Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Your mod has parts that use hydrogen (gas), but have you considered switching to using liquid hydrogen? Specifically "name = LqdHydrogen". This will then make the resource compatible with Near Future Propulsion. There are some posts about this from a while ago, but I'm not sure what the verdict was. Is choosing it to be a gas by design?

If we use liquid hydrogen then we should use liquid oxygen as well, then we loose compatibility with all the life support mods. Ideally I'd like a mod that could handle outputting liquefied gas as liquid or gas, at the right ratios, and you could just about do it with the stock resource system. Hmm, maybe I'll look into that.

Ultimately given several options I went for the state at STP, which is gas for both. It also prevents the fuel cell using tiny fractions per second of usage which helps reduce rounding errors.

It shouldn't be too hard to modulemanager it for NFP compatibility though.

I can't remember if I asked for this before or just thought about it real hard. :) Any possibility on adding a US set of antennas/dishes? That would sure come in handy with all the new re-entry physics.

I'm having two issues.

First, I'm not seeing the jet pack anywhere in the VAB. I see the files for it there, but I'm just not seeing it as something I can access.

Second, Contracts don't seem to recognize the US science parts. I've had this happen with the goo containers, haven't tested the others nor the Dmagic orbital science parts yet.

Next step will be for me to install the mods in a clean version of KSP and see if it still occurs. But I was hoping this was a hurdle already jumped by someone.

I absolutly love this mod but i'm not using community tech tree, i'm using Open Tree.

Is there a ready to use cfg file somewhere ? If i modify the cfg myself, will I break anything ?

CTT isn't required, they just included a .cfg for the option. If you're not running CTT it still works with the stock tree. I'm not familiar with Open tree, but I imagine it should still work.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I'm having two issues.

First, I'm not seeing the jet pack anywhere in the VAB. I see the files for it there, but I'm just not seeing it as something I can access.

Second, Contracts don't seem to recognize the US science parts. I've had this happen with the goo containers, haven't tested the others nor the Dmagic orbital science parts yet.

Next step will be for me to install the mods in a clean version of KSP and see if it still occurs. But I was hoping this was a hurdle already jumped by someone.

Do you have KIS installed? It's a required mod for the EVAx. There aren't any universal storage science parts, those are part of the DMagic orbital science mod, when creates some wedge science experiments if US is installed. I believe the contracts thing is a known issue, but it's worth checking with DMagic, just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't remember if I asked for this before or just thought about it real hard. :) Any possibility on adding a US set of antennas/dishes? That would sure come in handy with all the new re-entry physics.

Universal Storage is feature complete so I don't think we'll be adding any new types of wedges. It's possible DMagic might create some as part of the orbital science pack? Otherwise we'll put it on the consideration list for US2. In the meantime you can fit an antenna in the science bay, this is shielded for FAR, and so far in testing it works for stock as well, at least with launches.

...so far in testing it works for stock as well, at least with launches.

The sure test (no debug menu or crazy reentry required) to see if a cargo bay's shielding works is to put a solar panel in it and try to extend the panel with the cargo bay closed. If the part is shielded, the solar panels won't open. Unfortunately, the US science bay fails that test. I see in the log that ModuleCargoBay complains that "Module ModuleAnimator is not an IScalarModule"; IScalarModule is an interface which (presumably) lets ModuleCargoBay query the closed/open status, and I see from the source that Advanced Animator doesn't inherit from it. (To see an example of a module that implements IScalarModule and works as a target for ModuleCargoBay, check out AnimatedDecouplers.) You'll either have to update AdvancedAnimator (stupid_chris said a while ago -- back in 0.23.5 -- in that thread that he didn't have the time to maintain it anymore) or switch over to ModuleAnimateGeneric (incidentally, TweakableAnimateGeneric from TweakableEverything allows parts with ModuleAnimatedGeneric to be toggled in the editor, so if you take this path, you might include it as a recommended addon).

The sure test (no debug menu or crazy reentry required) to see if a cargo bay's shielding works is to put a solar panel in it and try to extend the panel with the cargo bay closed. If the part is shielded, the solar panels won't open. Unfortunately, the US science bay fails that test. I see in the log that ModuleCargoBay complains that "Module ModuleAnimator is not an IScalarModule"; IScalarModule is an interface which (presumably) lets ModuleCargoBay query the closed/open status, and I see from the source that Advanced Animator doesn't inherit from it. (To see an example of a module that implements IScalarModule and works as a target for ModuleCargoBay, check out AnimatedDecouplers.) You'll either have to update AdvancedAnimator (stupid_chris said a while ago -- back in 0.23.5 -- in that thread that he didn't have the time to maintain it anymore) or switch over to ModuleAnimateGeneric (incidentally, TweakableAnimateGeneric from TweakableEverything allows parts with ModuleAnimatedGeneric to be toggled in the editor, so if you take this path, you might include it as a recommended addon).

Yeah, they've been broken for months :\

I was intending to fix them all to make the mod properly FAR compatible ages ago, but it would have meant remaking everything and breaking save game compatibility (which Paul and I don't really like doing). US2 is going to fix the aero and shielding issues by removing the doors and structure from the wedges, and putting them on an airtight cargobay-esque shroud (with Firespitter as an animation module). This means any future breakages to animation modules will only affect one part (instead of every wedge) and fixes can be made without jeopardizing every single part in the mod. And now that stock cargo bays are a thing (thanks for the info!), we can utilize that too.

