Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Read the change logs -- it was disabled because it causes a critical crash with Mechjeb and Engineer. By design, it should require a kerbal to manually cause it to detach, in emergencies; however at the moment it is turned off and it only there for looks!

Hope this helps!

they work great as really cool looking part spacers though :cool:

Also great to hear on the work on TAC! This is by far one of the best looking mods out there, and TAC's parts are pretty much the opposite. Having parts that look as good as the actual gameplay that TAC delivers would be awesome

Edited by Tripod27

Wow, this is really awesome! Appeals to my OCD that wants to fit everything into tiny aerodynamic boxes :D

Though could I suggest that you add more parts along the lines of having a 2,5 meter structure and then instead of having 8 small bays (the size that you also attach to the 1,25m "stick") use 4 bays that are bigger and allow for larger stuff to be inside. It would be nice if you could fit a Goo Container into one of those larger bays in addition to larger batteries, etc. Maybe even a Science Junior?

I think it'd be really cool :P

It would be nice if you could fit a Goo Container into one of those larger bays in addition to larger batteries, etc. Maybe even a Science Junior?

Check out the mod DMagic Orbital Science. If you have both DMagic and Universal Storage, you can get special wedges for science parts from DMagic. Makes your rockets look nice!

they work great as really cool looking part spacers though :cool:

Also great to hear on the work on TAC! This is by far one of the best looking mods out there, and TAC's parts are pretty much the opposite. Having parts that look as good as the actual gameplay that TAC delivers would be awesome

:sticktongue:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73455-WIP-Universal-Storage?p=1303024&viewfull=1#post1303024

Wow, this is really awesome! Appeals to my OCD that wants to fit everything into tiny aerodynamic boxes :D

Though could I suggest that you add more parts along the lines of having a 2,5 meter structure and then instead of having 8 small bays (the size that you also attach to the 1,25m "stick") use 4 bays that are bigger and allow for larger stuff to be inside. It would be nice if you could fit a Goo Container into one of those larger bays in addition to larger batteries, etc. Maybe even a Science Junior?

Check out the mod DMagic Orbital Science. If you have both DMagic and Universal Storage, you can get special wedges for science parts from DMagic. Makes your rockets look nice!

What ev0 said! Alternatively, there was a Tweakscale config somebody made for us a few pages back, that should be capable of scaling up the quadcore and science bay (and everything else) to larger sizes. Should do what you're after :)

I see that in the .75 change notes it's mentioned that some changes were made "to prepare for better FAR support". Should I be interpreting that to mean that if I use US parts with FAR I may have unplanned rapid disassemblies, but that will be less the case in the near future?

Those models look gorgeous, Daishi. At the risk of breaking one of my own rules (because I'm so damn excited I just can't resist asking), is there any rough ETA on the TAC support?

I totally understand if you're not willing to give one. I hate when people ask that question. I'm just ridiculously hyped for it.

Edit: You know what, I thought of a better and more reasonable way to phrase the question that doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. What's left? How much more modeling needs to be done? And what needs to be done besides that? Is there any specific coding work you need help with? I'd love to contribute. Can't model or make things pretty for ...., but I can write code.

Great work, and thanks for a great mod!

Edited by Rakh

I see that in the .75 change notes it's mentioned that some changes were made "to prepare for better FAR support". Should I be interpreting that to mean that if I use US parts with FAR I may have unplanned rapid disassemblies, but that will be less the case in the near future?

I have no issues with that currently (and some of my ships have a TWR so high it melts bits off the front if I don't throttle down) so you should be fine as far as disassembly goes

It might just have issues with the parts making a bit more or less drag or lift than they should which might lead to other issues like making your craft unstable at any decent angle of attack or them being overly draggy or not draggy enough which makes getting to orbit easier/harder than it should be

Those models look gorgeous, Daishi. At the risk of breaking one of my own rules (because I'm so damn excited I just can't resist asking), is there any rough ETA on the TAC support?

I totally understand if you're not willing to give one. I hate when people ask that question. I'm just ridiculously hyped for it.

Edit: You know what, I thought of a better and more reasonable way to phrase the question that doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. What's left? How much more modeling needs to be done? And what needs to be done besides that? Is there any specific coding work you need help with? I'd love to contribute. Can't model or make things pretty for ...., but I can write code.

Great work, and thanks for a great mod!

No worries, i'm stoked we're getting such a enthusiastic following! :D

Progress wise, modelling for just the TAC release, i've got the water tank mesh resolved and optimised, and i'm just mucking around with the textures. Most of that is done though, and i just need to texture the back interface port, pipes, and heater box. The food bag I made ages ago doesn't fit in the new wedges or cores, doesn't stack very well, and needs to be remade and unwrapped again. Considering i know what i'm going to me making off the bat, it shouldn't take that long.

