Kassandra (interplanetary compact ship) v3.01, gravity turn? automatic once again!

H2O.

Hello everybody!

I build this interplanetary ship a few months ago, and I decided it is worth sharing.

I build it with only one thing in mind: fun.

To be more precise:

• Good play value: contains a rover, a probe, a scout, lot of science stuff, nice-looking staging event
  • Low part count (because lag is not fun): 119
  • Easy-going lauch vehicle, automatic gravity turn (because the part between the ground and the parking orbit is the most fun in my opinion)
  • High quantity of delta-v (but not too much, since too easy is not fun), most celestial bodies accessible
  • Good control capabilities (because difficulty should lie in the mission, not in the way your spacecraft rotate)
  • Esthetic (well, you are going to look at the ship for a few hours so...)

Spoiler

3.01 version

• 119 parts instead of 120
  • automatic gravity turn works once again
  • fairing tweaked for clamsell effect

3.0 version

• brand new lifter, with better automated gravity turn
  • suppression of the satellite and the scout
  • new probe, far more useful
  • fuel cells everywhere, so you can once again go to Jool
  • 120 parts instead of 129
  • imgur album modifications to match changes
  • rewriting of some of the manual's sections to match changes

2.14 version

• Booster size reduced to take into account the new atmosphere settings
  • In consequence, the automated gravity turn and the automated second stage are functional again
  • parachutes tuned for safe re-entry
  • 129 parts instead of 128

2.13 version

• fix the exploding fairing
  • nuclear stage now able to burn infinitely without exploding
  • 128 parts instead of 131

2.12 version

• Automated gravity turn, nothing to do until you reach space!
  • Air-brakes on the second stages ditched (they were totally useless as the stage already orient itself correctly and is stable)
  • 131 parts instead of 133

2.11 version

• Nuclear engines heating allow for a 5 minutes burn at full throttle (against 3 min 30 s before)
  • Little changes in the manual to make clearer the fact that you should use "Action Group 1" to jettisoned the fairing during launch.
  • The rover is now capable of caring the mystery goo! (so a long drive is more rewarding in term of science harvest).
  • Parachutes on boosters are not "stowed" anymore
  • 133 parts instead of 136

2.1 version

• Launch vehicle now entirely recoverable...
  • ... with an almost entirely automated procedure (really, you just have to throttle up at one point)
  • ... with an almost entirely automated procedure (really, you just have to throttle up at one point)
  • 136 parts instead of 137
  • re-factoring of the attachment system for the scout and the satellite

2.0 version

• new scout! to explore Ike
  • 137 parts instead of 138
  • re-factoring of the lifter
  • nuclear stage is now used for interplanetary burn
  • ion ring ditched and command module autonomous
  • added fairings
  • imgur album totally redone

1.61 version

• less parts (now 138 against 145 in v1.6)
  • back to Korolev's cross for the first staging event
  • back to the small parachute for the command module
  • imgur album modified to match changes

1.6 version

• new satellite! to map your destination rather than going blind
  • use of the new editor to lower part count (now 145 against 154 in v1.5)
  • better alignement of a lot of parts
  • nuclear stage is now a separate subbassembly
  • first staging more spectacular
  • lots of little changes to smooth things a bit
  • removal of the fairing variant, it was ugly and boring

1.5 version

• solar panels now horizontal
  • battery on the lander moved near the hatch of the pod
  • decoupler between the nuclear stage and the material bay is now a tiny red one
  • decoupler between the third stage and the nuclear stage is now a big white one
  • separatrons on the third stage removed
  • slight refactoring of the first stage (now composed of 2 clusters of 2 liquid fuel boosters instead of 4 liquid fuel boosters)
  • part count is now 154 against 157 in v1.4
  • added a fairing variant of the ship
  • added a fairing subbassembly

1.4 version

• 3 RCS thrusters instead of 4, largely enough given the size of the ship
  • re-organization of struts, in order for the ship not to wobble during launch
  • no more strut attached to the rover so the front solar panel of the rover now stay clean
  • the ion ring's decoupler don't show apparent remaining struts after staging
  • rotation of one of the solar panel, in order to eyeball ship attitude more easily
  • 4 separatrons removed on stage 1
  • part count is now 157 against 166 in v1.3

