Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

I must have a mod conflict somewhere. All of my US science parts do nothing when you say "deploy", and if you look at them from above or below in the VAB -- they are all empty (as in they all look like the science storage container with no internal items). They also do not capture any data or science when you tell them to (nothing pops up at all). I have tried re-installing a couple times now with no success.

Will have to start peeling other mods back one layer at at time until it fixed it I suppose; was just wondering if anyone else had experienced similar issues.

Thanks for doing all this, you are a star!

The auto stop works perfectly!

The rounding issue is still there, although it's different to the stock generator.

In stock you've have to accelerate time to x50 to get it to work. With yours you only have to go to x5

However you can't get around it by adding additional inputs but giving it back as an output like I did with stock.

It appears to be handling small fractions fine for me. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you? Granted, it takes a VERY long time, since the rate is in units/second. I used a value of rate = 0.00036 as you had in your earlier post, which takes about 5 minutes at 1x to see a difference of 0.01.

I'm also explicitly converting things to double values, which might be why.

Another limitation is that I'm using the stock GeneratorResource, which has rate as a float value (0.000036 is fine for that). I'll make a custom one with doubles real quick.

I must have a mod conflict somewhere. All of my US science parts do nothing when you say "deploy", and if you look at them from above or below in the VAB -- they are all empty (as in they all look like the science storage container with no internal items). They also do not capture any data or science when you tell them to (nothing pops up at all). I have tried re-installing a couple times now with no success.

Will have to start peeling other mods back one layer at at time until it fixed it I suppose; was just wondering if anyone else had experienced similar issues.

We don't have any science parts. Do you mean the DMagic Science wedges?

It appears to be handling small fractions fine for me. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you? Granted, it takes a VERY long time, since the rate is in units/second. I used a value of rate = 0.00036 as you had in your earlier post, which takes about 5 minutes at 1x to see a difference of 0.01.

I'm also explicitly converting things to double values, which might be why.

Another limitation is that I'm using the stock GeneratorResource, which has rate as a float value (0.000036 is fine for that). I'll make a custom one with doubles real quick.

0.0000072142 is the smallest which is the liquidfuel output of the Sabatier reactor. I could round that up a little if I had to.

I'm using 64bit KSP for windows, are you on the same?

Also there were too .dll files in the onedrive link, which one should I be using? I've got ModuleResourceConverter.dll

I'll do some more testing and check the other converters for fraction sizes.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Edit: I am using 64bit KSP on windows :)

Yeah, it should be ModuleResourceConverter.dll

I uploaded everything to a bitbucket repo.

ModuleResourceConverter.dll

Source Code

example part.cfg:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleResourceConverter
deactivateIfFull = true //--optional, defaults to true (I recommend you leave it true. Otherwise, it'll continue to eat resources)
deactivateIfEmpty = false //--optional, defaults to false (If true, it will deactivate if there isn't enough of something. If false, it will continue to operate, albeit at a slower rate set by the limiting reagent)
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 22
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
rate = 0.000036
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = MonoPropellant
rate = 0.0448
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
rate = 0.0224
}
}

Edited by okbillybunnyface
changed part.cfg to be the same as the one I used in the video

Are there any dependencies or requirements for files to be in set places?

I've taken a fresh install of KSP, 64bit. Added the US core pack, then copied and pasted the code above into the Elektron part.

The game sticks at that part when loading KSP.

I'll get you some more detail and load a video tomorrow.

Are there any dependencies or requirements for files to be in set places?

I've taken a fresh install of KSP, 64bit. Added the US core pack, then copied and pasted the code above into the Elektron part.

The game sticks at that part when loading KSP.

I'll get you some more detail and load a video tomorrow.

Show me the part.cfg?

Did a bunch of testing before work. A test part with your config file above works perfectly :)

But it's not working with the US storage parts. I think the issue is either using custom resources (I don't see why this should matter though) or it's a cross feed problem with the US parts. I need to do mor testing but I've run out of time, will try and come back to it tonight.

