Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

I have been looking at your mod and I was wondering, would there be any plans to add wedges for Mono Prop. or Fuel? I know we have a number of tanks in the base game, but for certain applications I have has to use the micro tanks when a tank system like this would be perfect. Like for a SSTO where I need a small amount of Fuel but then a normal amount of Fuel & Oxidizer. Or for a probe where a small amount of fuel is needed, and a normal tank is overkill.

Yep, and yep :) They were supposed to be released by now, but life got in the way. They're essentially finished, so they'll be part of the next update before the TAC pack and 0.8 are released.

Then 0.9 should be adapter\mounting plates and redone decouplers, and 1.0 should be polishing and the final build.

Edited by Daishi

Yep, and yep :) They were supposed to be released by now, but life got in the way. They're essentially finished, so they'll be part of the next update before the TAC pack and 0.8 are released.

Then 0.9 should be adapter\mounting plates and redone decouplers, and 1.0 should be polishing and the final build.

Nice, good to know. And yeah life can be such a pain in the *. I look forward to using this once KSP updates again...I hope prices will not be to bad, since rockets will more then likely require money soon. At least in career mode.

Any possibility of other tanks? Kethane, Resources for Modular Kolonization/Universal Resources API, stuff like that? Sorry, they are mods I use so...curiosity. Sorry if it has been covered, the thread is long and the 3 year old in the background is getting into trouble.

Though...I do have a thought...a "Blister Wedge". Like the Science Wedge you have shown, but this extends out further creating an extended area. When activated, it opens into a larger bay that can contain assemblies, probes...things like that. While there are many mods that add inline bays, it would be something interesting to have a set of four wedges with relatively equal space to a 1.25m bay.

Finally, and I would guess this has also been thought about, but are there plans for a 2.5m quad bracket with larger wedges for added punch?

Edited by SyberSmoke

Nice, good to know. And yeah life can be such a pain in the *. I look forward to using this once KSP updates again...I hope prices will not be to bad, since rockets will more then likely require money soon. At least in career mode.

Hard to say about the pricing, we have no idea if Squad are going to overhaul the system, so its tricky to know how expensive our parts should be. Naturally the converters and fuel cells are going to be expensive equipment, but for everything else, that's anyone's guess.

We are really keen on mixing Universal Storage in with Ippo's brilliant part-failure mod, so one day we might have tank quality linked with price (so higher capacity\highly pressurized tanks cost a ton, but may be more prone to leaking). Or, depending how fuel works with contracts - have the contents of our parts linked to the overall cost (so you only half-fill your O2 tanks to save money).

Any possibility of other tanks? Kethane, Resources for Modular Kolonization/Universal Resources API, stuff like that? Sorry, they are mods I use so...curiosity. Sorry if it has been covered, the thread is long and the 3 year old in the background is getting into trouble.

Though...I do have a thought...a "Blister Wedge". Like the Science Wedge you have shown, but this extends out further creating an extended area. When activated, it opens into a larger bay that can contain assemblies, probes...things like that. While there are many mods that add inline bays, it would be something interesting to have a set of four wedges with relatively equal space to a 1.25m bay.

Finally, and I would guess this has also been thought about, but are there plans for a 2.5m quad bracket with larger wedges for added punch?

Don't know about other tanks - maybe after TAC and 1.0? Kinda want to keep focused on the original point of this mod (nice TAC parts) so other parts may have to take a back seat. Paul is the go-to guy for cross-mod compatibility though, i wouldn't know where to start with ModuleManager.

Not sure what you mean with the Blister concept, something similar to Nothke's 6S tubes, but with snap-on walls\hatches around its exterior? I don't think a large cargo bay would be in the scope of US, but I might make one later on in a similar style.

We probably won't do that 2.5m quad bracket - that would mean making larger versions of everything, doubling the mod's part count, and increasing my workload for a minimal gain. You could always rescale the quadcore and the wedges by 2 (its easy enough in the .cfg) and then adjust the resource amounts yourself. It might make KAS attachment a little awkward for the Kerbals though :)

Edited by Daishi

Sorry, I was using a military term. Hurm...ok a "Blister" is usually defined as a protrusion used to mount AA weapons or as a additional area attached to the hull to the detonation of torpedo's.

Wiki Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-torpedo_bulge

Any way the idea I had in mind would be equivalent to mounting a dual or quad coupling and running 1.25m cargo bays vertically. The thought would be that small probes or special gear could be added into a larger bay. Any way just a thought to give a little more room for small craft in ships. I kind of like the thought of opening a bay and launching a probe out of it as I orbit some planet instead of having it duct taped to the ship.

Ok, enough out of me, back to cooking my chicken soup from scratch.

Sorry, I was using a military term. Hurm...ok a "Blister" is usually defined as a protrusion used to mount AA weapons or as a additional area attached to the hull to the detonation of torpedo's.

Wiki Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-torpedo_bulge

Any way the idea I had in mind would be equivalent to mounting a dual or quad coupling and running 1.25m cargo bays vertically. The thought would be that small probes or special gear could be added into a larger bay. Any way just a thought to give a little more room for small craft in ships. I kind of like the thought of opening a bay and launching a probe out of it as I orbit some planet instead of having it duct taped to the ship.