1.3 version

• escape tower separation much smoother
  • parachute don't burn in reentry anymore: it deploy at roughly 5000 meters and fully open at 300 meters
  • RCS tanks removed (the amount of monopropellant in the command module tank is largely enough for several docking with such a small ship), resulting in an increase thrust-to-weight ratio and delta/v on the ion ring tanks removed (the amount of monopropellant in the command module tank is largely enough for several docking with such a small ship), resulting in an increase thrust-to-weight ratio and delta/v on the ion ring tanks removed (the amount of monopropellant in the command module tank is largely enough for several docking with such a small ship), resulting in an increase thrust-to-weight ratio and delta/v on the ion ring
  • same quantity of xenon gas, but with big tanks instead of small ones in order to reduce part count
  • docking port on the ion ring rotated in order to match command pod's orientation
  • one landing light added to the lander
  • RCS tank on the lander now empty, resulting in an increase of thrust-to-weight ratio of 2% and more delta/v in the ascent stage of the lander (now 2700 m/s against 2600m/s in v1.2). Actually, tank on the lander now empty, resulting in an increase of thrust-to-weight ratio of 2% and more delta/v in the ascent stage of the lander (now 2700 m/s against 2600m/s in v1.2). Actually, tank on the lander now empty, resulting in an increase of thrust-to-weight ratio of 2% and more delta/v in the ascent stage of the lander (now 2700 m/s against 2600m/s in v1.2). Actually, RCS on the lander was totally useless, because the lander is not equipped with RCS thrusters!
  • complete refactoring of the first and second stage of the lifter in order to reduce part count and improve esthetic. Extensive use of new parts!
  • separatrons are now inclined to give separated stage a rotation movement in order to make staging more stable, smoother and cooler,
  • staging re-organize for smoother staging event
  • no more damages due to separatrons during staging (your “flight event†window will stay clean)
  • part count is now 166 against 189 in v1.2, with slight increase of capabilities.
  • new manual's section regarding abort procedures
  • rewriting of some manual's sections to match changes
  • rewriting of the first post of the thread for better presentation of the ship

1.2 version

• The 2 radials chutes are replaced by one mk16 parachute
  • 200 xenon unit less in the ion ring (in order to reduce part count)
  • re-factoring of the ion ring for reasons above and for esthetic reason. Given the weight reduction of chute and xenon fuel, no noticeable change in delta-v and slight increase in thrust-to-weight ratio
  • little science parts on the lander removed, since they are already on the rover
  • re-factoring of the rover in order to make science parts accessible while the ship is in space
  • actions groups modified in consequences
  • antenna on the rover moved in order to avoid clipping while attached to the lander
  • landing gear cubic struts now perfectly aligned
  • part count is now 189 against 195 in v1.1, no change in capabilities
  • rewriting of some sections of the manual to make it clearer and to match changes

1.1 version:

• removal of the emergency solar panel on the command module, as Kerbals can open solar panels if the ship runs out of power
  • removal of an undocumented and useless probe part on the top of the lander
  • change in separatrons positions for more aesthetically pleasing liquid-boosters separation event
  • two separatrons added to ease second stage separation event
  • two separatrons added to ease third stage separation event
  • clamps not needed anymore
  • reorganization of the lifter in order to reduce overall ship parts count (now 195 vs 210+ before, I don't remember exactly), no change in capabilities or flying methods
  • user's manual modifications in consequences

1VOwU1rh.png

The machine is composed of an autonomous command module, a lander, a rover, a probe and a 2-stage lifter. The amount of delta-v is very high, due to the use of ion engines for the return trip.

I am particularly proud of my lander, as it contains everything needed for a good planetary exploration (including a 2-seat rover, and all sciences parts) but remains very compact.

The dropbox link contains the craft, every parts of the vessel in subassemblies and a manual (that contains flying instructions and actions groups informations).