EDIT

I must have been doing something stupid in the part.cfg file because going through everything step by step it's now working, it's brilliant, and so are you!

:D

I will get a new version released tonight when I get to my hotel.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

I've been doing some testing myself with it. I've got a newer version that I need to give you. The one you have has a tendency to think it's full when it's empty (and deactivate if deactivateIfEmpty is true). I also added a few things, and hopefully improved any potential shenanigans with resource transfer (the part.RequestResource() method) by adding in a minimum transfer amount.

For inputs, it only requests the minimum transfer if the rate is lower than that, and just waits until it runs out to call it again. If the rate is lower than the minimum, it'll show up on the GUI with occasional blips of 0.0001.

With outputs, it stockpiles the resource until it gets more than the minimum, then transfers all of it to the vessel.

I also added a canOverflow parameter, which if set to false will stop the converter from running (but won't deactivate it) if there's nowhere to put something. This should take some micromanaging out of it if you're using something at a slower rate than the converter is producing it.

There's also a new "Status" field in the part's context menu which will read "Deactivated", "Nominal", "Overflowing!", or "Underflowing!" depending on its activation state, and whether there is a bottleneck somewhere.

Edit: The new one works amazingly at anything below 10,000x warp. For some reason, it fails pretty bad after that. :\

Edited by okbillybunnyface

i Saw earlier in the thread that the TAC parts were on hold till TAC switched from the 1 unit/day format, which the new 0.9 TAC prerelease does. any hints on what to expect from the TAC parts pack? love this mod, as it makes my rockets much nicer to look at, as well as adding lots of good functionality

I am going to have so much fun with this mod! thank you so much for creating this!

No worries! We aim to please :)

I've been doing some testing myself with it. I've got a newer version that I need to give you. The one you have has a tendency to think it's full when it's empty (and deactivate if deactivateIfEmpty is true). I also added a few things, and hopefully improved any potential shenanigans with resource transfer (the part.RequestResource() method) by adding in a minimum transfer amount.

For inputs, it only requests the minimum transfer if the rate is lower than that, and just waits until it runs out to call it again. If the rate is lower than the minimum, it'll show up on the GUI with occasional blips of 0.0001.

With outputs, it stockpiles the resource until it gets more than the minimum, then transfers all of it to the vessel.

I also added a canOverflow parameter, which if set to false will stop the converter from running (but won't deactivate it) if there's nowhere to put something. This should take some micromanaging out of it if you're using something at a slower rate than the converter is producing it.

There's also a new "Status" field in the part's context menu which will read "Deactivated", "Nominal", "Overflowing!", or "Underflowing!" depending on its activation state, and whether there is a bottleneck somewhere.

Edit: The new one works amazingly at anything below 10,000x warp. For some reason, it fails pretty bad after that. :\

You're awesooome

i Saw earlier in the thread that the TAC parts were on hold till TAC switched from the 1 unit/day format, which the new 0.9 TAC prerelease does. any hints on what to expect from the TAC parts pack? love this mod, as it makes my rockets much nicer to look at, as well as adding lots of good functionality

Well, the TAC part development was on hold until TAC converted, because we had other things to make in the meantime. Now that TACs ready, and we're ready, part development's started.

So far we have a water filtration unit to convert greywater (liquid waste) to potable water, liquid and solid waste tanks, a food wedge, and a revised water tank to hold much more liquid. After TAC we'll have new O2 tanks, a new fuel cell, new decouplers, wedge adaptors, and shrouds. After that, as a spinoff thing, i'll be making Universal Storage-esque fuel tanks to replace the X-200 16, the S3-7200, and the S3-14400.

Thanks for the praise! :D

Edited by Daishi

I'm having a problem with your decouplers, namely, I have no idea how to decouple them. They don't have an action group, they don't appear to have a right click menu, at least not one that I can access. Am I just being a blundering idiot, or is something wrong?

