Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Maybe I've missed it, but are there any empty bays, so I can make my ship all pretty and symmetrical? I suppose I could just put an empty monoprop/fuel can on, but it'd be nice to have a 1 or 2 unit tall empty bay to put modules in from other plugins.

There's a "Science Bay" that's just an empty wedge, IIRC.

Hi! Is it normal that my Water Purifier overheats?

It is always a nice idea to read the last few pages before you post.

Paul explained this in at least 3 of his last 10 posts and also just a few above yours.

The wedges are not balanced for the new thermal system.

Hi guys, slight delay on the next release (with heat balancing and USI LS support). I've got a tight deadline for my day job and it mean's I've been working evenings instead of having fun.

Hope to get it released Friday.

Real life comes first Paul, the sane ones of us get that

It is always a nice idea to read the last few pages before you post.

Paul explained this in at least 3 of his last 10 posts and also just a few above yours.

The wedges are not balanced for the new thermal system.

Thanks for the summary!

Maybe I've missed it, but are there any empty bays, so I can make my ship all pretty and symmetrical? I suppose I could just put an empty monoprop/fuel can on, but it'd be nice to have a 1 or 2 unit tall empty bay to put modules in from other plugins.

There's a "Science Bay" that's just an empty wedge, IIRC.

Someone mentioned it a ways back, but if a battery wedge were added, I'd be in favour of using that also. Hint hint. ;)

Someone mentioned it a ways back, but if a battery wedge were added, I'd be in favour of using that also. Hint hint. ;)

Having kerbals ferry bateries from a station to a ship would allow me more options to resupply.

On a different note I use TAC life support and was wondering if there is a single wedge that I can use to store food/water/o2 in the correct quantities instead having to use three.

Same goes for co2/waste/wastewater

I copied the food wedge and renamed it life support wedge. I have edited to use some resources ratio with my calculator that looked a bit like tac does on its parts but have no clue whether this is balanced

RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 17.8
maxAmount = 17.8
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 11.6
maxAmount = 11.6
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 1803.5
maxAmount = 1803.5
}

Are there any other things needed to change for this custom wedge to work properly. What I did was copy the folder named US_1R320_Wedge_Food and rename it.

Edited the description and modified its resourses

Version 1.1.0.3 Relased

This is a minor update adding USI Life Support parts and reduces the heat output of the processors, so you shouldn't overheat so much, although the Sabatier still put out the heat.

Download from Kerbal Stuff and ksp.kingtiger.co.uk. CKAN should update in the next 24 hours. More information in the first post.

Are there any other things needed to change for this custom wedge to work properly. What I did was copy the folder named US_1R320_Wedge_Food and rename it.

Edited the description and modified its resourses

For sandbox that's all you need.

Yay for update! :D

I do however second adding radiator wedges suggested a few pages back, not as much for US processors (now that they're rebalanced) but for the whole ship to benefit from. Testing a electric atmospheric minivtol using the fuel cell as extra power supply, and all the heat gets dumped into the fuselage section to explosion (then again, this was in 1.1.0.2...), so having an additional small form-factor heat radiator (and in my case, that won't break when flying in-atmo).

Still I'd understand if it's not in the design vision. US is already quite excellent and useful for what it can do. :)

I made a quick patch for the Community Tech Tree. I primarily wanted to

0) Fill up the 4th wedge for a probe of mine

1) Make the hex core useful when you get it (the science wedge is now available at the same time) and

2) line up wedges in general with their comparative parts.

I struggled a bit with where to put the 'waste' tanks - I put them in recycling for now. It seemed the best fit even though nothing else is in that node (at least with my mods, which are plenty)

Anyway, here it is for your enjoyment. Just drop it somewhere in your GameData folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a65j13irbhtjsa/CTTpatch.cfg?dl=0

Thanks for that GrimerX, saved me a bunch of time. I was going to sit down and make a patch myself when I happened to check the thread again. I like how the wedge versions are all at least at or one tier higher than their counterparts and in the aerodynamics tree. Seems to all fit pretty nicely.

Not sure if you're already aware of these, but I found two minor mistakes in the .cfgs in v1.1.0.3. For your Science Bay Wedge, you have "TechRequired = scienceTech", but it looks like Squad changed that node's name to "basicScience" (I was looking for that wedge in the tech tree and couldn't find it. Now I know why!)

Second is for your EVAX, with the KIS module. You have "runSpeed = 0.8", but that's actually the default value for walking speed. That is, the Kerbal will move at a walking place when you want him to run. Running speed default value is 2.2. The KIS wiki looks like it was updated and has more for info on movement speeds: https://github.com/KospY/KIS/wiki/ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker

Not sure if you're already aware of these, but I found two minor mistakes in the .cfgs in v1.1.0.3. For your Science Bay Wedge, you have "TechRequired = scienceTech", but it looks like Squad changed that node's name to "basicScience" (I was looking for that wedge in the tech tree and couldn't find it. Now I know why!)

