. The fuel cell is generating alot more power then I'm using which might be the issue. Basically, if I turn the fuel cell on and advance time, eventually my ship will get sort of see through with all the attached parts pulsing a reddish-orange and what appears to be health indicators. Can anyone explain what might be going on?

EDIT: Is there any way to modify the fuel cell so it can produce less electricity? I noticed that when you turn it on it says "Fuel Cell: 100.00% load". Maybe a slider that lets you reduce the load if you don't need as much electricity generated?

Edited by chrisl

The bars and pulsing are the indications of parts heating up. They'll pop up long before there's any danger so the radiated heat from the fuel cell isn't melting anything, just heating the place up. (If they are bothersome, F10 will remove the overlay.)

A tweakable to cut the output would be a sweet addition. Most times, I really haven't needed the full output potential and it doesn't seem to auto-throttle when the batteries are full (which can be a good thing for it not to do, as I used it under just such circumstances to produce some emergency water on the way home from Minmus the other day.)

It's not so much that it's annoying. Just didn't realize what was going on. Also, it seems to be causing a memory leak and crash if I let it go too long but I'll try the F10 thing and see if that resolves the issue.

The fuel cell runs at 100% power regardless of how much is being used. This is my understanding of how the Apollo fuel cells worked, they were either on full or off.

It's very easy to have the power cell throttle to the load, although that's not how I designed it. Search for US_1P110_Wedge_Fuelcell.cfg in windows explorer (or equivalent) then edit the file and change the following:

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = ElectricCharge
Ratio = 16
DumpExcess = true
}

Change to:

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = ElectricCharge
Ratio = 16
DumpExcess = false
}

Save and run the game, you should be good to go.

Only reason I was thinking about throttling the load on the fuel cell was to limit its heating since I'm getting a crash if I display the heating for too long. But now that I know about F10, it's not an issue. :)

Only reason I was thinking about throttling the load on the fuel cell was to limit its heating since I'm getting a crash if I display the heating for too long. But now that I know about F10, it's not an issue. :)

The way things are looking I'll be reducing the thermal output of all US processors in the next patch which will help, although I hope squad fix the memory leak ASAP.

Hello ! Sorry for my english if i make somes mistakes.

I just want to notice something i founded out earlier.

I just past 2 hours reinstalling my mods, searching the laggy ones. It appear that it was Universal Storage.

When i launch the game without, i'm 60fps all the times. But as soon i reinstall Universal Storage, i've got FPS leak, dropping to 35, sometimes less. Any idea ? Thanks ! :D

( Btw, i'm using Ckan )

Hello ! Sorry for my english if i make somes mistakes.

I just want to notice something i founded out earlier.

I just past 2 hours reinstalling my mods, searching the laggy ones. It appear that it was Universal Storage.

When i launch the game without, i'm 60fps all the times. But as soon i reinstall Universal Storage, i've got FPS leak, dropping to 35, sometimes less. Any idea ? Thanks ! :D

( Btw, i'm using Ckan )

I haven't noticed this myself, but I'll do some testing and get back to you.

- - - Updated - - -

So USI-LS updated. The DLL name is now "USILifeSupport" instead of just LifeSupport :)

Brilliant! I will push out an update tonight or tomorrow (got some other changes I want to include).

Maybe I've missed it, but are there any empty bays, so I can make my ship all pretty and symmetrical? I suppose I could just put an empty monoprop/fuel can on, but it'd be nice to have a 1 or 2 unit tall empty bay to put modules in from other plugins.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.