I'll reuse the water tank model for the grey water model, but i'm making it a solid walled canister due to Paul enlightening me that, yes, urine is typically recycled and visible in the tank (not frozen and added to solid waste like i thought). Urgh ><

Solid waste containers haven't been resolved yet, but will be solid walled too (obviously), so that will cut down texture time by a third (as the water tank has three maps - alpha, diffuse and spec). Still have no clue how to shape them without making them too similar in form to either wastewater or the KAS box. Could be a mesh bag exposed to vacuum? Dunno.

Then the water purifier, which has a semi-resolved concept but has had no modelling work done on it. That will likely take a bit of time - the converters are a bit more detailed because you can get away with only having a few. I try to keep resource containers as conservative as possible, around 1000 - 2000 tris each. The water tank has 996 at the moment, hydrogen 1696, oxygen 1550, etc. The generators go up to 3000+. KSP underutilizes polygons (and relies on a "grab everything at once on startup" asset loader that bloats RAM) and i feel that expressing detail with actual mesh is more performance efficient than dumping a ton of memory-hungry normal maps on there. Reducing texture map usage also helps keep the distribution size small, and helps to keep Pauls hosting costs low.

Really appreciate the offer for help, but as it stands we are pretty much all set in regards to 'staff' :P Most of the work is just 3D stuff and our only real code-based dependencies at the moment are KAS and Stupid_Chris's animation plugin, plus an in-development generator plugin thanks to the very generous work of okbillybunnyface, which fixes things that 0.24 broke. You could always subscribe to the development thread and give feedback if you want.

I have no issues with that currently (and some of my ships have a TWR so high it melts bits off the front if I don't throttle down) so you should be fine as far as disassembly goes

It might just have issues with the parts making a bit more or less drag or lift than they should which might lead to other issues like making your craft unstable at any decent angle of attack or them being overly draggy or not draggy enough which makes getting to orbit easier/harder than it should be

FAR should work well enough for the wedges under capsules and nose cones, but the future support that I mentioned is to do with the Science Bay shielding its internals like a proper cargo bay. My revisions in the last update was just reducing the space between the wedges collision meshes, so that the atmosphere doesn't whistle around the parts as much as they did before.

The "issue" with FAR is that it currently doesn't see the containers as being sealed/closed in due to the way the models used to have to be made. Apparently that's changing soon.

Yep, it'll be bundled with the TAC update, as will the lightened wedges, support clamps, and stock-alike caution stickers. New oxygen tanks are going to be postponed to after TAC to save time and shorten the release process :)

Edited by Daishi

I had a crazy idea of how to deal with solid waste, of course if this would be possible of course, have some device the converts it into monoprop. It could use water, electricity, and maybe oxygen to convert it into useable monoprop. Maybe at 5 units of each source to make 2.5 units of monoprop so it is not a full 1 to 1 conversion (the numbers could be anything I just used these as examples). The other thought was to have it turn into food, but that might be a bit silly.....and just a bit gross lol :0.0:

(The following ideas are brought you by my insomnia, and should be taken with a grain of gun powder.) :wink:

Ah cool. I did have a look at those. Looks good. That at least answers for some of my needs. I would still like to have 2.5m Quad-Bays (not Octo-Bays). I can think of lots of stuff I'd want to fit in a larger bay, including communication equipment and what not :) Anyways, I was under the assumption that creating the new parts wasn't a big hassle as you could probably reuse the "stick" and container models and just make them bigger?

As this mod is still in development I hope that it will be taken into consideration.

Are you sure? :\

Ive noticed that the 64bit build seems to lag and stutter far more than 32bit ever did - maybe its that? What's your mod list look like?

I'm still on 32bits -but so many mods: http://i.imgur.com/4op9QlH.jpg

Tried it without any mods, still dropping ~15 fps: http://i.imgur.com/QV0WK8z.png (top left)

With mods: http://i.imgur.com/ToK8DbT.png

However, on the launchpad, it's dropping frames ONLY with mods. :(

This is starting to become my favorite WIP plugin right now!

Thanks for the highly detailed updates. It makes waiting so much more worthwhile! :D

Looking really forward to playing with the end result! It's going to change the way TAC will feel so dramatically.

Version 0.75.3 Released

This minor release, which should be the last until 0.80 (The TAC pack!)