Second is for your EVAX, with the KIS module. You have "runSpeed = 0.8", but that's actually the default value for walking speed. That is, the Kerbal will move at a walking place when you want him to run. Running speed default value is 2.2. The KIS wiki looks like it was updated and has more for info on movement speeds: https://github.com/KospY/KIS/wiki/ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker

Thanks for letting me know. I'm working with a customer this week, away from home, but I'll try to get a fix out for this.

The run speed I might leave as is though. It makes sense that a Kerbal wearing the EVAx would not be able to run around.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm working with a customer this week, away from home, but I'll try to get a fix out for this.

The run speed I might leave as is though. It makes sense that a Kerbal wearing the EVAx would not be able to run around.

Unfortunately the Kerbal still uses the running annimation at full speed, but at a walking pace. It looks pretty funny. If you want the Kerbal to walk and run at 80% normal speed, you'd have to set

walkSpeed=0.8*0.8

runSpeed=2.2*0.8

I think the animations will still move at 100% speed, but it probably won't look as funny.

Edited by ev0

Having kerbals ferry bateries from a station to a ship would allow me more options to resupply.

On a different note I use TAC life support and was wondering if there is a single wedge that I can use to store food/water/o2 in the correct quantities instead having to use three...

I do however second adding radiator wedges suggested a few pages back, not as much for US processors (now that they're rebalanced) but for the whole ship to benefit from. Testing a electric atmospheric minivtol using the fuel cell as extra power supply, and all the heat gets dumped into the fuselage section to explosion (then again, this was in 1.1.0.2...), so having an additional small form-factor heat radiator (and in my case, that won't break when flying in-atmo).

Still I'd understand if it's not in the design vision. US is already quite excellent and useful for what it can do. :)

I'm pushing myself to get back up to speed with modelling and texturing after the break i've had - i'll see what i can do with batteries and radiators soon. I have to finish something I promised for Ippo and Coffeeman first :)

The way things are set up now the wedge structure acts as a radiator, this is to account for the fins on the outer, black section of of the casing. Having a radiator wedge would be a little more complex as you have to pipe the heat to it from wherever, which is not really well modeled in the game. You can set the thermal conductivity of a part, but there's no way (currently) to build a heat pipe to get heat directly to the radiator. That means you have to directly attach radiators to the heat generating system to be most effective, which leads to a solar panel style, deplorable radiator which can be surface attached directly to the hot part.

A battery wedge is a much easier prospect and the challenge is purely in creating the model.

The way things are set up now the wedge structure acts as a radiator, this is to account for the fins on the outer, black section of of the casing. Having a radiator wedge would be a little more complex as you have to pipe the heat to it from wherever, which is not really well modeled in the game. You can set the thermal conductivity of a part, but there's no way (currently) to build a heat pipe to get heat directly to the radiator. That means you have to directly attach radiators to the heat generating system to be most effective, which leads to a solar panel style, deplorable radiator which can be surface attached directly to the hot part.

A battery wedge is a much easier prospect and the challenge is purely in creating the model.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the limitations, considering your design vision, and probably how heat flow is modeled in-game. At least the processors can take care of themselves with their own fins. :)

I made a quick patch for the Community Tech Tree. I primarily wanted to

0) Fill up the 4th wedge for a probe of mine

1) Make the hex core useful when you get it (the science wedge is now available at the same time) and

2) line up wedges in general with their comparative parts.

I struggled a bit with where to put the 'waste' tanks - I put them in recycling for now. It seemed the best fit even though nothing else is in that node (at least with my mods, which are plenty)

Anyway, here it is for your enjoyment. Just drop it somewhere in your GameData folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a65j13irbhtjsa/CTTpatch.cfg?dl=0

Thank you man

Yes they will.

Hmm... any way to avoid that, by editing config files or the like? I'd like to have the option to phase out TAC - it tends to discourage me from doing interplanetary trips (as I keep having to first pull everyone back, wrap up all rescue missions, etc.)

Also - since 1.02, I've got a weird bug where Universal Storage parts always have a weird red glow to them, like with the overheating display but always on. Know what causes that?

Hmm... any way to avoid that, by editing config files or the like? I'd like to have the option to phase out TAC - it tends to discourage me from doing interplanetary trips (as I keep having to first pull everyone back, wrap up all rescue missions, etc.)

Also - since 1.02, I've got a weird bug where Universal Storage parts always have a weird red glow to them, like with the overheating display but always on. Know what causes that?

Why don't you just scale the CFG's to make the supplies last longer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.