I hope you will enjoy flying it as much as I enjoyed building it!

download (dropbox)

Lift-Off Duna Approach
Roving on Duna
  Tiny Ship
lift-off arriving roving   tiny ship

Edited by H2O.
upgrade

@Jeb Cubed and ThatNoob

Thank you! I hope it will be usefull.

Small changes were made for the 1.1 version:

• removal of the emergency solar panel on the command module, as Kerbals can open solar panels if the ship runs out of power
  • change in separatrons positions for more aesthetically pleasing liquid-boosters separation event
  • two separatrons added to ease second stage separation event
  • two separatrons added to ease third stage separation event
  • clamps not needed anymore
  • reorganization of the lifter in order to reduce overall ship parts count (now 195 vs 210+ before, I don't remember exactly), no change in capabilities or flying methods
  • user's manual modifications in consequences

Don't hesitate to give me feedback (on my bad english too if you find problems in the user's manual).

Edited by H2O.

I'm having some issues folloing the directions. I end up staging at 14,000 instead of 28. I never make it that far before I end up ditching all the assent stage parts, but I'm following your directions to the letter. I lose the engine cluster at 14, turn to zero, and instantly start losing altitude. Does it three times and the only way to get into orbit is to use the poodle engine and use up all my fuel. At that point I can't make the journey to duna anymore due to lack of fuel.

Hello bigred2989.

I think you turn too fast. Once at 10.000 meters, turn slowly. I usually turn so slowly that when I reach 25 degrees, first stage is almost empty.

If that does not work for you, once you reach 10.000 meters, go for 45 degrees in the 90 direction until your apoapse reach 100 kilometers. Wait to reach it and then circularize.

Keep me informed. But it is getting late were I live. So perhaps I won't answer until tomorrow.

Edited by H2O.

Hello bigred2989.

I think you turn too fast. Once at 10.000 meters, turn slowly. I usually turn so slowly that when I reach 25 degrees, first stage is almost empty.

If that does not work for you, once you reach 10.000 meters, go for 45 degrees in the 90 direction until your apoapse reach 100 kilometers. Wait to reach it and then circularize.

Keep me informed. But it is getting late were I live. So perhaps I won't answer until tomorrow.

That seemed to be the issue. Thanks.

@ Bigred2989

You're welcome. Don't hesitate if any other issue occurs.

@ parameciumkid

Well, I am probably one of the last to use the Poodle too! :D

I build more in term of convenience than raw capabilities. If the Mainsail bring my ship to orbit without any need for deorbiting, it is better suited than a more efficient engine.

On the other hand, I have yet to build a lifter with the new parts. The current lifter is a slightly modified version (with only two of the new parts, used for esthetic only) of an old one of mine. I will soon try to make a capable and aesthetically pleasing lifter with new parts for the Kassandra.

@ LABHOUSE

The lander's thrust-to-weight ratio on Laythe is 1.02 and it has 2600 m/s worth of delta-v. So if you land on the highest place of this moon you might have a chance. However there is absolutely no margin of error. And orbit seems out of reach; so rendez-vous, docking and crew transfer have to be done in a minute or two. Good luck and take screenshots!

I have done a little Vall mission. Plenty of fuel for that!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And finally, v1.2 is out.

changes against v1.1

• The 2 radials chutes are replaced by one mk16 parachute
  • 200 xenon unit less in the ion ring (in order to reduce part count)
  • re-factoring of the ion ring for reasons above and for esthetic reason. Given the weight reduction of chute and xenon fuel, no noticeable change in delta-v and slight increase in thrust-to-weight ratio
  • little science parts on the lander removed, since they are already on the rover
  • re-factoring of the rover in order to make science parts accessible while the ship is in space
  • actions groups modified in consequences
  • antenna on the rover moved in order to avoid clipping while attached to the lander
  • landing gear cubic struts now perfectly aligned
  • part count is now 189 against 195 in v1.1, no change in capabilities
  • rewriting of some sections of the manual to make it clearer and to match changes

At first I thought it said "Interplanetary combat ship" and I was confused. Then I read the title again. Very nice design, I think you could probably use it for destinations much farther than Duna with the delta-V in the nuclear stage's tanks. I like that you put the ion stage entirely inside the large decoupler.

