Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

19 hours ago, Mystique said:

Since 1.3 one of my ships fails to load, saying that missing "us.1r110.wedge.kiscontainer". When I search for it in game folder, I find GameData\UniversalStorage\Parts\US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer folder with files KASContainer.dds, model.mu and US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer.cfg. At first look it seems that part should be there, but not detected on loading savegame.

In save's persistent.sfs I found record: "...

PART
            {
                name = US.1R110.Wedge.KISContainer
...", 

while in US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer.cfg I see "name = US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer".

Could it be that naming changed after update and game can't like part from mod's folder to existing vessel?

The parts haven't been renamed since before KSP V1.0, so I'm not sure how this happened.  What version did you have before because US 1.3 is identical to US 1.2, the only difference being the version files for AVC.

19 hours ago, Mystique said:

Since 1.3 one of my ships fails to load, saying that missing "us.1r110.wedge.kiscontainer". When I search for it in game folder, I find GameData\UniversalStorage\Parts\US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer folder with files KASContainer.dds, model.mu and US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer.cfg. At first look it seems that part should be there, but not detected on loading savegame.

In save's persistent.sfs I found record: "...

PART
            {
                name = US.1R110.Wedge.KISContainer
...", 

while in US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer.cfg I see "name = US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer".

Could it be that naming changed after update and game can't like part from mod's folder to existing vessel?

The underscores to periods thing I believe is normal - check other parts with underscores in their names.  (I know there are a couple of places where KSP won't use underscores in names - so periods get subbed in.)

On 6/23/2017 at 7:44 PM, Paul Kingtiger said:

The parts haven't been renamed since before KSP V1.0, so I'm not sure how this happened.  What version did you have before because US 1.3 is identical to US 1.2, the only difference being the version files for AVC.

Should've been 1.2 (I'm updates via CKAN regularly). I've had an issue of crash during loading since KSP 1.3, was sorta solved by rolling back module manager to 2.7.6 (last 1.2.x version). Game launched normally, but I can see that strange things happening (like kerbonauts in main menu got some strange parts on their backs instead of normal EVA backpacks), perhaps, it's also MM version-related problem. Couldn't launch KSP 1.3 with MM 2.8 (though it launches well w/o mods and w/o MM and all those mods that are using it). Will try to play with mods and MM around, perhaps it's actually my local issue.

On 2017-5-4 at 9:01 PM, MaxZhao said:

1. It's compatible with kerbalism. 

2. Dunno what that is

@Paul Kingtiger I've been using your newly updated 64k together with universal storage and dmagic, There are some issues since universal storage goo observation and orbital telescope observation keeps prompting that experiments a re not safe to be carried out although I'm already in space. Could you have a look and see if this happens to you too? If you need more info please ask! Thanks a lot for your work!

Can confirm the above. Issue with parts having science moved and then reset by automated science sampler for example

On 6/29/2017 at 7:30 PM, razmachaz_69 said:

Can confirm the above. Issue with parts having science moved and then reset by automated science sampler for example

Universal storage goo observation and orbital telescope observation parts are part of the @Dmagic orbital science mod, so I can't help you with those, but he should be able to.

On 2/23/2017 at 7:44 PM, Morashtak said:

re: EVA-X config (as well as all other parts having this entry)

equipSlot = jetpack
            equipMode = part
            equipSlot = <null>
            equipSkill = <null>

That last line..... what is <null> skill?  And if it is there to be used once a Kerbal has attained said skill, what are the requirements to attain it?

Or can we just remove this altogether as I have done and can now equip the pack (and other parts) in both sandbox and career?

thanks

Came here looking for this, ditto thanks. Although why you tried that first, I don't know. Opening the config file the first thing I would have changed is this:

name = ModuleKISItem
			shortcutKeyAction = drop
			useName = use
		===>usableFromEva = false
			usableFromContainer = false

Was that the only change? I removed those two NVPs and I still get no equip option either from the KIS storage container I brought them in or in a Kerbal's inventory.

Oh, BTW, if you drop an EVA-X on Minmus, it very slowly sinks into the ground... and then explodes for no reason. Amusement factor canceled out annoyance at still not being able to use them.

Edited by vossiewulf

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

First of all, I'd like to thank you for this mod. This is great! It really improves the gameplay and I really appreciate your work.

I just have a balance issue with kerbalism. I know that this mod is not supported, but still I'd like to share an unbalance impression that I have. The food, oxygen and other supplies that are vital for my missions store a lot less than their counterparts. I don't know if this issue is due to the unbalance in kerbalism or in this mod. Taking a look in the .cfg files of kerbalism parts, I saw that they are defined in ContainerVolume, not in specific resource. Don't know if that help. I would rebalance myself, but I don't know how to make it fair.

By the way, I saw a lot of request of compatibility with kerbalism, hope that I'm not liquiding you off guys!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have Universal Storage, KAS/KIS, and Community Tech Tree installed, and I can't seem to find the EVA-X in the tech tree.

From the config file it seems it should be in Advanced Exploration, but in game it is not. I can only access it in Sandbox mode, even if I use the cheat to unlock all technology.

I fixed it. There is a config file that activated when CTT is installed that changes the node it is in from advExploration to advancedExploration, which CTT does not use. Editing that fixed it.

Edited by Zekario

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 0:10 PM, Mateus Kerchiado said:

I just have a balance issue with kerbalism. I know that this mod is not supported, but still I'd like to share an unbalance impression that I have. The food, oxygen and other supplies that are vital for my missions store a lot less than their counterparts. I don't know if this issue is due to the unbalance in kerbalism or in this mod. 