This release fixed the processor issues caused by the KSP stock ModuleGenerator. We've replaced it with Generic Resource Convertor, created for us by the awesome OkBillyBunnyFace.

We've also tweaked a few values for balance and realism.

Unfortunately we've had to remove the ECLSS pack as 0.24 has broken ECLSS is a way that can't be fixed without recompiling the source code and getting a licence to do so.

Full change log available on the website and the first post of this thread.

www.kingtiger.co.uk

Version 0.75.3 Released

This minor release, which should be the last until 0.80 (The TAC pack!)

This release fixed the processor issues caused by the KSP stock ModuleGenerator. We've replaced it with Generic Resource Convertor, created for us by the awesome OkBillyBunnyFace.

We've also tweaked a few values for balance and realism.

Unfortunately we've had to remove the ECLSS pack as 0.24 has broken ECLSS is a way that can't be fixed without recompiling the source code and getting a licence to do so.

Full change log available on the website and the first post of this thread.

www.kingtiger.co.uk

Sweet. Also, have you figured out the problem with your decouplers? I edited their cofigs to make them functional and they're doing just fine on my end...

Sweet. Also, have you figured out the problem with your decouplers? I edited their cofigs to make them functional and they're doing just fine on my end...

Yeah, the problem happens when you attach things to the wrong node, which is easy to do because they are so close together.

Our fix, which will be after the TAC pack is to create new models which will have the nodes further apart.

I'm still on 32bits -but so many mods: http://i.imgur.com/4op9QlH.jpg

Tried it without any mods, still dropping ~15 fps: http://i.imgur.com/QV0WK8z.png (top left)

With mods: http://i.imgur.com/ToK8DbT.png

However, on the launchpad, it's dropping frames ONLY with mods. :(

Tried a stock 32 bit install, default graphics settings, just a single pod in the VAB. Stays consistently on 59-60fps with small 3fps ticks (Unity garbage collection).

QxHAkCh.jpg

Added US_Core, like your mod list says, started up the game and did the same. No change in framerate at all, barring the Unity thing. I kept adding parts until i got to twice your rockets height, and still nothing. The only time it started to lag was after i made a 250 octocore monstrosity (with 2500 nodes the game has to keep track of), and that only took it down to 25-40 fps. Physics counter was still green outside, amidst the floppiness.

ArJq2Km.jpg

Suspect its another one of your mods causing trouble, but 40fps is still pretty admirable with that many of them :)

Edited by Daishi

Dear Mr. Kingtiger! I just wanted to let you know that I find your mod amazing! It's incredibly well thought-out and very, very practical and finally allows for aesthetically pleasing vessel construction.

I also wanted to do the rude thing: ask you for an ETA on TAC support. I recently installed both TAC and US and couldn't help but try to get those to work together. Here's the result:

DhQJsjY.png

As you can see, I fit 2 hexcan food tanks into one science bay, and just put one waste container without a science bay. While this does work "somehow", I feel like it would be more amazing with your mod since a) It looks more awesome B) should increase the capacity (just look at all this unused space!).

Oh and the Oxygen/Water wedges are already in use of course. Also, do you plan to make CO2->O2 and WasteH20->H2O converter wedges? The ones from TAC look kind of ... let's just say simplistic.

Also, on a sidenote:

do you plan to make something like a "hexadecimal core" for the 3.75 m stack?

So this works with TAC, but you don't have TAC wedges? Am I understanding that correctly? cause I would really like to use this mod.

You are correct. You can use the Oxygen/Water wedges for TAC however.

Dear Mr. Kingtiger! I just wanted to let you know that I find your mod amazing! It's incredibly well thought-out and very, very practical and finally allows for aesthetically pleasing vessel construction.

I also wanted to do the rude thing: ask you for an ETA on TAC support. I recently installed both TAC and US and couldn't help but try to get those to work together. Here's the result:

http://i.imgur.com/DhQJsjY.png

As you can see, I fit 2 hexcan food tanks into one science bay, and just put one waste container without a science bay. While this does work "somehow", I feel like it would be more amazing with your mod since a) It looks more awesome B) should increase the capacity (just look at all this unused space!).

Oh and the Oxygen/Water wedges are already in use of course. Also, do you plan to make CO2->O2 and WasteH20->H2O converter wedges? The ones from TAC look kind of ... let's just say simplistic.

Also, on a sidenote:

do you plan to make something like a "hexadecimal core" for the 3.75 m stack?

There's a good ballpark outline of all the work i have to do a few pages back. As for more cores, I doubt it. I'll be finishing what i've planned first.

Edited by Daishi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.