Where in my ksp folder do I put the subassemblies folder? I'd make a new thread to ask this but since you provided a folder of them I feel it's safe to ask.

No problem, glad to help.

Once in your KSP folders, go to "saves"

Then the name of the folder will probably be something like "Bigred2989"

Then "Subassemblies".

Yes indeed, I did a Vall mission yesterday (pictures on the first page). I will re-write the first post of this topic to make that clearer. Thank you for your interest.

You are welcome, thank you for your compliments.

I am currently redesigning the lifter with new parts. So far, it looks like part count will drop bellow 170.

I hope I can release tomorrow.

v1.3 is out! with new lifter

Changes against v1.2

• escape tower separation much smoother
  • parachute don't burn in reentry anymore: it deploy at roughly 5000 meters and fully open at 300 meters
  • RCS tanks removed (the amount of monopropellant in the command module tank is largely enough for several docking with such a small ship), resulting in an increase thrust-to-weight ratio and delta/v on the ion ring
  • same quantity of xenon gas, but with big tanks instead of small ones in order to reduce part count
  • docking port on the ion ring rotated in order to match command pod's orientation
  • one landing light added to the lander
  • RCS tank on the lander now empty, resulting in an increase of thrust-to-weight ratio of 2% and more delta/v in the ascent stage of the lander (now 2700 m/s against 2600m/s in v1.2). Actually, RCS on the lander was totally useless, because the lander is not equipped with RCS thrusters!
  • complete refactoring of the first and second stage of the lifter in order to reduce part count and improve esthetic. Extensive use of new parts!
  • separatrons are now inclined to give separated stage a rotation movement in order to make staging more stable, smoother and cooler,
  • staging re-organize for smoother staging event
  • no more damages due to separatrons during staging (your “flight event†window will stay clean)
  • part count is now 166 against 189 in v1.2, with slight increase of capabilities.
  • new manual's section regarding abort procedures
  • rewriting of some manual's sections to match changes
  • rewriting of the first post of the thread for better presentation of the ship

Enjoy it and as usual, every feedback or questions are welcomed.

Edited by H2O.
image removed

What a good ship! And a revolutionary return vessel! And I like the cool little manual that came with it xD

You totally NEED to put these fairings on it!!!

UEZT2Jv.gif4mi5T4b.gifLcUymyn.png

I'm still tweaking them, but if you'd like some, give me a shout ;^) (I don't charge)

They will be way better on your ship rather than my useless Apollo xD

Edited by Overfloater

Thank you! I was actually thinking of a variant equipped with fairing. So yes, I am willing to try them.

I just ran it on a stock install and it works fine for me. Is your KSP version upgraded to 0.23.5?

Edited by H2O.

v1.4 is out

Changes against v1.3

• 3 RCS thrusters instead of 4, largely enough given the size of the ship
  • re-organization of struts, in order for the ship not to wobble during launch
  • no more strut attached to the rover so the front solar panel of the rover now stay clean
  • the ion ring's decoupler don't show apparent remaining struts after staging
  • rotation of one of the solar panel, in order to eyeball ship attitude more easily
  • 4 separatrons removed on stage 1
  • part count is now 157 against 166 in v1.3

Next step is the variant with fairing!

Is it omni?(all body)

No it is not. Eve and Tylo are a no-go. I have my doubt for Laythe as the landing will be challenging with weak thrust-to-weight ratio (1.04) and no margin of error on delta-v capacities to return into orbit (2700 m/s).

I am thinking of an heavy variant for Eve and Tylo; but the "heavy" thing does not go along nicely with the nature of this ship, in my opinion.

Wow, great stuff. That Ion Ring concept is Awesome!

Glad you like it!

Yes that ion ring works great. It can be adapted to other ship or to unnmaned probes. There is still room for others ion engines and xenon fuel tanks, so it is possible to propulse a much heavier payload than just a command module.

On the link I provide, there is a ion ring subbassembly, so anybody can try it on any payload.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.