Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

http://i.imgur.com/8bjwIG9.jpg

Just a teaser - future updates will include the ability to toggle the external structure off in the VAB before launch. Use this to set up stocked trusses full of equipment for realistic space stations, reserving the protective structural shell for service modules or sleeker craft :)

http://i.imgur.com/SSkFh9q.jpg

One more part to make until the ECLSS release, check the development thread to follow my progress.

How would this work, if you used KAS to attach a part to it that still had the shell, at some later date? Would it retain the shell, because each individual part is coded for shell-less-ness, or would it lose it, because the core is coded to lose the shell of attached parts? Does that make sense?

Hehe, kerbal engineering indeed :D

(On the other hand, it's not like we have solar radiation in game anyway,

I seem to recall someone taking a 2HOT Thermometer very close to the sun, and it still read very little. Hmm, seem to have found something here and here).

-

Kolbjorn

Yeah, the game needs a bit of polishing in areas - temp is terribly inconsistent :|

How would this work, if you used KAS to attach a part to it that still had the shell, at some later date? Would it retain the shell, because each individual part is coded for shell-less-ness, or would it lose it, because the core is coded to lose the shell of attached parts? Does that make sense?

The "shell"\structual exterior is toggable on a individual part basis, just like the hatch door, or a extendable antenna. The mesh of each part is divided into nested heirachies, which are then scaled to 0% and assigned to a reversable 1 frame animation. So it essentially disappears from the game, but not permanently :)

Can't you make them work like the standard KAS containers? Only in reverse. Like, the protective covering would have the

That may however also require a two-part system.

{
name = KASModulePartBay
BAY
{
attachNode = top
type = containerA
type = containerB
}
}
MODULE

Not sure (Paul does all of that stuff) but this way works pretty well for added variation with little to no extra nodes or performance hits. KAS still works regardless of what you choose.

Not sure (Paul does all of that stuff) but this way works pretty well for added variation with little to no extra nodes or performance hits. KAS still works regardless of what you choose.

Really do whatever you feel is best. I'm just looking at this from an RP perspective.

Also (having not used your decouplers do to their node weirdness and not really getting a chance to outright use a fuel cell yet, I'm shooting this blind), can you make the wedges decouple-able from inside the core?

I'm imagining this scenario where one of the wedges fails and the crew needs to ditch it...

I'm imagining this scenario where one of the wedges fails and the crew needs to ditch it...

In that situation, if you have KAS installed, you could go on EVA and remove the wedge then drop it.

But there's no way to do it without EVA. I mean you could modify the parts to make this happen, but I don't think we'll do it for game play reasons. Not only does it clutter up the UI but it also removes a good reason to go on EVA and IMO the game needs more of those.

In that situation, if you have KAS installed, you could go on EVA and remove the wedge then drop it.

But there's no way to do it without EVA. I mean you could modify the parts to make this happen, but I don't think we'll do it for game play reasons. Not only does it clutter up the UI but it also removes a good reason to go on EVA and IMO the game needs more of those.

Granted, but maybe there were outstanding circumstances like the airlock being damaged? Or maybe the KAS release-a-ma-bobby is broken...

If there were random failures in KSP, I mean...

If you have the external shell removed, does that reduce the weight? Or is it just aesthetic only?

Not at the moment, but if we work out how to modify mass without touching resource quantities, we could :)

Granted, but maybe there were outstanding circumstances like the airlock being damaged? Or maybe the KAS release-a-ma-bobby is broken...

If there were random failures in KSP, I mean...

You can assign an action group to release a whole hub of wedges (or right click it, but if its full its kinda impossible), but yeah you cant release individual ones without turning them into single-shot decouplers, and we dont want to go there. EVA maintenance only :)

I'd love to implement random failures sometime, but that's really a job for another mod.

It works fine for me. Watch the end of Paul's video in the OP from 4.00 mins on, and you'll see they snap in pretty perfectly. The hubs work with KASModulePartbay code, so wedges only attach to the bay node closest to the Kerbal.

One drawback to removing the wedge in EVA is putting it back KAS really not setup to put things like that back where they go.

We've set them up as containers and the cores as bays, so the wedges go back perfectly every time (using the nodes to attach not surface). Give it a try.

You might wanna take care of this, if possible...

http://i.imgur.com/J73fLmk.png

There's a tiny little gap between the US core and the battery... Really drives a nail through my OCD...

That's the batteries fault. :|

Just checked it with every other 2m part, our parts connect fine with no gap. The nodes for the large z4k battery and the top of the science lab are slightly off, that's all. Might have to go into their cfgs and tweak them yourself if it bothers you.

sepbfty.jpg

That's the batteries fault. :|

Just checked it with every other 2m part, our parts connect fine with no gap. The nodes for the large z4k battery and the top of the science lab are slightly off, that's all. Might have to go into their cfgs and tweak them yourself if it bothers you.

http://i.imgur.com/sepbfty.jpg

Nah... I'm not messing around with nodes, that's a bit too much for my skills...

And sorry for jumping on this...

Nah... I'm not messing around with nodes, that's a bit too much for my skills...

And sorry for jumping on this...

S'ok.

Its not too hard though, most .cfg files have guide text telling you what each node is. All you do is back up the original, tweak a value, save it, reload the game, check what it looks like in the editor, rinse and repeat. Alt-12 "Reload Database" is handy, prevents you from having to restart the game every time you want to reload the tweaks to your assets. Paul showed me that :)

There's a bunch of stock parts with nodes not in the right place. It's annoying :(

Stock parts are really inconsistent about this. And it's not just nodes, radial attachment is all over the place, making it impossible to configure the nodes on your parts so that they attach to everything correctly. It would be easy, though tedious, to fix all of the stock node positions, but I don't think there's anything you could do about the colliders that determine where radial parts attach.

Stock parts are really inconsistent about this. And it's not just nodes, radial attachment is all over the place, making it impossible to configure the nodes on your parts so that they attach to everything correctly. It would be easy, though tedious, to fix all of the stock node positions, but I don't think there's anything you could do about the colliders that determine where radial parts attach.

Why do I foresee a night where I just give up and let my pepsi-fueled OCD lay waste to nodes that bug and irk me with my all-mighty ModuleManager "fixer-upper"...

Hi could you maybe provide a slice which supports all/some experiments? Maybe one, which supports all the repeatable ones and one for each not repeatable.

We do have science experiment compatible wedges on our roadmap, although we aren't currently working on it.

Quick question- if I change around the oxygen values in your resource config to match TAC's, would that break anything? I'm assuming it will mess with your intended efficiency of the fuel cell, but otherwise- is there anything else I need to worry about?

As to why I'm interested- Having both TAC and your oxygen tanks on the same vessel makes weird things happen to the life-support calculations...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.