I guarantee you the imbalance is in Kerbalism. @Paul Kingtiger went through an extensive process to create realistic values for Universal Storage based on actual science (TAC-LS did the same) - in large part based on NASA's own ECLSS documents. It might also have something to do with consumption rates in Kerbalism.

In general, if you're dealing with TAC-LS or Universal Storage, it's based on reality and extensively fact-checked. USI is just as rigorous, but RoverDude tweaked some values for game balance over "reality". WildBlue (Pathfinder) is really close - and I think all of those are relying on the values in CRP - the Community Resource Pack, which is based entirely off real physical values that most modders have agreed to. Kerbalism does not use CRP, and I'm not surprised that Kerbalism isn't matching up.

Note: I am a fan of Kerbalism, but it doesn't play well with other mods, so I don't mix and match with other LS systems, or mods which stores LS resources.

14 hours ago, panarchist said:

I guarantee you the imbalance is in Kerbalism. @Paul Kingtiger went through an extensive process to create realistic values for Universal Storage based on actual science (TAC-LS did the same) - in large part based on NASA's own ECLSS documents. It might also have something to do with consumption rates in Kerbalism.

I'm not saying this is what is to blame here, especially since the OP isn't clear on whether it's the US parts that are too small or the Kerbalism parts, but one potential problem is that TACLS by default has realistic consumption for tiny kerbal bodies. There could easily be a mismatch with a mod intended to have realistic mass requirements for life support for humans.

18 minutes ago, damerell said:

I'm not saying this is what is to blame here, especially since the OP isn't clear on whether it's the US parts that are too small or the Kerbalism parts, but one potential problem is that TACLS by default has realistic consumption for tiny kerbal bodies. There could easily be a mismatch with a mod intended to have realistic mass requirements for life support for humans.

TAC-LS isn't relevant in this case, I was using it as an example of a mod which is rigorous and uses real physics. Kerbalism uses its own integrated LS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 3:10 PM, Mateus Kerchiado said:

First of all, I'd like to thank you for this mod. This is great! It really improves the gameplay and I really appreciate your work.

I just have a balance issue with kerbalism. I know that this mod is not supported, but still I'd like to share an unbalance impression that I have. The food, oxygen and other supplies that are vital for my missions store a lot less than their counterparts. I don't know if this issue is due to the unbalance in kerbalism or in this mod. Taking a look in the .cfg files of kerbalism parts, I saw that they are defined in ContainerVolume, not in specific resource. Don't know if that help. I would rebalance myself, but I don't know how to make it fair.

By the way, I saw a lot of request of compatibility with kerbalism, hope that I'm not liquiding you off guys!

The US parts are balanced based on their physical dimensions and how much resource can be stored in that space (allowing for compressibility of gasses).  These are based off real world values where available. The result is that with recyclers, food is the limiting factor (which seems to be the story in real world isolated environments like space craft and submarines).

With US 2, which will support Kerbalism, we're taking a slightly different approach and balancing against stock so everything works better in game.  But I'll include optional real world balance for people who want to use it (all the hard work is already done).  The biggest difference between the two approaches will be weight and cost as those are the two primary factors in a space craft.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its a great mod... and I didn't find problems with it until now. But, I've a question you could probably answer. Is there a reason, why you don't have some kind of carbon dioxide filter or extractor module? ... or, can you tell me what I do with "liquid fuel" without "oxidizer"? after extracting the carbon with a sabatier reactor? ... what's the point I'm not seeing?

Edited by Rudolf Meier

12 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

Its a great mod... and I didn't find problems with it until now. But, I've a question you could probably answer. Is there a reason, why you don't have some kind of carbon dioxide filter or extractor module? ... or, can you tell me what I do with "liquid fuel" without "oxidizer"? after extracting the carbon with a sabatier reactor? ... what's the point I'm not seeing?

I think to a degree there's an expectation that life support mods with carbon dioxide supply their own air recyclers, and perhaps they vary enough that Universal Storage can't have one that's a sensible fit with all the mods you might use it with.

LF by itself can be used with jets on Laythe (or Kerbin) but also works without oxidiser in NTRs such as the LV-N.

6 hours ago, damerell said:

I think to a degree there's an expectation that life support mods with carbon dioxide supply their own air recyclers, and perhaps they vary enough that Universal Storage can't have one that's a sensible fit with all the mods you might use it with.

LF by itself can be used with jets on Laythe (or Kerbin) but also works without oxidiser in NTRs such as the LV-N.

Well... I only thought... because all other things like the water purifyer are available. Maybe I'll build a fuel cell that runs with liquid fuel and oxygen instead of "oxydizer" ... but I'd have to calculate the ratios first so that it makes sense... we'll see... or maybe something like the space shuttle's RCRS ? but here too I'd have to calculate the ratios :-) and I'm currently working on an other mod

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 9:26 PM, Smurfalot said:

Just to clarify 1.3.x means it should work with 1.3.1, yes?

Yes it will work with all version of 1.3.  We haven't had to make any changes for a while now, the KSP code base is pretty static.

We will likely update Universal Storage to the final version when we release US2, it's unlikely to be supported after that because I'm sure everyone will want to use the new, better version.  There will be some overlap though to allow people to carry on existing campaigns, or maybe install both to keep current designs working while allowing you to build new craft with the new parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.