Here is a TweakScale MM file for the Core Universal Storage parts. Also, I keep hearing about a TACLS patch for Universal Storage, can anyone drop me some information on that?

@PART[US_c_Hub_Quadcore]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_d_Hub_Octocore]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_f_Dec_SafetyDecoupler125]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_e_Dec_SafetyDecoupler250]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_i_Wedge_FuelCell]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_j_Wedge_Elektron]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_l_Wedge_Hydrogen]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_m_Wedge_Oxygen]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_q_Wedge_Water]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_Wedge_Fuel]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_Wedge_Monoprop]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_R90_Wedge_ScienceBay]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[US_Radial_Oxygen]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

I'm having a problem with your decouplers, namely, I have no idea how to decouple them. They don't have an action group, they don't appear to have a right click menu, at least not one that I can access. Am I just being a blundering idiot, or is something wrong?

Read the change logs -- it was disabled because it causes a critical crash with Mechjeb and Engineer. By design, it should require a kerbal to manually cause it to detach, in emergencies; however at the moment it is turned off and it only there for looks!

Hope this helps!

[...] Also, I keep hearing about a TACLS patch for Universal Storage, can anyone drop me some information on that?

All I can say is that it's coming soonâ„¢.

Their definition of soonâ„¢ may vary from ours.

Well, the TAC part development was on hold until TAC converted, because we had other things to make in the meantime. Now that TACs ready, and we're ready, part development's started.

So far we have a water filtration unit to convert greywater (liquid waste) to potable water, liquid and solid waste tanks, a food wedge, and a revised water tank to hold much more liquid. After TAC we'll have new O2 tanks, a new fuel cell, new decouplers, wedge adaptors, and shrouds. After that, as a spinoff thing, i'll be making Universal Storage-esque fuel tanks to replace the X-200 16, the S3-7200, and the S3-14400.

Awesome! I have putting my manned missions to a hold until I have your storage containers for TAC because the stock ones are really rustling my jimmies. Especially the hex containers. Can't wait to finally play with them with a working version of KAS. :)

It's the little things that make this game awesome. I hope you don't mind calling your "mod" little. :P

Awesome! I have putting my manned missions to a hold until I have your storage containers for TAC because the stock ones are really rustling my jimmies. Especially the hex containers. Can't wait to finally play with them with a working version of KAS. :)

It's the little things that make this game awesome. I hope you don't mind calling your "mod" little. :P

Not at all! If anything, the game lacks the little things that makes for an immersive EVA experience. We hope we're filling a niche :)

Here is a TweakScale MM file for the Core Universal Storage parts. Also, I keep hearing about a TACLS patch for Universal Storage, can anyone drop me some information on that?

Thankyou for that - i'll have to give it a whirl sometime. With the future HD textures, larger parts shouldn't look too bad. Does this scale resource capacities too?

Edited by Daishi

Low memory footprint

Kerbal Space Program is a 32 bit application and so there is a limit to the number of mods and parts that can be installed. Universal Storage has been built with this limitation in mind. Our parts have very small textures to ensure a low memory footprint, so even if you use lots of mods you shouldn't have any trouble with out parts.

So, these parts are great and look great. However I have a LOT of mods, and stacking 6x4 of these to make a really complete science bay, my game starts to lag (20 fps drop).

I have a pretty beastly computer, but KSP doesn't seem to be able to keep with these!

Edited by Yaushee

So, these parts are great and look great. However I have a LOT of mods, and stacking 6x4 of these to make a really complete science bay, my game starts to lag (20 fps drop).

I have a pretty beastly computer, but KSP doesn't seem to be able to keep with these!

Are you sure? :\

Ive noticed that the 64bit build seems to lag and stutter far more than 32bit ever did - maybe its that? What's your mod list look like?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.