Ok, enough out of me, back to cooking my chicken soup from scratch.

This mod's 1.25m cargo bays may be able to this for you?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84224-Klockheed-Martian-Special-Parts-V0-2-30-June-2014-Development-thread

Those are nice parts, but my thought process was more towards being able to place the bays off center as a wedge, that way you could have four bays in a single area and open them/deploy payloads with out needing to make them all in line. And I do know that the bay could be used with the double, triple, and quad adapter, but then you can not merge them back into the stack as another like adapter would only connect to one connection node. Something I have tried and...well it did not end well.

It is one reason I asked if a Quad Wedge 2.5m was in the works as it would be also interesting to have bays for that scale...heck may be only have bays for it. Eah that would be a lot of work for just one item...a waste of time unless it were to be built up more.

OK, So after a few minutes of thought and so fast photoshop work. Here is my thought in pictorial form. It is nothing fancy, but should explain the thought better.

3AYPO0J.png

Hi Smoke,

There are no plans at the moment to do wedges in other sizes or blister style wedges. One of our original goals was the use a modular system to keep the part count low.

Introducing new size wedges would mean doubling the part count, unless we only built a selection in the new size. But you can guarantee whatever parts we selected for the new size, we'd leave out some that people wanted.

I did take a look at a radial core that you could attach to the side of a rocket but it just didn't work with our wedges.

A modular, side mounted system would be cool, but it would be a whole new mod.

The thought was just for two added parts, a larger bay and a cowling for over under the bay and offer a different attachment point option. But I understand the desire to keep part count low so, thank for the consideration.

Edited by SyberSmoke

I came in at the tail end of this so excuse me if I totally misunderstood, but I think it would be very nice to have simply an alternate version of the Empty Storage bay wedge with the sor of blister protrusion mentioned. This would be only one part, and the purpose would be to allow the mounting of longer pieces that currently tend to stick out on the existing storage bay.

I totally agree with smoke, in fact that's the exact reason why i came here to post. i love the small wedges but i want more room for larger parts and a 2.5m quad wedge would be perfect.

I also wanted to say i cant wait for the TAC life pack to come and im hoping for more pack mod integration. (hint hint KSPI)

TweakScale makes little sense for this mod, the only multi-sized modules are the hubs, and there's two of them, and the differences are more than just the scale.

Also if I see another request for TweakScale on a mod that is mostly very different, unique parts I'm going to start a Kickstarter drive for the TweakScale developer to take away their mod. It's actually pretty great, but apparently humanity isn't ready for it.

I requested TweakScale support because I play RSS/RO and it would be super handy to be able to make sections of the right radius -- scale up the center bit, then scale up the containers to match. I don't see how this is such a horrible idea.

TweakScale makes little sense for this mod, the only multi-sized modules are the hubs, and there's two of them, and the differences are more than just the scale.

Also if I see another request for TweakScale on a mod that is mostly very different, unique parts I'm going to start a Kickstarter drive for the TweakScale developer to take away their mod. It's actually pretty great, but apparently humanity isn't ready for it.

Yes your right we don't need larger containers we can just spam 500 of them which is how it works right now.....

When you have lots of unique parts its far better to be able to scale them then to waste memory adding extra parts for the different sizes.

Edited by Donziboy2

any idea when TAC Life Support will be used with this?

Soon â„¢

more letters

Can't wait! I've actually been putting off installing TAC at all until this is ready.

Pretty sure most RSS people actually change part configs. It's a very specific use case, anyway.

As for spamming 500 parts, I'm pretty sure that for bulk storage of resources you're better off with this or this, and this if you really need lots and lots of power generation, instead of trying to force the mod into something it isn't.

Pretty sure most RSS people actually change part configs. It's a very specific use case, anyway.

As for spamming 500 parts, I'm pretty sure that for bulk storage of resources you're better off with this or this, and this if you really need lots and lots of power generation, instead of trying to force the mod into something it isn't.

True enough, There are mods out there that offer a better solution for storage. And if more storage is needed, then your either not being imaginative enough, or you do not have the right parts. I have been using and like this mod...TACLS goes a little haywire with the O2 tanks...something about negative oxygen values...but hey I never run out now (Chuckle).

As to the developers, sorry if my suggestions made you all a little more frustrated. I have worked with mod devs before and know that people throw out allot of good thoughts, but this is not a job and time is limited. So it can be frustrating...It is frustrating for us also because we see the potencial in a mod for interesting designs for ships and they just do not fit into the long term plans of the mod.

Any way I said my thought, I see the point. If you want to discuss for clarity what I meant feel free to PM me. Have a good one guys and keep it going.

With the new pre-releace do I still need the Real TAC patch?

The only parts of the pack which are going to have any relevance now that TAC proper has made the change are the three parts I included. They might need to have their rates adjusted, but beyond those, everything else that I did with that mod is being taken care of with the new update to TACLS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.