Bit more info dotted around the place on the dev blog, if you want to have a look at my plans in further detail :)

I noticed that while you can choose to have the housing in the VAB, if you pull parts from a container and install in flight, they include the casing with not option to turn it off that I can see. So you end up with a mix of wedges with and without the casing. And if you have smaller parts on top/bottom, then all parts are exposed regardless of the casing because the casing is only a side section.

I noticed that while you can choose to have the housing in the VAB, if you pull parts from a container and install in flight, they include the casing with not option to turn it off that I can see. So you end up with a mix of wedges with and without the casing. And if you have smaller parts on top/bottom, then all parts are exposed regardless of the casing because the casing is only a side section.

Yeah KIS seems to reset part animations when things are grabbed, which is how the structure on\off tweaks work. Not sure how to fix that now, but US2 is going to redo how the structures work anyway so sit tight for that :)

Ultimately given several options I went for the state at STP, which is gas for both. It also prevents the fuel cell using tiny fractions per second of usage which helps reduce rounding errors.

It shouldn't be too hard to modulemanager it for NFP compatibility though.

Anybody banged out a MM patch for this? I checked with weight and a rough conversion would be LqdHydrogen to Hydrogen about 1/10. Not going to mess with oxygen as I use TAC and assume it's stored as a liquid (I don't do real fuels, just stock fuels + LqdHydrogen). If not I'm going to work on one now.

new models for the Sabatier and Electron

does the image on page one reflect those changes?

sorry, I have so many mods I don't notice changes.

well, that and I'm old and my eyes are shot ;)

edit: also I just noticed CKAN hasn't received the update info yet

So what's the deal with the load %? I ran an Elektron at 100% load (three Kerbals) and in a very short time it heated up and exploded. Do they need to run below 100% (aka more parts) to keep cool?

Not sure, especially with all the new changes Squad's made in the last day with 1.0.3 \ 1.0.4. What parts were attached next to the Elektron?

does the image on page one reflect those changes?

sorry, I have so many mods I don't notice changes.

well, that and I'm old and my eyes are shot ;)

No sorry, that render has been out of date for months! We had some preview images of the revisions a few pages back :)

h5YGMZF.png

5tx2UCp.png

CKAN usually takes 24 hours to update. It's entirely automated and out of my hands.

- - - Updated - - -

So what's the deal with the load %? I ran an Elektron at 100% load (three Kerbals) and in a very short time it heated up and exploded. Do they need to run below 100% (aka more parts) to keep cool?

I need to do a lot more testing on heat, especially with the new changes in 1.0.3. It helps that there are now stock radiators, which gives me a head start for balancing.

However I expect the Elektron and Sabatier to overheat without some cooling, both those units have to heat resources to very high temperatures to work, which you then need to get rid of.

The new stock radiators that take heat from all around the craft will really help with this and I plan to buff the radiate quality of the US wedges, but large parts will need external cooling.

No sorry, that render has been out of date for months! We had some preview images of the revisions a few pages back :)

thanks for the images.

CKAN usually takes 24 hours to update. It's entirely automated and out of my hands.

gotcha.

Thanks for a wonderful mod and your continued work on it!

Since this new update, I've had two copies of every single Universal Storage part in the VAB. Then when I line up the attachment nodes and go to attach it, the node on the US part and the part to which I want to attach it both disappear, and it can't be attached. Anyone else experience these issues or know a potential fix?

Since this new update, I've had two copies of every single Universal Storage part in the VAB. Then when I line up the attachment nodes and go to attach it, the node on the US part and the part to which I want to attach it both disappear, and it can't be attached. Anyone else experience these issues or know a potential fix?

What sort of game are you playing, carrer, or sandbox?

Hi, I'm having a slight issue with my quad cores as they are frequently exploding on reentry. I'm checking the temps on the way in with Ker Eng which highlights the parts with critical temp, however it doesn't list the core. Once i'm almost landed (past the aero/heating) one of the cores normally explodes.

Not sure if its a universal storage issue or something else. Guessing by the lack of mentions of this issue in here that no one else has been seeing this?

Mods: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9tbpkv9kxb8f96/Mods.txt?dl=0

Output: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pltdg4nc31zsd9q/output_log.txt?dl=0

Thanks

This is a stock bug with storage bays that open. It only seems to take effect with Universal storage when you have the Universal Storage: Science Bay attached, at least in my testing that was the only time I had the quad core blow up.

Hopefully a hotfix will fix this soon, because its super annoying.

I've just done a load of tests and it seems to only happen if I hit 4x warp either during or after the heating/aero. If I leave it without warp or 2/3x its fine.

This is a stock bug with storage bays that open. It only seems to take effect with Universal storage when you have the Universal Storage: Science Bay attached, at least in my testing that was the only time I had the quad core blow up.

Hopefully a hotfix will fix this soon, because its super annoying.

Ah ok thanks (has it only just appeared since 1.0.3/4? since it was fine before then), I'll try removing the sci bay and retest :)

Edit: The core is still blowing without the sci bay attached. Guess I just cant warp through reentry anymore.

Edited by Torih

I've just done a load of tests and it seems to only happen if I hit 4x warp either during or after the heating/aero. If I leave it without warp or 2/3x its fine.

Ah ok thanks (has it only just appeared since 1.0.3/4? since it was fine before then), I'll try removing the sci bay and retest :)

Edit: The core is still blowing without the sci bay attached. Guess I just cant warp through reentry anymore.

I'm seeing something very similar with all three of the cords (hex quad and octo). They explode at any physics warp during flight. Not on the pad, but in either atmospheric or space flight. Thrust doesn't seem to matter. It may have something to do with KJR, I'm going to test without KJR tonight when I get back from work. (1.04)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.